PSWii Wii60 PSWii60 owners - How often does your Wii get used?

How often does your Wii get used?

• Very often

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Quite often

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Once in a while

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Collecting dust

Votes: 26 70.3%

• Total voters
So my brother just got a Wii a week or so ago so I finally got some quality time in with it, and I gotta say... I had a lot of fun. I tried the Wii for a bit when some friends brought it over and I wasn't impressed at all, but I only played Wii Play for a bit. Today I got to try CoD WaW and Tiger Woods 10 and I had a blast with both. Even Wii Sport Resort has some fun games. I'm really considering buying a Wii now as a secondary gaming machine (currently own a PS3 and am more than happy) but I'm not sure how much it will get used in the long run. Basically I'm worried it will be fun at first, but get boring after time. So I'm just wondering: for you PSWii Wii60 PSWii60 owners, how often does your Wii get used? I only ask PSWii Wii60 PSWii60 owners as they are more likely to have the same tastes in gaming as I do.

The way I see it if you have friends coming over for diner or whatever that's a good opportunity to use the Wii. In that social context it's a great little box.

If you are going to play alone the controller novelty will eventually wear off and you will be left with a system with not so good graphics.

We have the 3 consoles in our office's break room and both the 360 and the PS3 are used every day. The Wii we haven't powered up in months. I play enough at home so I usually only use the pool table ;)

Sadly Collecting dust for too long.Planing to give it to my nephews for Christmas,hopefully a new life oportunity for it.

Well, I always have family and friends over for supper at least once a week, all of which have fun with it. Plus I actually found CoD WaW to be fun with the motion controls. I might actually consider double dipping for shooters that are released on PS3 and Wii. I mean, I'm much better on the gamepad (or maybe I'm just not used to the motion controls) but it was really fun, and my bro doesn't even have the Wii zapper yet. Something else to consider is that I can pretty much go to my brothers house any time I want. It would be nice to have when company comes over I guess.

I think I'll eventually get one. I think I'm just talking myself out of it because I'm buying a 54"-55" HDTV soon, putting me back ~$2700. :-| Maybe I'll just wait for a good deal. It seems like a money pit after you purchase one (multiple controllers, Motion Plus, games etc.).

My Wii is collecting dust.
I do power it on occasionally, if the blue light is flashing as that means some update.
I'd like to finish Mario Galaxy and Zelda, but there's just too much to play and watch on the PS3 that I don't seem to find the time.
I haven't bought a game for Wii since summer (Sports Resort). The three game Metroid bundle is somewhat tempting, but I think I'm spoiled by high definition so that I don't really want to play SD games on a 92" screen any more.

As neat and cool as I think the Virtual Console is, I don't have a terrible amount of use for it since I have a sizable portion of the games in their original format and on original hardware to play them on. As for the original content...

Bought mine with my twin bro (archangelmorph) for our Christmas BBQ back in July this year... we used it once on the day... then I used it again when I had friend's round back in October.

My bro has it now, I believe he was trying to use it to seduce his wife into a video gaming hobby but I'm not sure they even get much use out of it now :p

Collecting dust. Nothing on it that is remotely interesting, aside from the occational use with friends and drinks

Drunk gaming?

Is it that the games don't have depth once you're past the novelty of the motion controls?

The graphics?

Only good in social situations?

Whatever the case, it continues to sell well.

Well, sometimes before we hit the town he try to do some wii golfing or some stupid thing and do some kind of drinking rules. Say, for every hit on the golf ball you need to drink some, or whatever. We haven't done this in a long while thought, if we play its usually fifa10.

Me and my GF did enjoy SMG, which was a fun platformer. But as you say, most of the games seem to lack depth. And some games are just ruined by stupid mechanics. Mario Kart wii is a good example game, where the speedup bonuses from being behind and the way bonuses are given (you only get good stuff if your behind), basically ensures that unless you get very lucky (or oppsition sucks ass), its impossible to win by staying in first place for the entire race. You have to be tactical and stay in 2nd until the very end, then try to come forward.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll take a good look at the current and upcoming games and decide. I guess it would be good for when I have people over as mmendez suggested.

