Questions about English

L233

Veteran
Yah, couple of questions. Never really figured it out.

What's the difference between "everyone" and "everybody"?

Is it "question on English" or "question about English" and why?

Is "that" a relative pronoun, if yes, what's the difference to "which"?

"This" vs "that"?

k to the first 2, either works basically

and that to which: which is like a quantity

Which car should I buy? The Ford or the BMW?

whereas that is like "I want that BMW over this ford" (this and that is kind of a positional thing, spanish does it too but has 3 words, and while I should know them I don't remember any of them atm...)

like, this computer is the one i'm using, and that computer is the one your using
which computer am I using? this computer

not trying to sound like a smart*** there, just trying to show examples, since I sort of get the comparisons your asking but can't really explain w/o just speaking it...

Thanks.

WRT which or that (3rd question)... I was referring to their usage as a relative pronoun, ie. "the car which exploded" or "the car that exploded".

"that" vs "which" as relative pronoun: they are mostly equivalent, except that "which" does not refer to a person - if you wish to refer to a person, you use "who" or "whom" instead - "that" does not imply anything about the personhood of the referred-to object and can thus be used for a person and a non-person alike.

"this" versus "that" as demonstrative pronouns: "this" usually refers to a close object, whereas "that" refers to a more distant object; this is the same as the German "dies(er|e|es)" for the close object and "der|die|das" for the more distant object (with the added complication that der|die|das also is frequently used as an article in German, whereas in English the article would be "the" while the pronoun would be "that").

"question on English" and "question about English" basically mean the same thing, but there is IIRC a subtle difference in the answer expected to the question: "on" indicates a stronger desire/expectation to receive a scholarly, formal and strictly on-topic answer.

I am not aware of any difference between "everyone" and "everybody", though.

Non native speaker alert!
But anyway, I think it's supposed to work like this.

"This is the car that exploded last night."
Here "that exploded..." defines what car we're talking about.

"Peter's car, which exploded last night, ..."
Here you're supposed to know what car we're talking about from "Peter's car", and "which exploded..." gives you extra information about it.

Basic said:
Non native speaker alert!
But anyway, I think it's supposed to work like this.

"This is the car that exploded last night."
Here "that exploded..." defines what car we're talking about.

"Peter's car, which exploded last night, ..."
Here you're supposed to know what car we're talking about from "Peter's car", and "which exploded..." gives you extra information about it.

yeah that sounds right, lol

not digging out an old textbook to find this stuff tho, i'm really surprised there isn't a learn english online (i haven't seen one) even tho they exist for almost every other large language, to learn them from english....

arjan de lumens said:
"this" versus "that" as demonstrative pronouns: "this" usually refers to a close object, whereas "that" refers to a more distant object;
There is/was also a third option "yon" which refers/ed to objects even further away. It's pretty much fallen out of use but, to tie this back to 3D graphics, the near and far clip planes sometimes are called "hither and yon clip planes"

(FWIW, Turkish has 3 versions)

Really? Who the flock makes these english rules?

I figure it is my english so I can use it anyway I want.

Which sounds better: "the people that live here" or "the people who live here"?

"Everyone" and "everybody": I don't think there is any real difference, but I tend to use "everybody" when I refer to people who are actually there, in the same place I am, on the other hand I use "everyone" in a general, "universal" meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crisidelm said:
Which sounds better: "the people that live here" or "the people who live here"?

"Everyone" and "everybody": I don't think there is any real difference, but I tend to use "everybody" when I refer to people who are actually there, in the same place I am, on the other hand I use "everyone" in a general, "universal" meaning.

It depends on the role of the subordinate.

If "live here" is necessary for the whole sentence to make sense, you'd use "that". In this case, it is more likely you'll have to use "that".

If the subordinate is not necessary for the whole sentence to make sense, you'd use "who/which/whom" but it's fine if you use "that" too.

That's the best way to describe it, and i don't think anyone has covered it yet. And many people still get it wrong. In the end, whoever you'd be talking to would understand you, whatever you use.

The simple fact is that native English speakers generally know nothing about rules of grammar and simply use whatever colloquialisms their peers use :)

Diplo said:
The simple fact is that native English speakers generally know nothing about rules of grammar and simply use whatever colloquialisms their peers use :)

True, i'm Italian and my spelling and general grammar is much better than native english people simply because i studied English and English literature at school for like 9 years before moving to London.
When i got here, speaking was difficult because the English they teach you at school is just not what's spoken over here, but at least i have a very good base for writing grammar and spelling, which has turned out very very very useful in my life over here. Now people can't tell i'm Italian, even though they sometimes go "i can't tell where you're from", cause (sadly) i picked up a London accent in the last 5 years.

Diplo said:

English is a living language, it's defined by implementation. :smile:

English is a language which has been cleverly designed to confuse foreigners. This gives us the opportunity to laugh at their funny accents and mistakes in pronunciation. :p

london-boy said:
Which is a typically English excuse for being ignorant about something... ;)
If you say so! ;) Tell someone from Newcastle, or Glasgow, or Penzance, or Liverpool that they don't speak English. Or America. Or Australia. Or New Zuhyland. Or Mr Shakespeare (what an illiterate fool that man was!).

I mean I know that the rear-fitted root vegetable brigade have coronaries about the language changing before their eyes, but fundamentally the point of the language is communication, it's not an end in itself. The rules matter at the point that comminication breaks down, not at the point that those with nothing better to do start to tremble with rage and write letters to Teh Times.

nutball said:
Or Mr Shakespeare (what an illiterate fool that man was!).

Oddly enough, there is no record of Shakespeare ever spelling his name in that manner - there are a few of his signatures on record in which his name is spelt in a number of different ways but not by the commonly-known spelling!

Perhaps he was dyslexic? :smile:

nutball said:
English is a living language, it's defined by implementation. :smile:
The trouble, of course, is that it makes communication across time rather more difficult.

Back