Rancid's buying a PS3 today - What does he need?

Wow, Last of Us is hard to play. It's probably just my inexperience with the controller, but holy hell I can barely find my way out of her bedroom and bathroom. I can move her around a bit, and I can move the camera, but I can't seem to be able to actually point her in a specific direction.

So she's always walking sideways and looks like a moron.

Can I download Uncharted while I'm playing Last of Us, or do I just have to add that to the que and it will download when I'm not playing?

Yes, you can download Uncharted while playing LOU.

Rancid, you need to constantly adjust the camera using right analog stick

Yeah, that's what I've been doing it's just really frigging annoying. I'm not saying it has anything to do with the PS3 specifically, it just seems like a stupid way to do this. I don't like most 3rd person shooters for this very reason, but yet Mass Effect was able to handle it very well.

This is just crap. It really reminds me of the Resident Evil series on the PS1/2. Where the actual difficulty of the game wasn't the AI, it was the fact that you couldn't control your character properly and couldn't see what was going on because of the camera.

I mean, seriously. I can barely see what is going on around me and barely control my character. And all I can think of is how totally screwed I'm going to be when I do run into 10 or 15 zombies. Forget the zombies, I can barely make my way out of her bedroom.

:LOL: You have played with a controller before, right? I remember walking like a drunkard in games when I got my PS2. It will take some time to get used to the sticks.But that was mostly in FPSs, third person games were spot on for me. RE4 was wonderful to control, and so was GOW, but I found myself hitting walls in Black !

LOU might not be the best game to start with , start with God of War cos camera doesn't need to be adjusted there.

Muahaha, the game is messing with you.
You're a weak little girl for the moment. Play your part, darn it. ^_^

If you are looking for a hero game through and through, might want to try something else. :devilish:

[size=-2]I can already predict what you're going to do soon.[/size] :runaway:

I mean, seriously. I can barely see what is going on around me and barely control my characte

it seems you are heavily accustomed to play PC Games with (very) High FOV and controlled using KB/M.

:LOL: You have played with a controller before, right?

not to speak for him, but...
Of course he has, he's a very seasoned xbox360 gamer. The issue isn't someone switching from keyboard mouse to game controller, its the bad control scheme in this game.

Of course he has, he's a very seasoned xbox360 gamer. The issue isn't someone switching from keyboard mouse to game controller, its the bad control scheme in this game.

??? You guys have ever played a TPS in your life? Standard TPS controls...lol

Bad control scheme ? :???: no sire, the control scheme is just fine. The opening makes you play as a little girl who just woke up from sleep, but still its nowhere what Rancid is making it out to be. Nobody else ever complained of not being able to make out of the first room :p ! Wonder what he will do when He has to traverse pitch black rooms full of clickers :LOL: !

its not th e controls, Its just him, I guess, maybe he had some mushrooms before the play session :p ! If he is a 360 gamer he sure must have played Gears where phoenix controls like a tank.

Bad control scheme ? :???: no sire, the control scheme is just fine. The opening makes you play as a little girl who just woke up from sleep, but still its nowhere what Rancid is making it out to be. Nobody else ever complained of not being able to make out of the first room :p ! Wonder what he will do when He has to traverse pitch black rooms full of clickers :LOL: !

its not th e controls, Its just him, I guess, maybe he had some mushrooms before the play session :p ! If he is a 360 gamer he sure must have played Gears where phoenix controls like a tank.

Nope, never played Gears. I pretty much stay away from third person games for this very reason, but I have played the Mass Effect series, Crackdown, GTA, and Red Dead Redemption and none of them seem to have not only a camera issue but also a movement issue.

I get the fact that you're a little girl and aren't all powerful, etc. But even when I get to the point where you start playing as her dad, I died ten times just trying to get into the building because I couldn't see where I was going and couldn't move where I wanted to and kept getting hung up on fences or couldn't position myself to go up/down the stairs, etc. So I bash into them, have to then change the camera and then turn myself around and by that point, I'm getting eaten.

