Qualcomm Krait & MSM8960 @ AnandTech

I really wish they would just drop the shoddy UI skins, i must admit i loved the original HTC skins they covered over the old windows mobile, it actually made it usable, the HD2 was a very good Windows mobile phone and that was mostly down to HTC.

Early Android phones like the desire, hero, Legend etc echo this, but as soon as we got to Gingerbread class the UI skins became more of a hinderance than a boon, they are all bad, but Sense is by far the worst, im sure i saw a clip on BBC CLICK tech show where they demoed an early HTC ONE X and it looked like it had a little lag on that heavy Sense start screen.

I wouldn't mind so much if they just gave you the option to delete the crappy bloatware off your phone, apps ui skins, Launchers everything..and have it how YOU want it, that and the stupid carrier branding ruining your lovely svelte £500 smartphone..yuk.

About optimisations, Asus and Samsung seem to optimise the handsets the best, Samsung was the first manufacturer to use the new Adreno drivers, it also was the first to customise Gingerbreads browser to Honeycomb levels, including gpu rendering and utilising the backing store.

It's running neck to neck with the Renesas SGX543MP2, also being a smartphone design.

I agree, it does remarkably well for an early software version. Would expect it to be even faster with final version of firmware and most current drivers.
But there are people that will still call it slow and crippled, just because it is made by qualcomm.

I agree, it does remarkably well for an early software version. Would expect it to be even faster with final version of firmware and most current drivers.

Frequency is unknown for the 225, but it should be by a magnitude higher than that of the MP2 in the ODIN.
But there are people that will still call it slow and crippled, just because it is made by qualcomm.

Hopefully those aren't in any way connected to any other company. If yes they could only dream of yielding the design wins Qualcomm manages per year ;)

Frequency is unknown for the 225, but it should be by a magnitude higher than that of the MP2 in the ODIN.

A "magnitude higher", or an "order of magnitude" higher means at least 10x more.
I hope you didn't mean that.

A "magnitude higher", or an "order of magnitude" higher means at least 10x more.
I hope you didn't mean that.

See metafor's answer above. I don't know where the MP2 is really clocked but I'd be very surprised if it's at iPhone4S (200MHz) frequency. In that regard the 225 score is still more than good, since I severely doubt that it has more than 2 TMUs and is capable of more than 16z/clock, despite its 8 Vec4 ALUs.

***edit:

Wishmaster,
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...emers2c-former-amd-cto-joins-the-company.aspx
:p

Frequency unknown? I thought it was announced already that 225 would be at 400 mhz? (Up from 266 Mhz on 220)

And I can be sure that they'll use 400MHz even in smart-phone SoCs? Not impossible frankly, but in the majority of cases smart-phone SoCs use lower frequencies for obvious reasons.

Ailuros, you're truly bearer of good news :D
Now that's really good news for Qualcomm and their graphics department. Hopefully he'll manage to do some magic for adreno 320.

I could have said "confirmed" when I first posted a relevant link since I was as sure as I could be. In any case given the relatively short timeframe I wouldn't think that Demer's influence in the coming generation could be more than conversative. One thing BSN is correct about is Demer's character description. I don't even know if he still uses his account here, but irrelevant of companies or any relevant crap, the few times I had the chance to talk with him points at a gentleman with a capital "G" which is quite rare these days.

And I can be sure that they'll use 400MHz even in smart-phone SoCs? Not impossible frankly, but in the majority of cases smart-phone SoCs use lower frequencies for obvious reasons.

Yes thats generally true but at least in the case of Qualcomm's SoC's the GPU clocks appear to be the same between the tablet and phone offerings. AFAIK even thought the CPU clocks varied, the GPU clock across all dual core MSM 8260/8660's was the same, i.e 266 mhz.

That's a pity then if true, because I was honestly hoping those results for the 225 were at say 300MHz with another 25% performance headroom lurking in the additional frequency :cry:

Going to dual channel will do that. However, the CF-Bench results were lower than expected. Although some things are fairly suspicious; Java FLOPS are 100% of native. Which either indicates incredible auto-vectorization (which I don't think the JIT does) or native code generated isn't very good.

I thought that the S4 Pro, which Qualcomm already demonstrated as 4-core version of, was both confirmed to be running Adreno 320 and optimized for Windows 8. So I'm taking this rumor with some big time salt.

Going to dual channel will do that. However, the CF-Bench results were lower than expected. Although some things are fairly suspicious; Java FLOPS are 100% of native. Which either indicates incredible auto-vectorization (which I don't think the JIT does) or native code generated isn't very good.

AFAIK, java JIT has zero support for SIMD.

Snapdragon S4 has showed up in reviews for the HTC ONE S and has got very favourable reviews...very good graphics...around Tegra 3 spec..
Krait seems to run along very smoothly..out pacing similar clocked quad A9's... also just as importantly 28nm seems to be working well as the chip produces very good battery life....better than the already decent Tegra 3...with a more modest battery (the Tegra 3 ONE X has a larger 720p screen).

So certainly a solid start from Snapdragon S4....if Qualcomm can get that quad core + Adreno 320 moving along quick...as well as TSMC improving manufacturing + HKMG....well lets just say we are at a point now where even on the previously buggy/slow Android..we are not wanting for performance/smoothness/all day battery life...happy days:D

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-one-s-review-02220931/

Here is another video demonstratng just how powerfull the dual core S4 is...the reviewer is loading as many apps and top quality games in the back ground as possible..with NO slowdown whats so ever..none at all, silky smooth.
http://www.slashgear.com/htc-one-s-shows-qualcomm-snapdragon-s4-prowess-02221088/

With this kind of performance you would not notice any benefit to extra cores/clock speed/ram or anything on day to day usage...only running dedicated video editing apps or high performance games specifically would you need more.

Maybe having more Krait cores would enable slightly better battery life whilst heavy multitasking..other than that outside of W8...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back