Quantum Break versus Uncharted 4 visual comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quantum Break is a gorgeous games for sure and in my opinion is the best looking Xbox One games and among the best looking game on all platform.

Another thing I like is the IQ...

Last edited:
IQ? Weren't there reports floating around that the Xbox version was 720P?

Nah, it was taken out of context. From the looks of the latest footage it looks like it's around 900p but i am no pixel counter. Some aliasing from the recent footage for anyone that wants to do it though:
xboxtv-quantumbreak-9lssdz.jpg

I'm with Scott_Arm on this one. I've never seen the benefits of these VS threads. I mean I don't think they're inherently bad, and I'm not telling people NOT to keep comparing, to each his own.

My point is that it's so difficult to compare apples to apples.

There are just so many things at play when making a game meaning you always have to make sacrifices somewhere along the line depending on the type of game, the environments, lighting, number of enemies etc etc etc. Not to mention comparing between different platforms... Comparing games on the same platform, or even better sequels of games or maybe even games made by the same team would make more sense.

The important thing to realize is that there are a LOT of great games in all genres and on all platforms coming out right now :) Great time to be a gamer! Me likes. And I for one can't wait to play Uncharted 4, looks spectacular.

Agreed, vs threads are nothing but hyperbolic nonsense 99% of the time and both QB and U4 look incredible. Love your work by the way and happy to see the PC port releasing alongside the X1 version, are you guys releasing any information about how it works with Dx12? Since QB is probably the first AAA game on PC that is using it :smile:

Last edited:
How do you even find a clean edge in that picture, it's post processed to infinity :p

But well if Xbone runs it at 900P and looks like that, then I have really high hopes for the PC version that has a recommended specification of a 980Ti.

Nah, it was taken out of context. From the looks of the latest footage it looks like it's around 900p but i am no pixel counter. Some aliasing from the recent footage for anyone that wants to do it though:
xboxtv-quantumbreak-9lssdz.jpg

I am not pixel counter too but TAA and 900p with a bit of sharpening is a good solution like in UC 4 beta MP.

I hate vs threads.
I'm with Scott_Arm on this one. I've never seen the benefits of these VS threads.
This does not belong here. It is fanboy nonsense.
It was a discussion started in the Quantum Break game thread, as often happens. It's moved here to keep that thread on the topic of QB. I decided this time at least the games are similar such that a comparison could be more reasonably made than the usual impossible comparisons, so diverted the talk to the Tech forum rather than just amputate it.

Those who disagree can excerise their right to not engage with a specific thread and leave it for others who are interested (feel free to shake your head in consternation at their folly behind the scenes). Or, as is the preferred internet way, send me abusive emails and tweets and call me an ugly slag on Facebook and load up on death threats...

Last edited:
There are just so many things at play when making a game meaning you always have to make sacrifices somewhere along the line depending on the type of game, the environments, lighting, number of enemies etc etc etc. Not to mention comparing between different platforms...
The discussion isn't a judgement on the games, nor an attempt to claim one is superior. It's just individuals saying what they prefer the look of and, in the tech forum, what technical features are in effect to accomplish that (I hope! Though it'll mostly come down to art style, I'm sure). As long as people aren't under the delusion that if one game is a using a feature, all others should and only Lazy Devs prevent them, it should/could be a reasonable discussion on what's possible and what sort of results we can expect.

If somehow there was absolutely no subjective comparison allowed between games and hardware we would still play NES games today.

Anyway, Remedy have done an outstanding job with QB.

Of course, you'd expect the build shown to the press was already some weeks old. And the game is probably using adaptive vsync so that's why it tears, as long as it holds performance in check it should be clean. Also, saw some of that 40 minute footage and it seems like they are using some sort of TAA, you can see some heavy ghosting in some places.

