Radeon X800PRO will beat NV40 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
digitalwanderer said:
26th premiere, 5th-o-May available in stores.

nVidia will be available in stores in July sometime.

Why does it seem like you're doing nothing but spreading FUD? The X800 isn't even going on pre-sale until May 5th, so what makes you think that it's going to be available that same day? And e-VGA, as well as a number of other manufacturers, are slated to release their 6800 Ultras at the beginning on May, so why do you keep spreading this crap about July?

WRT to texture to pipes. Think about what is sensible - with DX8 the texture to math ratio was going in the direction of 1:1, so even then two TMU's is beginning to make less sense, the more we get into DX9 and beyond, with longer shaders, the more the ratio is biased to the Math side.

Yeah, Nvidia mentioned at the lan event a 1:3 average in newer games, so what could have been more logical than designing a 1:2 chip. I guess they just ran out of transistors heh.

Oh yeah, the super leet info that has all the ATI fans exicited: 16 pipes for X800 Pro. Yeah, that's just a guess....

martrox said:
For the most part, that's all BS........ Don't believe any of it!

edit: Not what Dave said....but what [H], The Register & the Inquirer said.

Yeah, the X800XT will use 833MHz GDDR3 instead of 600MHz. ;)

Definitely 1 TMU according to the rumours. Not sure on the PS units though.. most probably 2. /me shrugs

I think the R42x parts will be PS/VS 2.0x though and not SM3.0 and I definitely think it'll be 24bit(96 bit precision). Hey I can only hope i'm wrong on those two. :)

US

Ardrid said:
digitalwanderer said:

Why does it seem like you're doing nothing but spreading FUD? The X800 isn't even going on pre-sale until May 5th, so what makes you think that it's going to be available that same day? And e-VGA, as well as a number of other manufacturers, are slated to release their 6800 Ultras at the beginning on May, so why do you keep spreading this crap about July?

Maybe cause he's having fun?? Sure seems like it with his last few posts. :D

Ninelven said:
Oh yeah, the super leet info that has all the ATI fans exicited: 16 pipes for X800 Pro. Yeah, that's just a guess....

Hehe.. from what i've seen(rumours) that part is 12 pipes. :D

As for what i'm doing .. i'm just trying to put into prospective all the FUD that has been flying around... even if it is FUD.

US

digitalwanderer said:
You'll notice that ATi and all those connected with it seem to be going to extreme lengths to keep info on the R420 a secret? Mebbe ATi figured out that if you send out cards to everyone and their brother before you paper launch there is a pretty good chance someone will spill the beans...if you only have a few out you can keep track of 'em.

Methinks ATi wants to surprise everyone, and I'm pretty sure they will. 8)

But wait, didn't you just "state" R420 performance in various games with respect to Nv40 a few posts back? Surely, that would mean that ATI has failed in keeping it a secret?

One thing for certain, i will be disapointed if all the hype around the X800 pro being faster than the 6800U (till i think the XT will be faster than the 6800U) is all false.

DaveBaumann said:
WRT to texture to pipes. Think about what is sensible - with DX8 the texture to math ratio was going in the direction of 1:1, so even then two TMU's is beginning to make less sense, the more we get into DX9 and beyond, with longer shaders, the more the ratio is biased to the Math side.

So something like 2 texture units per quad shared between the four pipes?

The advantages of having the full 4 texture units per quad would be pretty slim as bandwidth would be the limiting factor, but the lack of texture units will still hurt in multi-texture situations.

This would fit the 8 extreme pipelines for a four quad design, but it seems like Ati has decided to go for the 16 pipe label.

Ardrid said:
digitalwanderer said:

I am getting the impression that any body supportting ATI is trying there hardest to downplay the 6800 Ultra as much as they can. What is bad about this July BS is a site like the Inquirer or Register will pick it up and take it for truith. To me this could indicated that ATI folks are scared that they have a serious threat with NVidia's latest achievement.

