R520 benchmarks - Hardware Analysis

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Sxotty, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sxotty

Veteran

Hardware Analysis r520 scores x1800xt+pro

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813.1/

I didn't see this before. I has scores of x1800xt and if they are real it does not seem rosy in ATI land

#1 Sxotty, Sep 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  2. fallguy

Veteran

This has been posted several times(and locked even), and there is already a huge discussion going on in another thread.

3. onetimeposter

Banned

4. Sxotty

Veteran

Well dogonit people should use more informative descriptions in their threads.

And btw putting it in the middle of a 70 page thread is silly. I searched for hardware analysis but that was not to be found Anyway I still think they should allow this its own thread.

Although seeing how it seems to be a hoax I guess not. Perhaps in 3d industry forum and talking about the reasons why websites do hoaxes anyway. Does it show they have decided that they might as well close their doors? Since noone will trust them after...

#4 Sxotty, Sep 17, 2005
  5. Tridam

Regular Subscriber

I don't use to make public behind the scene dark stuff, but I don't like receiving emails from guys stating I'm ATI-biased and that I talked about the shimmering issue on 7800GTX because of an ATI PDF (which is what Sander suggested in a previous column while it's definitely not the case). So here is something fun :

Pete likes this.
  6. Slides

Regular

I would never have believed that an "internet journalist" could have such a huge ego before reading the above.

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

8. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

That's quite an ego Sander's packing. Too bad his credibility is approaching zero.

9. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813.1/

Please use this thread to discussion the above article. My sincerest apologies to all those who involved in the debate over in the thread from the 3D Hardware & Technology section - I had split the thread, sending the split posts to here, but instead of moving them, the forum software deleted them (and yes, I double-checked everything before hitting that submit button)!

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I'll put a copy here then too, please don't go playing with the new board software until you RTFM. ;)

11. digitalwanderer

Legend

After some condescending insults from SS we discovered:

Now Sander was going to explain to us just how this e-mail was taken out of context. :)

12. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Thanks for your help digi and yes I did RTFM! I hate me...

13. digitalwanderer

Legend

Don't beat yourself up Neeyik, it happens to everybody...that's why they call 'em "brainfarts". ;)

14. ssassen

Newcomer

Digitalwanderer, you missed quite a few posts in between where I outline exactly what that was about, so I suggest you reread those, I don't have copies as I only get sent copies of what others post.

Regards,

Sander Sassen
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

15. wireframe

Veteran

What the heck is going on? Publishing private emails and shooting low-level shit at each other? I can understand if an individual is motivated to embrace such tactics, but a company? This public airing of dirty laundry is really getting silly.

16. BruteForce170

Newcomer

here's some more (sorry for the lack of formatting)...

Kombatant

Kombatant is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via MSN to Kombatant

Quote:
    Originally Posted by XSBagage
    Tweakers.net is perpetuating hardware analysis their article too.
    I'm beginning to think this is going to damage ATi more than I thought.

So posting articles using benchmarks you never performed yourself is the new hip thing to do?

stevem

stevem is on a distinguished road

I hesitate to add to this thread, esp given JR's summation, but find it difficult to reconcile the following two quotes:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssassen
    ...have you worked as a member of the press for years? Networked your way into companies? Got them to disclose sensitive information to you?...

Quote:
    ...NVIDIA has yet to stoop down to that level...

Exactly how long have you been at this caper...? Given DW's link, you can guess at some of the counter-accusations... Good luck.

Old 17-Sep-2005, 21:46 #503
    oeLangOetan

oeLangOetan is on a distinguished road
    Send a message via MSN to oeLangOetan

Quote:

euh, what's so special about reporting a review made by another site? Elite Bastards do it, and many more..

Old 17-Sep-2005, 21:51 #504
    Sharkfood

Sharkfood is on a distinguished road

I really don't understand the big deal about the HA article/benchmarks. They will very soon have checks/balances in the form of a control with the R5xx series comes out of NDA and websites start posting verifiable benchmarks.

If HA's results are "far and away" from those benchmarks, the site loses all credibility and THEN the slander wars and defamation can commence. Until then it's all "he said/she said" nonsense.

If the benchmarks are totally inaccurate, then HA loses it's readership and forever finds itself without any hits or credibility. If they are even the slightest bit close... well, then Sander Sassen has simply done what he said he did- get some "early, non-NDA" results from a board manufacturer.

Old 17-Sep-2005, 22:02 #505
    Ryano
    Registered

Ryano is an unknown quantity at this point

Some tips for the leet hardware dudes here:

Reading is fundamental and can answer most questions.

A press release is a very different animal than sending some info to hardware sites. Yes, a totally different level as it's comparing something that could be sent to shareholders vs. something that a few thousand college students will read.

I think that has a lot to do with his joke about share prices.

Them releasing transcripts of emails is really fucking low. Attack the content not the poster.

