Question for PS3 owners

Nevermind my previous post months back, it was a tv issue.

I was wondering, what program should I use to transfer large video files to the PS3(8GB+).

I was using Red Kawa for the smaller files and it works perfect, though apparently it has problems on files larger than 4.5GB(somewhere along there) so I need another program.

Just to clarify, I need file transferring not file streaming. Thanks.

With a media server, such as TVersity, you can copy the files over to the PS3 from the XMB. Right Click (Triangle) -> Copy.

I am going to lump this question in this thread.

I can't put my finger on when this started happening. The only thing I can think of is since the last FW update.

In the XMB any audio played doesn't get played through the Sub. And the audio coming out of the remaining 7.1 speakers is of poor audio quality. IE, i play some music stored on my HD and the quality is terrible. The first thing you think is, wait, something is wrong here.

BUT, when I play a Blu-Ray, Game, or DVD the audio is fine. All the channels are clear and crisp, and the LFE is functioning.

I am using HDMI. I have tried checking around in the settings, and haven't been able to find anything that I think would make a difference changing.

Does anyone have any insight on whats going on? Steps to resolution? Something I should check?

When you are playing something hit triangle to bring up the menu and select the volume control. Make sure the volume is in the middle, if it is too high it tends to distort the sound.

AntShaw,

I'm seeing the same problem too on my PS3 hooked up to my receiver via HDMI. The cause seems to be that the PS3 doesn't scale back the active channels to the source when playing audio. It always outputs 5.1, and when it plays a 2.0 CD track, as an example, there's only signal on the front left and right channels. When the receiver is fed 5.1 channels, it faithfully plays silence on the channels that have no signal, so nothing comes out of the sub, the center, or the surround channels.

This behaviour is very different from when the PS3 is playing *video* with 2.0 audio. In that case, the PS3 feeds the receiver 2.0 channels, and the receiver then mixes the 2-channel source into the sub, centre, and surrounds depending on the surround mode I set it to.

I hope this gets fixed ASAP.

AntShaw,

I'm seeing the same problem too on my PS3 hooked up to my receiver via HDMI. The cause seems to be that the PS3 doesn't scale back the active channels to the source when playing audio. It always outputs 5.1, and when it plays a 2.0 CD track, as an example, there's only signal on the front left and right channels. When the receiver is fed 5.1 channels, it faithfully plays silence on the channels that have no signal, so nothing comes out of the sub, the center, or the surround channels.

This behaviour is very different from when the PS3 is playing *video* with 2.0 audio. In that case, the PS3 feeds the receiver 2.0 channels, and the receiver then mixes the 2-channel source into the sub, centre, and surrounds depending on the surround mode I set it to.

I hope this gets fixed ASAP.

There was talk of this "feature" on finnish forum. People actually did start to get 2channel instead of 5.1 channel from hdmi after choosing the right audio output frequency.

You have to set cd audio output frequency right and you have to have matching 2channel output enabled from here.

If those two settings don't match ps3 actually will reroute audio via 5.1 output which has appropriate frequency. Please also be mindful of what your amplifier accepts or you might get no output or just garbage.

I have a Sony STRDG910 receiver. I have set my Audio settings up for CD both ways, and have had no difference. For the audio output, I have HDMI set to all.

This isn't just when playing CD's inside the PS3, but also for any CD's I have ripped, or MP3's I have copied onto the PS3. Mind you, it's at the point where they are unlistenable due to the quality. I haven't done much messing around with this in the last week, but this is high in on my agenda to fix.

I am going to hook back up the optical cable, and see if it goes back to normal (it should. it works like that on my other PS3.) I have my receiver set to use whatever signal the PS3 is sending. I am fairly positive in my tinkering I have adjusted the receiver to decode the signal itself into any of the various x.1 settings to no avail. Although, I can't speak clearly on what I've specifically tried (don't remember.)

It's on my to-do list in the next few days. I will gladly welcome all suggestions.

I have a Sony STRDG910 receiver. I have set my Audio settings up for CD both ways, and have had no difference. For the audio output, I have HDMI set to all.

