Rancid's buying a PS3 today - What does he need?

For PSN games, you should be able to download and play them on up to 3 PS3s.
e.g., I have 2 PS3s, one at home and one at work. I can play my PSN games on both.

Your PSN game library is essentially your PSN download list. There should be a button called "download list" in your PSN screen.

For PSN games, you should be able to download and play them on up to 3 PS3s.
e.g., I have 2 PS3s, one at home and one at work. I can play my PSN games on both.

Oh, gotcha. So I can still play the game on another PS3 that I log into, I just have to download it first because it doesn't stream the game content from the cloud. Two different things, I was confusing the two.

That's pretty cool. And once they're downloaded on the respective consoles, you can just play them as long as you log in with the account that downloaded them?

Oh, gotcha. So I can still play the game on another PS3 that I log into, I just have to download it first because it doesn't stream the game content from the cloud. Two different things, I was confusing the two.

That's pretty cool. And once they're downloaded on the respective consoles, you can just play them as long as you log in with the account that downloaded them?

Note that I'm explaining how PS3 PSN works. We haven't heard any official confirmation for PS4 yet.

On PS3, once the game is downloaded onto the unit. Any dude or dudette on that device should be able to play the game (Not just the buyer).

If you buy games from another region, you should be able to play them on your PS3 also. But their DLCs are region coded.

EDIT:
As for your PS+ free games, you can play them without restriction too. You won't be able to access them when your subscription run out. But if you resubscribe, the same games should be available to you (assuming you have not gone away for too long, like 10 years ?).

EDIT 2:
This old GAF thread may help:

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371859

The image hosting site was banned. That's why all the game cover images are missing in that thread.

I haven't played around with it too much, just did the set-up, the PSN+ registration and then went to download Last of Us. Is there a way to see what games are available for free as a PSN+ member, or do I have to search through all the games and then just "know" which ones I can download for free as a PSN+ member?

Is there like a list some place, where it says "PSN+ free games" and then I can select the games I want to download?

Also, it looks like each game is around 50GB or so, so with a 250GB HDD that means I can only download 4 of them? If I download a PSN+ free game and then delete it because the free games have changed and I want to download a newer game, can I go back and download the old game again for free even though it is no longer offered as part of the PSN+ free downloads?

I haven't played around with it too much, just did the set-up, the PSN+ registration and then went to download Last of Us. Is there a way to see what games are available for free as a PSN+ member, or do I have to search through all the games and then just "know" which ones I can download for free as a PSN+ member?

Is there like a list some place, where it says "PSN+ free games" and then I can select the games I want to download?

Also, it looks like each game is around 50GB or so, so with a 250GB HDD that means I can only download 4 of them? If I download a PSN+ free game and then delete it because the free games have changed and I want to download a newer game, can I go back and download the old game again for free even though it is no longer offered as part of the PSN+ free downloads?

Yes go to psn plus section in the store there is a section for free games. You can also access the store from your desktop and purchase games. Once purchased you can redownload any time. The biggest game out of the free stuff is Uncharted at 33gigs, sorry on my phone cant post links.

In PS Store, under the Games category, there is a Playstation Plus tab. Your PS+ catalog is there.

If you browse other Games tabs, you should also see a yellow PS+ icon for items that have PS+ discounts.

The PSN games you "own" are in the download list. You can redownload them.

Note that purchased movies and TV episodes work differently. Those media are tied to the device. You can't move them to another PS3 (You can transfer them to a Vita and back though).

EDIT: Okay I lied. You can move purchased movies and TV episodes to another PS3 if you call their helpdesk. There may be a limit on how often you can do that.

Thanks, both of you, for helping me walk through this.

Just to clarify - there's nothing that I'm buying that goes into any Skydrive or Drive account that I can then access, correct?

It just gives me rights to download these things to my console (as you said previously, 2 consoles), so then I can play them after I download them?

What happens if I buy a movie off of the PSN? Can I access that movie at any time off of any device? Can I log into my PSN+ account from my HTC One X and watch a movie I purchased off of PSN+ and watch it on my little crappy cellphone screen?

Or do I need to download that movie to my phone? Which I can't do because my phone doesn't have enough memory to hold the entire movie?

I've never used any of these features before, and I was pretty damn happy with how MS had integrated these things and was even happier with how they had originally sold the One and its capabilities.

But hey. I just spent $250 to buy a PS3, I just spent another $50 to get a year of PSN+, and another $60 to download Last of Us. And I did it all to see how the PS3 works compared to the 360.

And don't think I'm not getting shit from my 360 friends about even doing this, because I already am, because apparently they read this forum.