This isn't a difficulty with the game, this is an interface and point of view problem.

Kinda crappy if you ask me.

Which you haven't, but this is my thread so I'm telling you anyway.

:D

It is okay ! Practice makes perfect. :)

You will enter dark areas quite often. Be prepared for visibility issues. When you see a controller icon at the bottom left, it means your flash light is going out soon. Shake the controller to power it up again.

The game also expects you to move slowly and use your hearing more.

Edit:
If you move too fast and try to confront enemies front and center, you probably won't make it through the game.

Picked an awfully good time to buy PS Plus, lol.

Uncharted 3, Deus Ex HR, Saints Row The Third, XCOM, Vanquish, Machinarium... lol. Very good time, good job on the purchase :)

That kind of all pays for itself :)

Picked an awfully good time to buy PS Plus, lol.

Uncharted 3, Deus Ex HR, Saints Row The Third, XCOM, Vanquish, Machinarium... lol. Very good time, good job on the purchase :)

That kind of all pays for itself :)

Thanks! I actually already have Deus Ex and SR3 on my 360, but I'll try to check out the others. It seems to me that I was only allowed to get Uncharted 1 and 3, though. Am I going to miss out with not playing 2 and skipping from 1 to 3?

I really want to try XCOM, btw. Not enough to actually buy the game, but I did really want to take a look!

Thanks! I actually already have Deus Ex and SR3 on my 360, but I'll try to check out the others. It seems to me that I was only allowed to get Uncharted 1 and 3, though. Am I going to miss out with not playing 2 and skipping from 1 to 3?

I really want to try XCOM, btw. Not enough to actually buy the game, but I did really want to take a look!

I would skip the first uncharted unless you have excessive free time on your hands. It's boring and game mechanics are not as good as on the later iterations. Stories are self contained so you wouldn't miss much.

If you can find heavenly sword from somewhere that has to be the greatest most under appreciated ps3 experience available. I just loved that game even though reviewers didn't much like it...

Most people say 2 is the best one for them. 2 is also my favourite.

3 was a little too disorganized for me. If you can grab a cheap Uncharted 2, which should be easy, I'd say go for it.

Definitely try Uncharted 3 for the multiplayer though, it's surprisingly fun.

Just try putting your pointing fingers to L1/R1, and rest your middle fingers on L2/R2 - and keep them there. Alot of 360 players limit themselves to only pointing fingers on top button-set, wich messes up their controls.
And the rest is controlled easily with thumbs only. :)

I get the fact that you're a little girl and aren't all powerful, etc. But even when I get to the point where you start playing as her dad, I died ten times just trying to get into the building because I couldn't see where I was going and couldn't move where I wanted to and kept getting hung up on fences or couldn't position myself to go up/down the stairs, etc. So I bash into them, have to then change the camera and then turn myself around and by that point, I'm getting eaten.

Hi Rancid,

Just some advice on third-person controls which you might find useful.

There are many ways of how to use the controls, but I usually use it "the first-person-shooter way". That is make sure the camera is always behind your character - and then use the left stick mainly to walk straight (pressing up). To make your character turn towards the left or right while walking, use the right stick. This is actually quite easy since when you are walking at a constant pace, by using the right stick, you are turning the character in the direction you want by rotating/moving the camera. Now, if this feels awkward at first or you tend you get the wrong side - try setting the inverse-option for horizontal in the option-menu.

If you want to make quick turns, simply use the left stick. The left stick will always make the character go in the direction you press it. This is different to the old Tomb Raider or Resident Evil games where pressing either left or right would rotate the character. In most third-person games, using the left-stick to determine which way your character goes is more natural for quick movements. To get most out of the controls, you need to practice using the right-stick (controlling the camera) though. That means, when you are battling against others/enemies, try using the right-stick (camera movement) to make sure the enemy are always in front of you. That makes it easier to control your own character, because it gets you closest to the first-person-view control scheme.