This isn't just when playing CD's inside the PS3, but also for any CD's I have ripped, or MP3's I have copied onto the PS3. Mind you, it's at the point where they are unlistenable due to the quality. I haven't done much messing around with this in the last week, but this is high in on my agenda to fix.

I am going to hook back up the optical cable, and see if it goes back to normal (it should. it works like that on my other PS3.) I have my receiver set to use whatever signal the PS3 is sending. I am fairly positive in my tinkering I have adjusted the receiver to decode the signal itself into any of the various x.1 settings to no avail. Although, I can't speak clearly on what I've specifically tried (don't remember.)

It's on my to-do list in the next few days. I will gladly welcome all suggestions.

Which firmware did you use when trying that out? At least the discussion I referred started having "Hey now it works" just after the latest firmware...

I am using the most recent firmware. I've lost track. 2.4 maybe? This is a newish PS3 (1-2) months and I never actually remember getting any good audio at any point.

I can try backing up and restoring, if thats what it comes down to.

I have 2 PS3's. The first got damaged in a lightning strike and it damaged the HDMI port. Everything else works fine on that one. I was never able to test it with HDMI with the current receiver I have (old receiver was damaged in lightning strike as well.)

It has to be an issue with however the PS3 is sending the signal to my receiver since it works fine for gaming/blu-ray/dvd.

I'm going to copy over a couple of vids tonight and see if the same issue applies to them as well. It's a bit disappointing as this PS3 is in my media room.

2.52 is the most recent one, fwiw

You'll get it to work, don't give up. ;)

I am going to lump this question in this thread.

I can't put my finger on when this started happening. The only thing I can think of is since the last FW update.

In the XMB any audio played doesn't get played through the Sub. And the audio coming out of the remaining 7.1 speakers is of poor audio quality. IE, i play some music stored on my HD and the quality is terrible. The first thing you think is, wait, something is wrong here.

BUT, when I play a Blu-Ray, Game, or DVD the audio is fine. All the channels are clear and crisp, and the LFE is functioning.

I am using HDMI. I have tried checking around in the settings, and haven't been able to find anything that I think would make a difference changing.

Does anyone have any insight on whats going on? Steps to resolution? Something I should check?

Hello,
I have the same receiver, but with a 5.1 setup. I'm not sure if this will help, but I had a similar issue with no audio coming through the sub when playing music from the xmb (and like you fine with movies and games). On your receiver, do you have front speakers set to large? This was the default setting on mine after setting up. Setting the speakers to small resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps,

Lee.

Hello,
I have the same receiver, but with a 5.1 setup. I'm not sure if this will help, but I had a similar issue with no audio coming through the sub when playing music from the xmb (and like you fine with movies and games). On your receiver, do you have front speakers set to large? This was the default setting on mine after setting up. Setting the speakers to small resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps,

Lee.

This sounds plausible! Can't wait to check.

Hello,

This will get signal to the sub, but I don't think it's *the* solution because it will probably always divert some bass on the main speakers to the subs even when the receiver is getting discrete 5.1 or 7.1 channels. (That's the effect on most receivers of selecting "small" on a speaker.)

The only way I can get audio to play properly on my PS3/receiver combination is to disable the 5.1 PCM and 7.1 PCM formats, leaving only 2.0 PCM and Dolby and DTS for 5.1, for HDMI audio on the PS3. But this isn't a full solution either as I can't enjoy the multi-channel PCM tracks of Blu-rays and SACDs.

Phat

This will get signal to the sub, but I don't think it's *the* solution because it will probably always divert some bass on the main speakers to the subs even when the receiver is getting discrete 5.1 or 7.1 channels. (That's the effect on most receivers of selecting "small" on a speaker.)

The only way I can get audio to play properly on my PS3/receiver combination is to disable the 5.1 PCM and 7.1 PCM formats, leaving only 2.0 PCM and Dolby and DTS for 5.1, for HDMI audio on the PS3. But this isn't a full solution either as I can't enjoy the multi-channel PCM tracks of Blu-rays and SACDs.

Phat

Setting the crossover frequency will let you determine the thresold at which lower frequency audio is directed to the sub though, won't it? I don't have a great deal of knowledge in this area though.

Lee.

Back