But that's OK. I had a PS, it was amazing. I had three PS2's because those pieces of crap were even worse in terms of failures than the 360 (IMO anyway). But I've never bought a PS3 before tonight, because the 360 had the games I wanted to play and never had a reason to purchase a PS3. But I still don't have a BR player (because, again, I'm MS's premiere customer: I watch my movies over DD, why buy physical media?), yet I do have a BR disc that a co-worker lent me of Prometheus.

Now, the disc that he bought has both the BR and the DVD version and the DD version all included. Well, I tried to watch the DVD and first.. the quality sucks. I can't stand to watch DVD's anymore.. my entire collection is worthless. But in this instance, the DVD is also scratched or something so it's completely screwed up. Does the BR copy work? Don't know because I've never had a BR player before tonight.

So, I'll try to watch the BR version of the movie tomorrow. But, the point is that the the BR does add value to the PS3. Still to this day. I know I can buy a BR player for like $99, and not the $249.99 I paid for the PS3. But.. Ehhhh.. I've got other questions I want answered.

I don't want to be one of those fanboy pricks that think their system is the best. I really enjoy what the 360 offers me including the Live subscription. And I really love the Xbox controller (as do so many other people that there are multiple third party controllers for the PS3 that mimic the 360 controller and when the Wii and the WiiU offered additional controllers they mimic'd the Xbox controller not the PS controller), but let's see how this console works and does its business.

It's not really fair for me to bash a console as hard as I've been bashing the PS3 and the projected PS4 without actually using them first. It just isn't.

So, I've bought the PS3. I've signed up for a year of PSN+, the bundle that I purchased includes not only the move controller but also the move navigation controller and the PSEye, so I should have EVERYTHING the PS3 can offer me. Correct? If not, let me know, what else or other option didn't I get that would enhance this experience.

I haven't had a chance to do anything at this point because the PS3 is still downloading updates and downloading the game (last of us). So I don't know.

I'm hoping that when this game finally downloads and I start to play it, it will be the best thing I've ever played. All the reviews say this should be the case.

My fingers are crossed, because right now both Sony and MS can go fuck themselves with these crappy consoles that aren't even close to the PC I bought yesterday for $499.

Just to clarify - there's nothing that I'm buying that goes into any Skydrive or Drive account that I can then access, correct?

It just gives me rights to download these things to my console (as you said previously, 2 consoles), so then I can play them after I download them?

What happens if I buy a movie off of the PSN? Can I access that movie at any time off of any device? Can I log into my PSN+ account from my HTC One X and watch a movie I purchased off of PSN+ and watch it on my little crappy cellphone screen?

Or do I need to download that movie to my phone? Which I can't do because my phone doesn't have enough memory to hold the entire movie?

I've never used any of these features before, and I was pretty damn happy with how MS had integrated these things and was even happier with how they had originally sold the One and its capabilities.

No. The purchased videos in PS Store can only be transferred between Playstations.

If you want to transfer videos between different devices (e.g., Android -> iOS -> Windows Phone -> Playstation -> Xbox -> PC/Mac), you'll have to buy/rent/stream them using other video services. You don't really need any cloud drive to watch movies. You don't need additional subscription fee on the PSN side to watch NetFlix movies.

Now, the disc that he bought has both the BR and the DVD version and the DD version all included. Well, I tried to watch the DVD and first.. the quality sucks. I can't stand to watch DVD's anymore.. my entire collection is worthless. But in this instance, the DVD is also scratched or something so it's completely screwed up. Does the BR copy work? Don't know because I've never had a BR player before tonight.

The Blu-ray disc will work on any Blu-ray player.

Older Blu-ray movies come with digital copies that work with PSP and iTunes (e.g., You can redeem the digital copy on AppleTV and watch it without the BR disc there).
Newer ones use Ultraviolet, which requires a convoluted step to redeem the digital copy.

If you want to save money, borrow Blu-ray movies from the public library. It's free here.

So, I've bought the PS3. I've signed up for a year of PSN+, the bundle that I purchased includes not only the move controller but also the move navigation controller and the PSEye, so I should have EVERYTHING the PS3 can offer me. Correct? If not, let me know, what else or other option didn't I get that would enhance this experience.

My fingers are crossed, because right now both Sony and MS can go fuck themselves with these crappy consoles that aren't even close to the PC I bought yesterday for $499.

I don't think hardware alone can entertain. It's the contents that deliver the value. Take your time to look through the catalog. ^_^

But hey. I just spent $250 to buy a PS3, I just spent another $50 to get a year of PSN+, and another $60 to download Last of Us. And I did it all to see how the PS3 works compared to the 360.

And don't think I'm not getting shit from my 360 friends about even doing this, because I already am, because apparently they read this forum.

But that's OK. I had a PS, it was amazing. I had three PS2's because those pieces of crap were even worse in terms of failures than the 360 (IMO anyway). But I've never bought a PS3 before tonight, because the 360 had the games I wanted to play and never had a reason to purchase a PS3. But I still don't have a BR player (because, again, I'm MS's premiere customer: I watch my movies over DD, why buy physical media?), yet I do have a BR disc that a co-worker lent me of Prometheus.