These two releasing so close will be interesting to compare! Remedy definitely delivers when it comes to visuals, audio and storytelling imo (really liked Alan Wake). I have to say though QB can improve when it comes to skin shading and lighting of characters, hair also looks a bit off when compared to U4

qbbkugw8ouex.jpg

u486uuj.jpg

Both from the latest footage available :smile:
One is attempting to look realistic one is just attempting to be a good looking game.

Uncharted wins for me for trying it's best to look real.

It's curious how different people have different takes. To my mind, Uncharted is not and nevery has tried to look real. I thought ND said they were going for a slightly stylised graphic-novel sense. Reading your first sentence, I thought you were saying QB was going for real (filmic) and UC was going for the 'good looking game'!

From my observation UC4 is definitely doing more in sheer scale, multiple path taking, much more denser environment, more higher res textures, much more destructible environment, more convincing skin, hair shaders and modeling. Set piece in UC4 also appeared more complex, more happening on screen, especially with all sorts of mud, fire and explosion effects. QB has slightly better lighting and those pre recorded destruction look cool too but the rest of the package are kinda lacking. Environment detail, density are nowhere near UC4's, scale is smaller, low res textures laden, limited destruction, but character models do look nice yet just a notch below UC's in terms of skin and hair shading.
But more importantly by the end of April I will have a much better idea of which one stands on top overall. The lack of high quality captures from QB also doesn't help either.

I think comparing games of somewhat similar genre and design ( character driven cinematic third person shooter ) from two AAA studious is very interesting discussion. Trying to ellect a winner is of course silly, but disecting the diferent trade-offs, and what tricks one could learn from the other, is to me, exactly what I'd expect from a forum like this.

I feel like both games have their share of merits. But I wanna see more footage from both still before putting my two cents into what grants each their specific look. What stands out most imidiatly, are the artistic choices of lighting and post processing. QB really looks like a good emulation of an Science Fiction American TV show, very colorful and high contrast lighting, and a generally soft fuzzy look. Uncharted looks like a Summer Blockbuster for theaters, with softer and more natural lighting, and finer, dirtier textures and a certain feel of grandness that QB somewhat lacks. QB's look is not unlike that of AW either, which was a damn fine looking game, and also presented itself like a TV show to some extent.

I feel like both games have their share of merits. But I wanna see more footage from both still before putting my two cents into what grants each their specific look.

This, and i want to see the final builds both games ship. Anything can change until the release date as both teams are crunching for the next 2 months. I also agree that both are going after a different look visually and that's a good thing. As i see it both Alan Wake and TLOU/Uncharted 2/3 are some of the finest looking games last gen (art and technology) and it's pretty obvious why someone would be excited for the latest iteration of both engines, and also the art and assets the current gen enables to display.

Last edited:
How do you even find a clean edge in that picture, it's post processed to infinity :p

But well if Xbone runs it at 900P and looks like that, then I have really high hopes for the PC version that has a recommended specification of a 980Ti.

requirements have been updated:
http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-pre-orders-and-previews-launch-windows-10-version-announced/

Quantum Break PC Requirements

MINIMUM

RECOMMENDED

ULTRA
OS

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 (64-bit)
DirectX

DirectX 12

DirectX 12

DirectX 12
CPU

Intel Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or
AMD FX-6300

Intel Core i5 4690, 3.9GHz or
AMD equivalent

Intel Core i7 4790, 4GHz or AMD equivalent
GPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R7 260x

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or
AMD Radeon R9 390

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti or
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
VRAM

2 GB

4 GB

6 GB
RAM

8 GB

16 GB

16 GB

It was a discussion started in the Quantum Break game thread, as often happens. It's moved here to keep that thread on the topic of QB. I decided this time at least the games are similar such that a comparison could be more reasonably made than the usual impossible comparisons, so diverted the talk to the Tech forum rather than just amputate it.

Those who disagree can excerise their right to not engage with a specific thread and leave it for others who are interested (feel free to shake your head in consternation at their folly behind the scenes). Or, as is the preferred internet way, send me abusive emails and tweets and call me an ugly slag on Facebook and load up on death threats...

Link to your Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back