Questions about PS2

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Liandry, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Lot's of power, just little context that in some ways was too hampered by it's implementation. I'd like to wonder if Sony was even really paying attention to graphics in the PC space before they taped out the Graphics Synthesizer. It's clear they were all about the polys and special effects (and numbers to fluff the press & public) but not some of the finer points to clean image rendering like the Dreamcast.

Other things bother me like how bolted-on Vector Unit 0 was, and consequently went generally unused. Being a coprocessor (CP2?) to the MIPS CPU hampered it's ability to assist in graphics, and it's small caches made it difficult to work with for other things IIRC. I wonder if the FPU could've been ditched for VU0 with an expanded cache. Might've made it possible to afford a bit more die space for a third VU to operate in parallel with VU1.

vipa899 likes this.
  2. milk

Veteran Regular

Everything about this tells me this is more of a geometry based effect than some kind of pseudo-pixel-shader.
    -It has geometry right in the name.
    -The demo showed a wireframe mesh.
    -The dev talked about reusing the same mesh with thousands of polys without paying the same performance cost you normally would (probably by instancing through PS2 VUs or something akin to that)
    -That's the kind of thing ps2 was good at, and other devs implemented as well
    -If getting normal mapping out of ps2 by multiple raster passes with weird textures and blending modes wasn't hard enough, I can't even imagine how would you get parallaxing out of it that way.
    -Certain sections of the demo show geometry that wouldn't actually be a very good fit for heightmap based parallaxing/displacement
    Why did they call it geoTEXTURING then? I guess because the idea was of texturing something through geometry instead of just texels... Maybe their pipeline worked in such way that an artist would create a model and set a surface for it to repeat through like in a texture. Maybe the code took advantage of the fact all instances were within the same plane and repeated in regular spacial intervals for extra optimization.
    This is all speculation, though.

Nesh, Shoujoboy and vipa899 like this.
  3. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

If the final game didnt use it, must be a reason for that.

4. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Doesnt appear to have a sample of that geo-texturing feature on PS2.

vipa899 likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Yes I wish we had some info on that from a developer who worked on the game.

vipa899 likes this.
  6. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Heaving read many of the IGN head 2 heads (they are not behind a paywall anymore), it seems that PS2 versions of multiplatform games come out the worst of the 3 consoles in the graphics and sound department. PS2 versions often have the advantage in some effects, like the SSX3 glow, or some heat effect in prince of persia sands of time.
    Also in SSX Tricky theres some snow particles missing in the xbox/GC versions. Do these things occur because the PS2 was able to do these effects while GC/Xbox werent, or because of PS2 was most likely always the lead platform?

7. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Lead platform + time/money limitation for the devs/editors i guess. On paper, I'm sur the GC/Xbox were able, one way or another, to do every thing that the PS2 was doing, but you had to rewrite code or rethinking the approach of doing things, since the strength and weakness, bottlenecks, etc, were different for 3 plateformes.

vipa899 likes this.
  8. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Vice City and gta 3 were faithfull ports to the xbox, san andreas not so, it lost many graphical features.

9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

"lost" ?

10. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Yes SA on xbox doesnt have the orange glow the ps2 version has, many dont like it but i do. Some other graphical features are only on ps2 aswell. Pc version can be modded to get the same ps2 gfx though otherwise its like xbox og.

PS2 allways had some effects over xbox ports in most games.

11. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Another example, the sparks discussion that went on some forums.

LIke someone else wonders, is it that the og xbox couldnt do any bloom effects, applied to those particles perhaps? More often then not PS2 versions had some extra in the effects department.

12. chris1515

Veteran Regular

I am not sure but if I remember well PS2 had a better fillrate than Xbox.

13. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

That was the ps2s big advantage.