So, I'll try to watch the BR version of the movie tomorrow. But, the point is that the the BR does add value to the PS3. Still to this day. I know I can buy a BR player for like $99, and not the $249.99 I paid for the PS3. But.. Ehhhh.. I've got other questions I want answered.

I don't want to be one of those fanboy pricks that think their system is the best. I really enjoy what the 360 offers me including the Live subscription. And I really love the Xbox controller (as do so many other people that there are multiple third party controllers for the PS3 that mimic the 360 controller and when the Wii and the WiiU offered additional controllers they mimic'd the Xbox controller not the PS controller), but let's see how this console works and does its business.

It's not really fair for me to bash a console as hard as I've been bashing the PS3 and the projected PS4 without actually using them first. It just isn't.

I haven't had a chance to do anything at this point because the PS3 is still downloading updates and downloading the game (last of us). So I don't know.

I'm hoping that when this game finally downloads and I start to play it, it will be the best thing I've ever played. All the reviews say this should be the case.

To be perfectly honestly both systems are very similar so if you expect to be wowed you will be disappointed. It all depends whats important to you on the system. I currently prefer ps3 since online is free and the media capabilities like blu-ray/3d and also enjoy the ui better, wallpapers etc. If community is your thing, crosschats etc. then 360 got it in spades also multiplats perform better.

Not trying to bash but at this point the 360 is a glorified dvd player for me and is currently sitting on my 5yr old shelf. Especially since online media features are behind paywalls. I also have the 20gig no wifi version which doesn't make it easier.

Trying to figure out what to do with it now. Honorable mention to Gears though, made it worth the purchase alone, spent hours with that game very disappointed no announcement with X1.

delayed edit :D: Honestly I would have saved my money for the new systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time maybe first install a smaller game like Super Stardust so you have something to play while downloading, though that wouldn't have helped for the last of us, because it has a unique installer. God of War 3 is also a beautiful game by the way. But all other games you can queue for background downloading and that is actually the best way to do it because that also supports resume, should a big download get interrupted or something.

Yes, the store has a special Playstation Plus section, which has the instant game collection part as well as an overview of the latest offers and content.

I am still extremely hapoy with the PS3 as BluRay player. It really looks much better than any DD to date, sounds better, has better subtitle options, etc and every single upgrade the standard got, from Live content to 3D support made it into the PS3 with simple firmware updates. And new movies are 4 euro here, while DD versions are 6 when renting, which is just silly.

Oh and don't worry - not all games are that big fortunately.

You have got PSN+, so you got Uncharted 3 to start with ! I find Uncharted 2 to be a better game, find that cheap and play that first as UC2 characters make an appearance in UC3.

Get Journey. its a 2 hour game but is unique and you won't find it anywhere else. Get Resistance 3, if you like co-op shooters. Good game, great atmosphere and lot of fun in split-screen. Reisistance 2 has superb 8 player co-op but I wouldn't know how populated it would be now.Get Far Cry 3 if you haven't played it already. Demons Souls is free on PS+ right now. Another unique experience not to be missed. Also, Ico and SOTC are free on PS+ right now, if u missed them during the PS2 era, now is the best time.

Get MGS4, if you like stealth and japanese games ! MGS3 is even better but you might not like the controls. Get Killzone 2, brilliant atmospheric shooter , no matter what people say. Get God of War 3 and kill every god you ever knew ! Amazing graphics and presentation there.

and if you like Adventure games, get Heavy Rain. Since you already have the Last of Us, I don't know how much the other games will impress you, but they are all unmissable in my books.

Last edited by a moderator:
it, it will be the best thing I've ever played. All the reviews say this should be the case.

if you mean by "the best thing I've ever played" are the story, gameplay, art, etc...i think you will happy with TLoU. But if you have acute distraction from IQ problem... um.. lower your expectation a bit.
once you ignore the IQ problem, playing TLoU will be one of the best game ever played
(at least it was like that for me :D )

Welcome Rancid! :D

I actually can't add much more than RenegadeRocks just posted- those games he mentioned are the ones to get IMO.

Uncharted 2 is brilliant - and Uncharted 3 follows up on that. Both are immensly better than the first part, and IMO, more enjoyable than Last of Us (although I just started playing it - but it's quite a serious theme).

Then, as was mentioned, God of War 3 is a awesome. If you do get it, perhaps play it on normal, although even then, it can be frustrating at times since it starts epic. But it's definately one of the show-case games on the PS3 you won't regret if you fight your way through it. Forget about Ascensions.

