RC Helicopters

Ok, now unless I'm missing something that lil helicopter is just basically dissing all over the laws of physics as I understand them. :?

Holy ....! THAT is one of the most amazing things I have EVER seen!!
What he does with that helicopter seems to defy at least a couple of the laws of physics.
For example, the part where he makes it go around in circles with the main rotor almost vertical! How the .... does it get any lift?!
Everyone should watch this. Totally amazing.

I've seen this one before, pretty cool, but to me it looks like the speed of the video is about 2x. Not because of the stuff the helicopter does, but mainly because there's no way anyone could be that good with a video camera. The video is just way too steady for the amount of movement it does, and the zoom in/out speeds are amazingly fast.

But even if it was slowed down, it would look pretty damn cool. I've spent hours and hours using an R/C heli simulator and I've even attempted to fly one. Damn is it frustrating.

JBark, I thought that at first, but listen to the (perfect synced) sound. It doesn't sound double speed at all.

JBark said:
I've seen this one before, pretty cool, but to me it looks like the speed of the video is about 2x. Not because of the stuff the helicopter does, but mainly because there's no way anyone could be that good with a video camera.

...As opposed to being able to fly an RC helicopter like that? :rolleyes::LOL:

No, that video is not 2x original speed. No way. It's been shot by a good camera man, that's all.

yeah i can believe all of that. hop into Desert Combat and grab one of those tiny and really fast helicopters, you can do all kinds of crazy tricks. the only thing you cant do with them is fly upside down and spin the tail quite as fast.

I just watched a bunch more of these (google rc helicopter video) and they all look just like this, but for some reason this one video still looks "odd". I can't explain it, but I even watched some that had the same guy piloting, and they didn't seem as fast as this one. This one just seems "unnatural", where the other ones are fucking amazing but believable.

Some parts of that clip is sped up probably due to some inconsistent compression, delayed frames, dropped frames etc. That's why it looks odd. Under a stable and consistent framerate it would look believable.

Those manuevers are really flashy and everything, but just to let you guys know, the radios they use have programmable macro functions ie you can link many individual manuevers into chains and have it played back at the flip of a switch. You can program it like a sequencer. You can record manuevers into the radio's memory too. This is not to say that guy is not one heck of a RC pilot, but it's not as difficult as it looks once you try it and practice. Using a RC heli simulator for PC can help save you a lot of money from destroyed rotor blades, booms, frames etc.

Also keep in mind that the hp/weight ratio in RC models are many times higher than actual scale helicopters and vehicles. So when you see it hanging in the air vertical etc., just remember how much hp it has compared to how light it is. Also all the materials is several times stronger than what is used in a real heli with respect to its scale.

PC-Engine said:
Also keep in mind that the hp/weight ratio in RC models are many times higher than actual scale helicopters and vehicles. So when you see it hanging in the air vertical etc., just remember how much hp it has compared to how light it is. Also all the materials is several times stronger than what is used in a real heli with respect to its scale.

...and also that the physical properties of air don't scale down especially for the teenie-weenie aircraft.

I always thought RC 'copters were BORING. It's impressive to watch an expert handle one, but I dunno - you go to a show to see them and they can only have a couple up at a time, buzzing about. Once you've seen something like the display in the video, that's about it. The real jaw-droppers are the pulse jets, IMHO.

RC Hydro racing is the balls - 10 boats flying round an oval at 75mph+ for 5 minutes; splinters of carbon fibre, plywood and decimated buoy flying all over the place. :)

right i still dont believe thats true , but

http://www.helihobby.com/html/rc_helicopters_videos.html

seems to have a video of that alan szabo jr , and he's the world champ or something :-O

w.r.t. pulse jets being jaw dropping , i'd have said more ear splitting :) , seem to recal the model of a vulcan being nearly as loud as the real thing...

okay so when i saw the model it was a lot closer than when i'd seen the real thing ;)

-dave-

Back