Ratchet & Clank technical analysis *spawn

Also the floppy disk was just a figure of speech related to even lower data transfers...
Back of the envelope maths. A floppy disk could attain typically 50 KB/s on a good day ignoring head seeks. 16 GBs of game data would thus take at least 320,000 seconds, or around 90 hours to load, But that's assuming a floppy disk capable of storing 16 GB. If spread across multiple disks, you'd need 11,000 floppy disks. In reality, you'd spend 4 days without sleep swapping 11,000 disks to get the game to run. Loading the next level might take a day and 3,000 floppies.

Now you made me laugh... LOL

I guess perfurated cards are of the table then, right? :ROFLMAO:

But you could always use one of these:

hero-image.fill.size_994x559.v1678673325.jpg

It would be cheating... but...

i had the game Space Ace on my Atari ST, it was on five discs, the whole game from start to finish lasted around 5min, loadings and disc swaps included.

I would love to drive up to my 90's self with a truck load of floppys and see the look on my face when I tell me that's just 1 game in 2023 and it needs a PC a million times more powerful than my current one to run it.

I would love to drive up to my 90's self with a truck load of floppys and see the look on my face when I tell me that's just 1 game in 2023 and it needs a PC a million times more powerful than my current one to run it.
Would that really have surprised you? I thought life would be like The Jetsons by now when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. Science magazines talked about putting an end to aging.

Would that really have surprised you? I thought life would be like The Jetsons by now when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. Science magazines talked about putting an end to aging.

Probably not to be fair. My past self would likely be asking my current self what life like graphics inside fully realised and physically interactive VR worlds is like, and I'll be like err... hey look at what my phone can do!

Probably not to be fair. My past self would likely be asking my current self what life like graphics inside fully realised and physically interactive VR worlds is like, and I'll be like err... hey look at what my phone can do!
Reality is often disappointing.

Really ? CD games came out in the early 90s and Myst was like 93 and spent the rest of the decade in the top selling charts. If we are talking 3.5 inch floppy disks it be 3.88MB of storage. Round that up to 4MB for easy math and a 650MB cd can hold a 162 floppy discs already. Dvd was the mid to late 90s for games and well that was 4.7/8.5GB. Storage size was jumping like crazy in the 90s

Really ? CD games came out in the early 90s and Myst was like 93 and spent the rest of the decade in the top selling charts. If we are talking 3.5 inch floppy disks it be 3.88MB of storage. Round that up to 4MB for easy math and a 650MB cd can hold a 162 floppy discs already. Dvd was the mid to late 90s for games and well that was 4.7/8.5GB. Storage size was jumping like crazy in the 90s

I was gaming long before CD's. Maybe I should have said 80's self.

Back of the envelope maths. A floppy disk could attain typically 50 KB/s on a good day ignoring head seeks. 16 GBs of game data would thus take at least 320,000 seconds, or around 90 hours to load, But that's assuming a floppy disk capable of storing 16 GB. If spread across multiple disks, you'd need 11,000 floppy disks. In reality, you'd spend 4 days without sleep swapping 11,000 disks to get the game to run. Loading the next level might take a day and 3,000 floppies.
one of the greatest posts ever. I love floopy disks' physicality: how you insert it into the drive, then there is the sweet sound it makes as it reads and writes, then you eject the disk... Everything is very tactile, so incredible pleasant, almost liquid and satisfying!

Ok, so there's a good stress test I've found which is in the Bronze cup battle arena.. it's basically a speedle ride through multiple rifts.. very similar to the canned portal sequence.. but this time you're in control. The PS5 undoubtedly provides a much smoother experience through this challenge than my PC does. That goes without question... BUT I'm not sure if it is because of an issue with the port itself (maybe this challenge didn't get as much QA as the other stuff?) or if perhaps it's my middling 3900X CPU (which I will be replacing soon by switching to the AM5 platform and a Ryzen 7800X3D).. so perhaps someone with a higher end CPU could test it out and record it and post it? I'd like to see if any PC out there can actually run this section more smoothly.

Here it is:

one of the greatest posts ever. I love floopy disks' physicality: how you insert it into the drive, then there is the sweet sound it makes as it reads and writes, then you eject the disk... Everything is very tactile, so incredible pleasant, almost liquid and satisfying!
If you upgrade to zip drives you can have the click noise always !

Sorry for the question again...
What are the full specs of the machine.
3900x, 32 GB RAM, and what's about MB chipset, SSD type and speed and GPU?
Thank you for the info.

Ok, so there's a good stress test I've found which is in the Bronze cup battle arena.. it's basically a speedle ride through multiple rifts.. very similar to the canned portal sequence.. but this time you're in control. The PS5 undoubtedly provides a much smoother experience through this challenge than my PC does. That goes without question... BUT I'm not sure if it is because of an issue with the port itself (maybe this challenge didn't get as much QA as the other stuff?) or if perhaps it's my middling 3900X CPU (which I will be replacing soon by switching to the AM5 platform and a Ryzen 7800X3D).. so perhaps someone with a higher end CPU could test it out and record it and post it? I'd like to see if any PC out there can actually run this section more smoothly.

Here it is:
That's an issue with the port, as the 'On rails' sections like that are super easy to predict and thus preload.

There's very little reason why they can't preload that run a head of time and have it completely smooth.

Sorry for the question again...
What are the full specs of the machine.
3900x, 32 GB RAM, and what's about MB chipset, SSD type and speed and GPU?
Thank you for the info.
RTX4090
3900X @ 4.4GHz
AORUS X570 ELITE
32GB RAM 3600Mhz
WD SN850X Gen4 7GB/s

Back