Mine gets used for Wii Fit, EA Sports Active and that's about it. I will get the new 2D Mario game over the holidays and that should get me using it again.

I don't have a Wii, but a lot of my friends do, so here's my take:

If you have friends over frequently, you can't go wrong with a Wii, especially since the HD consoles have so few good games with local multi. You can even invite girls over to play Wii, or if girls invite you over, say, "Want me to bring my Wii?" Outside of a few JRPGs, 1st party games, and rail shooters, though, there isn't much single-player fun to be had.

Ostepop said:
typical complaining about MKWii
I can't think of any racing game that you can just dominate in 1st place the entire time unless your opposition is much less skilled than you.

I don't have one, unless you count the other "Wii" :LOL:

My roommates use theirs, but then again they are hardcore gamers, and actually play the VC games too since those games are a big part of their early gaming experiences.

Sadly, mine's firmly in the collecting dust section. It's actually my 2nd one as I already gave the one I had bought myself away (to someone who wanted to Wii Fit regularly), but then my employer handed them out as Christmas presents. Wii is like frigging Pet Sematary.

I can't think of any racing game that you can just dominate in 1st place the entire time unless your opposition is much less skilled than you.

You completely missed the point!

Mario Kart mechanics make it near impossible to stay infront, REGARDLESS of skill level. The other people have to crash etc constantly for it to be possible. You can be Michael Schumacher and you would still loose. Because people that are behind get boosts etc while you dont. The game is built to make sure that people in the back are allways faster than people in the front. Which is just bullshit.

In games without speedups etc, if your infront, your gonna stay infront unless somebody drives better than you. Which is fair and how things are supposed to be. The opposition doesn't have to be much less skilled than you, (WTF??) you just have to be marginally better than them. Then you win.

MK2 mechanics if we translate them to an FPS game would be like this:
whenever you where leading the game, your bullets do half the damage and the oposition gets unlimited heatseeking RPG's + double health + auto aim. Obviously, unless the oposition keeps nading themselves or something, your cannot win unless you get first at the very last second. You have no chance of winning by staying in front.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to play alone the controller novelty will eventually wear off and you will be left with a system with not so good graphics.

The way to solve that is to not keep playing Wii games that use the controller as a novelty.. Go and play a game that uses the controller to actually make the game fun instead. My favourite Wii game is probably still Grand Slam Tennis. A very underated game that uses the controller to make Tennis more fun then I've ever experienced on a standard controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
You completely missed the point!

Mario Kart mechanics make it near impossible to stay infront, REGARDLESS of skill level. The other people have to crash etc constantly for it to be possible. You can be Michael Schumacher and you would still loose. Because people that are behind get boosts etc while you dont. The game is built to make sure that people in the back are allways faster than people in the front. Which is just bullshit.

In games without speedups etc, if your infront, your gonna stay infront unless somebody drives better than you. Which is fair and how things are supposed to be. The opposition doesn't have to be much less skilled than you, (WTF??) you just have to be marginally better than them. Then you win.

MK2 mechanics if we translate them to an FPS game would be like this:
whenever you where leading the game, your bullets do half the damage and the oposition gets unlimited heatseeking RPG's + double health + auto aim. Obviously, unless the oposition keeps nading themselves or something, your cannot win unless you get first at the very last second. You have no chance of winning by staying in front.

It's an artifact of making it kid friendly and kid accessible. Teens/Adults liking it is a bit secondary, thus it's never going to appeal to people that are actually INTO racing.

IMO, it's perfectly done for the market it's primarily targetting.

Other than Wii Fit (still haven't picked up EA Sports Active even though I mean to) mine gathers dust except when I have neices and nephews over...

Regards,
SB

Back