Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

Some of the shots look offline (pre-rendered), but not in the fashion of being unplayable. I get the distinct vibe, we're looking at a mixture of polygon models (vehicles, characters, items, vegetation/trees, etc...) with controlled (camera movement) static offline scenery.

Seriously, are you kidding here??

Some of the shots look offline (pre-rendered), but not in the fashion of being unplayable. I get the distinct vibe, we're looking at a mixture of polygon models (vehicles, characters, items, vegetation/trees, etc...) with controlled (camera movement) static offline scenery. Somewhat reminiscent of the earlier Resident Evil games, especially Resident Evil Zero. But better... miles better. I could be wrong, but the actual scenery looks static, with aliasing only occurring around poly-meshed based objects.

I'm not nocking this, I actually would love to see more games using high quality pre-rendered backgrounds/setups... freeing up the GPU for better character geometry, great lighting and shadowing, etc. But yes, I know, static backdrops/environments can be limiting to camera movement and gameplay mechanics. I think I'm just an old softy for Resident Evil Zero... :cry:

Hmmm no... everything is real-time besides the destruction's physics calculation which was pre-computed and played back in game using DMM Playback http://www.pixelux.com/ .

Seriously, are you kidding here??

No, I wasn't. :LOL:

I was strictly judging the game on the still shots (that's the reason I said "still shots"), haven't gotten the chance to view the video(s) yet... nanny/websense video block at work. I haven't been around my home PC since WD launched. Hopefully, I'll get a chance tonight...

But yes, I conveyed this around the still shots, like this one. The character looks disconnected from the scene, and the lighting & shadowing looks pre-baked... which gave me the impression of pre-rendered backgrounds.
quantumbreak_gameplayajugx.jpg

Oh yes and the entire gameplay which is about freezing time during action scenes, well that's just gonna take place in front a static 2D image. In 2015. And of course any previous engine demonstrations of full 3D scenes we've seen before were fake, right?

Please start to think before you post such stuff. Or at least wait until you watched the videos. Otherwise it's only going to add to the noise and you've wasted everybody's time who had to read your comment.

If I didn't know any better, I would say this is the most graphically detailed and complex game I have ever seen, we all mistakenly thought the first trailers were CG not actual gameplay renders. I am curious as to how they achieved that kind of fidelity.

I also felt Wolfenstein had quite a bit of complexity going on as well. The resistance hideout stands out for me.

Oh yes and the entire gameplay which is about freezing time during action scenes, well that's just gonna take place in front a static 2D image. In 2015. And of course any previous engine demonstrations of full 3D scenes we've seen before were fake, right?

Please start to think before you post such stuff. Or at least wait until you watched the videos. Otherwise it's only going to add to the noise and you've wasted everybody's time who had to read your comment.

Haven't kept up with Remedy and it's work lately. So my bad... but yes, I will try to judge (or make an opinion), based on video footage.

Edit: Just watched the trailer... looks good, real good. Hopefully 1080p/30fps, since it's a 2015 game. Also, Jack Joyce??? Really???

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Payne/Mona Sax
Alan/Alice Wake

At least he's not something like Roy Edward Joyce. ;)

Max Payne and Alan Wake isn't bad... Mona Sax is just laughable. But yes, Jack Joyce is just terrible, hopefully that's the only that's terrible in the game.

I'm pretty sure the entire game is sprite based.

It wouldn't be the first game to have an odd disconnect between characters and certain environment lighting - Killzone 2, Saint's Row 3 (depending on DOF setting on PC at least), Unreal Championship 2, some other UE3 titles, RE6.... Of course, it doesn't happen in all the shots. O1866 isn't entirely immune. Some of the latest shots from Deep Down have an odd look too.

Rim lighting, cinematic lighting... yadda yadda.

Max(imum) Payne and A. Wake are rather cheesy names, but constrained to a gaming audience. If Remedy are wanting to court the TV audience with this, they shouldn't go the daft name route in a serious production. Jack is so generically US Hero Name that I can't fathom where Remedy are going with this.

Seriously impressive tech this game has, haven't seen anything like it before
ibm7wzhzS5vARf.gif

Along with regular game optimization,reduced kinect gpu overhead and the dx12 xbox one update the game should look even better! Not to mention it's coming out in 2015 anyways. Seriously impressed with the Northlight Engine.

Seriously impressive tech this game has, haven't seen anything like it before
ibm7wzhzS5vARf.gif

Along with regular game optimization,reduced kinect gpu overhead and the dx12 xbox one update the game should look even better! Not to mention it's coming out in 2015 anyways. Seriously impressed with the Northlight Engine.

I don't think this game will be dx12 ground up. It's been in development for far too long; perhaps the d3d12 portion of it though. Kinect GPU overhead is still present for now as well.

Then again, DX12 blog indicates that DX12 based games are targeted for Holidays 2015.

Remedy character names are always funny. Max Payne, Alan Wake, Jack Joyce, Paul Serene, Beth Wilder.... If you are used to Remedy by now this shouldn't come as a surprise.
Infact Serene and Wilder are a shout out to a poem in Alan Wake.

Its an identity of theirs and long may it continue.

It wouldn't be the first game to have an odd disconnect between characters and certain environment lighting - Killzone 2, Saint's Row 3 (depending on DOF setting on PC at least), Unreal Championship 2, some other UE3 titles, RE6.... Of course, it doesn't happen in all the shots. O1866 isn't entirely immune. Some of the latest shots from Deep Down have an odd look too.

Rim lighting, cinematic lighting... yadda yadda.

You can't fool me. I can spot 16bit sprites when I see them.

I don't think this game will be dx12 ground up. It's been in development for far too long; perhaps the d3d12 portion of it though. Kinect GPU overhead is still present for now as well.

Then again, DX12 blog indicates that DX12 based games are targeted for Holidays 2015.

Yeah but it should be reduced soon enough, definitely before this game comes out. Might not seem like a lot but it's something. Do you think quantum break will use the d3d12 portion if the game is coming out summer 2015?

Yeah but it should be reduced soon enough, definitely before this game comes out. Might not seem like a lot but it's something. Do you think quantum break will use the d3d12 portion if the game is coming out summer 2015?

Dunno; maybe? It was indicated that it took Forza 5 took 4 man month (I'm assuming this means 4 FTE in 1 month) effort to convert it from D3D11 to D3D12. If they wanted to move to D3D12, they certainly have the time to considering the game is being released in 2015, and even then we're not entirely sure where in 2015 it is being released.

Likely if it's low effort and high return you'll see them convert it to d3d12 - if it's high effort and diminishing returns on performance, I don't think they'll spend time there that they could be doing on QA/bug fixes.

Back