Then, personally, I'd also get Wipeout HD if you like futuristic racers. It's something, if I'm not mistaken, that's nothing like you can get on Xbox, so it might be something unique. I'm also pretty sure you could get it rather cheap. What makes this a great game is the sense of speed, great sound and there's a lot of skill involved. It might be difficult in the beginning, but it's soooo satisfying when you get the hang of it and start mastering the quicker speed modes.

If you want something to entertain guests with a lot of fun factor - LittleBigPlanet 2 is hard to overlook. The perfect game to have when you have people over, especially girls. ;)

KillZone 2 as mentioned is brilliant - though it's probably hard to impress a gamer coming from the Xbox. I personally think the single-player experience is better in KZ3 - the mechanics are a bit better and make it a bit more enjoyable ride. The wow effect IMO is also a bit bigger. I do prefer the artistic visuals and the online multiplayer in KZ2 better, but I still think if you're new to the whole KZ series, part 3 is the more enjoyable ride.

Among my favorite games is also MGS4. Very special game and a definate must-play IMO, especially if you are thinking of trying out MGS5 on either Xbox One or PS4 eventually. I actually prefer MGS3 too, but that's only a HD release of the PS2 game. Both are very recommendable though and I'm sure it's a type of game, you won't have experienced on Xbox (I think it's very unique in the way the story and gameplay get you hooked on the game - Hideo Kojima is simply a genius).

Now, as for enjoyable cheap mini games that are DD-only:

Definately check out Super Star Dust HD. Very good platform shooter with great sound in FullHD. Highly addictive. If you're unsure, check out some videos on YouTube. For the price it costs, it's great.

You may also like some of the PixelJunk games. I really like Racers (fun when you have lots of people over), but Shooter is good too or Eden - both can be played co-op, but I don't think online. They are just some nice stylistic mini games that pose a great challenge inbetween.

Hope you get some enjoyment out of the large investment you just made! :smile:

Thanks everybody. I just woke up this morning and the HTPC is set up as the primary, so I haven't logged back into my PS3 yet, but the little orange light keeps flashing which according to the instructions means it is downloading something.

If any of you would like to "be my friend" (which I guess has a different term on PSN), I managed to get the same exact gamer tag (is that the same word on PSN too?), and I'd appreciate it if somebody would "invite" me or do something just so I know how that notification works. Rancidlunchmeat That's it.

Uncharted is a PS exclusive, right? Is there a way for me to play all of them, one after the other? Without having to go to the store to buy the disc? I have no issue with paying for them all in a "combo pack" for $XX.

But it would really suck if I could play the first one and the third one but in order to play the second one, I have to go to a store to buy the disc.

I think I'm going to go play Last of Us here in a second, because it should have been downloaded by now. Although I'm still a bit freaked out about the fact the PS3 keeps flashing that amber lite at me that says it is downloading something. WTF YOU DOWNLOADING, PS3??

Flashing light? Does your PS3 turn on?

You can download U2 and 3 (this month free on PS+) from the store,

That orange light - is that not just the indicator that the harddrive is being used? Which PS3 did you get? Slim, superSlim? Or is this some feature that comes with PS+? :oops:

Of course it's just the harddrive, dimwits. ;)

You should check every once in a while Rancid - the download may have been interrupted, or asking you to press something, and also the game can start before the download is completed (whcih was probably the point of this whole exercise, to test some Playstation 4 features, and save people from having to have 48GB free, which is what is otherwise required for downloading and installing a game - once for downloading, and twice for installing, after which the downloaded file is deleted. I know, it's a bit outdated, but hey ... )

Invite sent by the way ... (from my Vita)

Couple more things that occurred to me.

You may not be aware that the USB ports on the PS3 don't stay powered while the console is off. If you want to keep your controller charged, you're better off plugging it into something else (I use my cable box).

Having the 360 first and having that as my primary console, I focused my PS3 purchases on games that didn't have equivalents on the 360. Uncharted was one of these and I bought both one and two as greatest hits one of which included a second controller. Gamestop currently has a bundle that includes a blue DualShock 3 and Uncharted 1&2 for $59.99.

I got InFamous free because of the PSN hack and enjoyed that too, though I was let down by the sequel (which i got free on PSN+).

The only other game that I've actually bought and spent a significant amount of time playing is Tokyo Jungle, which fit the criteria of being a unique PS3 experience. I couldn't resist the opportunity to guide a Pomeranian to the top of the food chain. :smile:

Wow, Last of Us is hard to play. It's probably just my inexperience with the controller, but holy hell I can barely find my way out of her bedroom and bathroom. I can move her around a bit, and I can move the camera, but I can't seem to be able to actually point her in a specific direction.

So she's always walking sideways and looks like a moron.

Can I download Uncharted while I'm playing Last of Us, or do I just have to add that to the que and it will download when I'm not playing?

Back