PureVideo questions

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hello guys,

I just got a Geforce 6 and i was playing with it last night...

I have a few questions about PureVideo and the HD video hardware accelleration business:

First of all, does the accelleration work regardless of what player i use? I usually use VLC but last night i tried with WMP10 like it said on the instructions...

I installed the PureVideo decoders you buy online, and I was playing MPEG2 files and they look good (didn't notice a difference from my 5900U though), so is that all there is to it?

Also, about HD files, they seem to be playing exactly the same as they did on my 5900U... Maybe a bit smoother, and QT HD videos definately work better even though my system just doesn't seem to like QT at all... Am i missing something? Is this it? Shouldn't i see big improvements? Not that i'm bothered, i paid 40 quid for this thing... still, it's the principle! :)

Thanks!!

Did you install a couple of WMP10 patches to activate WMV-HD acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of buying "purevideo" go and take CoreAVC Pro
I just tried their april version and it Rocks. Much lower CPU load than 6600+purevideo and No artefacts (right now purevideo+6600 lowers cpu load but gives such artefacts that its 110% impossible to watch)

If one day i'm going to need H.264 decoder, I'll buy coreavc

chavvdarrr said:
Instead of buying "purevideo" go and take CoreAVC Pro
I just tried their april version and it Rocks. Much lower CPU load than 6600+purevideo and No artefacts (right now purevideo+6600 lowers cpu load but gives such artefacts that its 110% impossible to watch)

If one day i'm going to need H.264 decoder, I'll buy coreavc

Well i didn't "buy" it.

But thanks. The question is, will these decoders always work, regardless of the player i use? I use VLC for everything...

london-boy said:
Pretty sure, yep... But it worked even on my 5900, though probably not as smooth...
Of course it works, but GeForce 5900 does not accelerate WMV9 (SD and HD) format, only MPEG2...:mad:

london-boy said:
Well i didn't "buy" it.

But thanks. The question is, will these decoders always work, regardless of the player i use? I use VLC for everything...
AFAIK, VLC is NOT using DirectShow filters.... so purevideo can't accelerate it :D
You'll need WMP or WMPClassic(not the MS one!) to see if anything works better.

PS: weird. I can almost swear that I had written few more words at the end of my previous post... yet they are not here and post was not edited....

Back