Quote:
    So I guess I do have a question for Sander now. Sander, given that you have reported that you did not contact your AIB friend to go around ATI until after you had been turned down by ATI. . . how is it that you knew (or at least represented in the email to ATI on Sep. 8 when you were informed that you weren't on the list on that same day) that your upcoming article would "drop the stock price shall we?"

Posting after being turned down is sorta like still being a reporter even though you didn't get mailed sound bites, right?

Quote:
    I really don't understand the big deal about the HA article/benchmarks. They will very soon have checks/balances in the form of a control with the R5xx series comes out of NDA and websites start posting verifiable benchmarks.

Durr checks and balances! It will be awesome when 50 sites all link to each other with stuff that says the exact same thing. Hardware is so EXCITING.

Old 17-Sep-2005, 22:07 #506
    Druga Runda
    Sleepy Substitute

Druga Runda will become famous soon enoughDruga Runda will become famous soon enough

Quote:

how can this damage ATI? The readership will see the benchies in a few weeks or so, if anyhing this will make ATI to move the lauch forward by a few days, to "prove their point" if they have it that is... anything else, this will only be a good marketing move making R520 launch more visible as people like real life soap operas... if the final results are good this will all be just fine

Old 17-Sep-2005, 22:11 #507
    XSBagage
    Registered

XSBagage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oeLangOetan
    euh, what's so special about reporting a review made by another site? Elite Bastards do it, and many more..

Well if you can read Dutch you should know they don't just report the news, they make a little summary in which they highlight what they want. They don't utter a word on how the benchmarks were gotten, in fact they make it seem hardware analysis got their hands on the cards themselves instead of just the benchmarks and they also lash out at ATi for beeing to late 6 months. (with cards that "play along") They do try to contrast it by saying ATi can get more performance with drivers.
    In my opinion it goes further than reporting news as "Here is what site x claims, check it out" and in the way they do it they should make sure to make a balanced summary, not a slanted one.

Old 17-Sep-2005, 22:13 #508
    ssassen
    Registered

ssassen has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm sure the final benchmarks will be higher, they will have to be, else ATI looks even worse. But I'll be sure to rerun them on an actual production board, if ATI hasn't told all AIBs to not get within 10-miles of me in which case I guess I got to buy one and give ATI my money. You have to appreciate the irony in that though, part of the revenue made with this article will be spent to buy a X1800XT, I guess ATI wins afterall

Regards,

Sander Sassen
    ssassen is online now Reply With Quote
    ssassen

Unread 17-Sep-2005, 22:18 #509
    nihilistcanada
    Registered

nihilistcanada is on a distinguished road

Quote:
    I'm sure the final benchmarks will be higher, they will have to be, else ATI looks even worse. But I'll be sure to rerun them on an actual production board, if ATI hasn't told all AIBs to not get within 10-miles of me in which case I guess I got to buy one and give ATI my money. You have to appreciate the irony in that though, part of the revenue made with this article will be spent to buy a X1800XT, I guess ATI wins afterall

Regards,

Sander Sassen

The world does not need any more stunt journalism.

Unread 17-Sep-2005, 22:20 #510
    Ryano
    Registered

Ryano is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
    The world does not need any more stunt journalism.

Agreed. What we need are more press packages and hyperlink banner revenue increasing circle jerks.

17. digitalwanderer

Legend

I'd re-read them if I could but I can't, I'm just curious as to your side of the e-mail story. I'm gonna hear about Andrzej side early next week, but I figure you're here now so you can tell your side. :)

18. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Oooh, Nick! :shock:

I forgive you, and I'm pretty sure more of my "deathless prose" (and postcount!) just went to the great bitbucket in the sky than anyone elses (peanut gallery hold your pithy replies please! :lol: ).

Oooouuuch. I'm reminded of the last unintentional cat scratch I got.

Edit: Btw, this is clear evidence of the blatant anti-ATI attitude by B3d staff, "losing" the most effective debunking thread on the 'net about these so-called benchmarks. :razz:

#18 Geo, Sep 17, 2005
  19. Kombatant

Regular

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of vB over time, my first split over at R3D was disastrerous too (even though the thread was of much less significance lol).

So where were we? ;)

20. ssassen

Newcomer

Wireframe,

We're in a situation where a coorporation such as ATI decides to attack the person as they can't attack the problem apparantly. Unfortunately that quote is way out of context as I outlined in the deleted thread. I feel no obligation to join ATI in their obvious smear campaign and get the dirty laundry out, but that may change. If that comment, which was meant as a joke, those who know Andrzej Bania will realize that, is used to provide some sort of 'incentive' why I posted these scores than they're in worse shape than I expected, that's a pretty sad response to be honest.

To Nick: can you at least make sure that all the posts that link to the deleted thread end up here? Else this is all a little too convenient don't you agree?

Regards,

Sander Sassen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.