If you want to look around your surroundings - just use the right stick to pan around the camera and ignore your character. He will always do exactly what you want him to do with the left-stick. It doesn't matter in which direction he's looking - pressing right will always make him go right accoarding to the camera (your point-of-view).

What I also find useful - though not everyone feels the same, is to set vertical to inverse. That means, pressing down on the stick will make him look up, rather than down. Depending on what comes natural to you or what you're used to, you might have to fiddle around with which sticks you want to set to inverse and which one not.

I hope this helps! It's worth to give it a go and practice it. The Last of Us might seem impossible to play at first if you're not used to the control scheme, but most people should get used to it quickly (at least, I'm assuming that, since these type of controls have become a defacto standard). And I actually think Uncharted 2 is one of the best games on PS3. The same control scheme like this one, so if you want to be wowed, get used to them and get a copy of U2!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, never played Gears. I pretty much stay away from third person games for this very reason, but I have played the Mass Effect series, Crackdown, GTA, and Red Dead Redemption and none of them seem to have not only a camera issue but also a movement issue.

This isn't a difficulty with the game, this is an interface and point of view problem.

Kinda crappy if you ask me.

Which you haven't, but this is my thread so I'm telling you anyway.

:D

I think the interface is pretty much perfect for this kind of game. ;) You really need to get used to the manual looking around, it is essential - you very often won't want to look in the direction you're running and when you're not running you'll be looking around a lot. (I really hope that with PS4, the Gyro will be available for more for looking around features.) This then goes double once you discover the game's 'verticality'. This made Uncharted multiplayer one of the best multiplayer fun I've had (along with Warhawk, which I hear still has a healthy MP community by the way)

I haven't had a second of trouble with the controls, camera, but of course I have played through 3 Uncharted games first, so that may be the difference. Do note though that it's a pretty hard game regardless. I have played all Uncharted games at Normal no problem, but for The Last of Us I switched back to Easy because the stress factor is too high, and dying a lot breaks the immersion too much for me (I play without Listen mode for the same reason). I haven't gone back since, still on Easy now 42% in.

Yeah, like others said, Uncharted 2 shouldn't really be missed. I did like Uncharted 1 quite a bit by the way, and I would definitely give it a go if you have it, see how you like it. All the more will you appreciate how much Uncharted 2 ups the ante.

The first game, I got stuck in a level that was quite difficult, but once I got through that I finished it. Uncharted 2 and 3, I played straight through in only a few nights. Imho what Uncharted 3 lacks vs 2 in terms of focus, it makes up for in terms of fun gameplay scenarios.

And a reminder to try Super Stardust HD - with the single player expanded DLC - Endless mode is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rYXdSSN7rWI#t=441s

You have got PSN+, so you got Uncharted 3 to start with ! I find Uncharted 2 to be a better game, find that cheap and play that first as UC2 characters make an appearance in UC3.

Get Journey. its a 2 hour game but is unique and you won't find it anywhere else. Get Resistance 3, if you like co-op shooters. Good game, great atmosphere and lot of fun in split-screen. Reisistance 2 has superb 8 player co-op but I wouldn't know how populated it would be now.Get Far Cry 3 if you haven't played it already. Demons Souls is free on PS+ right now. Another unique experience not to be missed. Also, Ico and SOTC are free on PS+ right now, if u missed them during the PS2 era, now is the best time.

Get MGS4, if you like stealth and japanese games ! MGS3 is even better but you might not like the controls. Get Killzone 2, brilliant atmospheric shooter , no matter what people say. Get God of War 3 and kill every god you ever knew ! Amazing graphics and presentation there.

and if you like Adventure games, get Heavy Rain. Since you already have the Last of Us, I don't know how much the other games will impress you, but they are all unmissable in my books.
Thanks for sharing, nice list, it might be useful some day for me...

The game that impressed me the most -I am not talking about graphics alone- is Beyond Two Souls. After I saw it on the E3 I told myself that I'd buy the PS3 just for that game alone.

Beyond Two Souls made a deep impression on me with the setting and the cast.

Back