Evildeus said:
One thing for certain, i will be disapointed if all the hype around the X800 pro being faster than the 6800U (till i think the XT will be faster than the 6800U) is all false.

I agree and and I think users spreading this hype are doing ATI more harm than help. If the rumors are correct the Pro only has 12 pipelines and XT has 16, ATI must have found out that NVidia went 16 and had to change there plans.. So I would think is very likely that Pro will not be up and par with 6800U.

hstewarth said:
Ardrid said:
digitalwanderer said:

I am getting the impression that any body supportting ATI is trying there hardest to downplay the 6800 Ultra as much as they can. What is bad about this July BS is a site like the Inquirer or Register will pick it up and take it for truith. To me this could indicated that ATI folks are scared that they have a serious threat with NVidia's latest achievement.

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that NVIDIA has created a great part, the issue is that NVIDIA and the partners have released a new product and already a week has gone by without any details of when it will be released. Wouldn't you want to follow up on such a great annoucment with a solid release date if you had one???

The fact that they have not yet annouced availability is NOT a good omen or a sign that we will see it sooner rather than later.

Couple this with the rumors of A1 vs A2 Silicon and trouble source DDR3 makes people speculate.

Tim said:
DaveBaumann said:

So something like 2 texture units per quad shared between the four pipes?

The advantages of having the full 4 texture units per quad would be pretty slim as bandwidth would be the limiting factor, but the lack of texture units will still hurt in multi-texture situations.

This would fit the 8 extreme pipelines for a four quad design, but it seems like Ati has decided to go for the 16 pipe label.

The induced latency and cache required for the intermediate stages would probably outweight the transistors saved when you go for less than one texture unit per pixel, although you wouldn't need them very often.

Maybe the manufacturers are waiting to see which one to produce first, as in Nvidia 6800 or the X800 ;). I wonder which card ASUS will put out first. . .The 6800U . . .X800Pro . . . X800XT . . . hmmmm.

jolle said:
Eh.. so its sorta like NV40 with 2 PS units and 1 TMU on each pipe?

Actually, from the documentation released on the NV40, it is probably more accurate to say that it has 1 TMU/PS unit and 1 PS unit. It appears that the first unit can do either a PS operation or a TMU operation but not both at the same time.

So you could look at it as have .5 TMU and 1.5 PS units...

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc

hstewarth said:
ATI must have found out that NVidia went 16 and had to change there plans.. So I would think is very likely that Pro will not be up and par with 6800U.

that's such crap, think about it - when did credible rumours of 16 pipes in the NV40 first hit the net? 6-8 weeks ago?? You can't just say;

'Holy Crap NV40 is 16 pipes - lets add another 4 to our already well established, complex ASIC design.'

aaronspink said:
jolle said:
Eh.. so its sorta like NV40 with 2 PS units and 1 TMU on each pipe?

Actually, from the documentation released on the NV40, it is probably more accurate to say that it has 1 TMU/PS unit and 1 PS unit. It appears that the first unit can do either a PS operation or a TMU operation but not both at the same time.

So you could look at it as have .5 TMU and 1.5 PS units...

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc

Yes, that would be my guess for the R420 as well, with two helper units (mini-ALU's) to complement them.

(Edit: but two full-fledged ALU's, who can at least both do a MAD, not like the nVidia ones.)

Thats really funny i guess they are going to release the game in about 10 days eh? Thats just *beating* Nvidias current Champ to say nothing of completely destroying it two weeks after that.

Nice to see you again, Hypebinder! Hopefully you will not need to eat your words over the next few weeks :D I think you seriously underestimate NVDA (your arch-enemy) if you assume that they have nothing planned up their sleeves and if you assume that they will not put up a fight. There might be some room to bump up the core clock and memory frequencies, and the NV40 A1 samples tested were using very raw drivers.

Do you work for ATI? Do you have some personal connection to ATI? Your entire existence on the forums seems bent towards putting ATI on a pedestal and throwing NVDA to the ground.

You've got some serious personal issues, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back