R520 benchmarks - Hardware Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
geo said:
Why, that sounds like a CHALLENGE! :p He's on this thread, y'know! Maybe we can get Wavey or Neeyik to make it so only you two can post on this thread for awhile, and the rest of us will eat popcorn. . .until the fireworks are over, and then we'll come out to bury the dead and succor the wounded. :LOL:

I agree with this to a degree - at this point and time what is there that the typical poster can contribute? What we want is answers, and the two most pertinent parties are now a part of the thread. I think it would be ideal if all other posters save for Sasser and Banias were unable to post here and they just hashed it out. That would give us a pool of information to go off of not riddled with speculation.

xbdestroya said:
Oh man - this thread will live on in legend, to be sure...

My wife and I are childless, but I think I'll borrow grandnephews to tell this story to, right after "3 miles in the snow, uphill, both ways", the legend of Doom 1, the Camelot that was 3DFX, and when a brave band of brothers defeated the world-eater, NV30, with a little salt and holy water. . .:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
A. PR person on forums. :oops:

B. See A. :oops: :oops:

C. Since you're being so kind to the B3D forum community, you could always send out some R520s to a few select posters (I don't know, maybe all the people with over 2400 posts?). :p

I'm proud that one day I'll be able to tell my grandchildren I watched all this happen.

It might be a little late for the show but as long as people under NDA tell you that the numbers are wrong (whether they be lower or higher) you must at some point realized that someone pulled a prank ... Sander, maybe it was ati themselves setting you up with those numbers because of your e-mail conversations with andrzej?

Sander, as a dutchman you should know the story about kuyt and kalou being sold, it made headlines everywhere and disturbed everyone.. only to turn out that the reporters were fooled...

Nice and interesting reply. It certainly gives a lot of insight on what is happening behind the scenes.

Anyway, I really believe ATi should explore the possibility of pushing for legal action against HA.

After all, we are talking about slander/libel here if the benchmarks do not correctly reflect the quality of R520 hardware. In most cases, the most difficult point to prove would be the malicious intent, but this is not a problem here since this has been established on HA's website, not to mention that ATI could easily produce the emails in court.

The next point to establish the damage suffered as a result of the publication of this "preview". This shouldn't be too difficult to prove either : the article has been read by millions of people and has been mentionned on most hardware sites, thus affecting the trust and confidence of your consumers and investors.

The only point left to prove is that the article is wrong and misleading. This should be very easy to prove. If HA really made up these benchmarks for the sole purpose of bringing down ATi's stock price, as this was clearly pointed out in the emails, ATi should not let HA get away with it so easily.

ATi would have nothing to loose. HA would on the other hand, and nothing in that article would protect them from having ATI make an example from them. His 'disclaimer' is not enough to protect him either. Even iIf you have some kind of disclaimer like, "I don't know if this is true and accurate, but bla bla bla" it still doesn't protect you from getting sued, unless you can show that others believe so.

In the words of Lord Devlin (UK) in Lewis v. Daily Telegraph Ltd., [1963] : One cannot escape liability for defamation by putting the libel behind a prefix such as "I have been told that ..." or "It is rumoured that ...", and then asserting that it was true that one had been told or that it was in fact being rumoured.... For the purpose of the law of libel, the hearsay statement is the same as a direct statement.

Anyway, my advice would be this : I believe you should seriously consider pushing for legal actions, or even a settlement. You have nothing to loose, and all to gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baron said:
Since you're being so kind to the B3D forum community, you could always send out some R520s to a few select posters (I don't know, maybe all the people with over 2400 posts?). :p
Discrimination based on post count, post reported ! :p :LOL:

The Baron said:
C. Since you're being so kind to the B3D forum community, you could always send out some R520s to a few select posters (I don't know, maybe all the people with over 2400 posts?). :p

How about anyone with rep over 11? :D

Andrzej said:
Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Kind regards,

Andrzej Bania
ATI Technologies

Andrzej,

No, thank YOU for taking time out of your weekend to address this "issue". I find that your post here has had the desired effect for me personally. When I read your post, the things you stated made sense to me as that is how I have perceived ATI in all of my personal and business dealings with them. I know there are some who will find some fault with your comments, but that is the nature of public forums.

Again, thank you for taking time to address this particular forum and set the record straight. If you don't mind, say hello to my friend Mike Smith for me from the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Community. Many members of that community are anxious to see how well r520 runs Tiger 2006 which is due on store shelves in the US beginning Thursday.

Best Regards,

Tim Scott
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR
Community Leader

Dear Andrzej,

I'm a big fan of ATI and I'm not taking sides in this story. I'm really upset to see ATI made this story into a big unprofessional fight, for example the private email leakage. I really cant understand why it became like a flame war on few respected websites headlines.

Best Regards,

Editor in Chief
NGOHQ.com

Regeneration said:
Dear Andrzej,

I'm a big fan of ATI and I'm not taking sides in this story. I'm really upset to see ATI made this story into a big unprofessional fight, for example the private email leakage. I really cant understand why it became like a flame war on few respected websites headlines.

Best Regards,

Editor in Chief
NGOHQ.com

I am not going to comment on your post, I just wonder since when is business correspondence (either via electronic form or whatever other means) considered as "private". :?:

Kombatant said:
I am not going to comment on your post, I just wonder since when is business correspondence (either via electronic form or whatever other means) considered as "private". :?:

Personal conflict is not our concern.

Thanks for the explanation Andrzej, very much appreciated. :)

Regeneration- "our concern"? Who is "our"?

Some peoples take themselves entirely too seriously methinks. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back