PSP P in september

Bobbler

Shazbot!
Veteran
I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread on it (although this section is generally pretty quiet).

- Video out
- Longer battery life while using a smaller battery (1200mA battery vs 1800mA, so a likely few chip shrinks)
- Faster load times
- $199 in entertainment pack with game/movie and 1gb stick (core pack should be $169)
- Same look, just lighter and slimmer -- comes in multiple colors (black and silver for the normal packs and white for a star wars pack -- also read mentions of a blue, pink, etc.)
- Charging through USB
- possibly new screen... less ghosting? (if they made it thinner they probably had to use a thinner screen)

I'm upgrading for the video out alone... I've wanted that for a long time (as I don't often play my portable systems outside of the house).

Video out is late, but good. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of updates to the AVC codecs resolution support this might result in and how good the scaling ends up being.

USB charging is good - should have been like that from day one.

Faster load times is obviously good, though it may not be so good for the 20 million PSP owners out there right now (I already have two).

Lighter and slimmer isn't bad either, and neither is longer battery life - probably will be cancelled out partly by the upgrade in clock, but that's not a bad thing, and even less so now that you can USB charge the thing.

Most of these things could have come earlier though, and it's a shame that the price is back to 199, but I guess it will stay that way until the old model has been sold. I reckon the good thing is that the old system should get some good promotions going to get them off the shelves. That could balance out others who will wait until the new system's out there.

Hmm, I actually didn't understand it as including Daxter and 1Gb stick for 199, but maybe it does, and in that case, not bad.

I'm probably in the same boat as dozens of people around here in that I'm pondering swapping my existing one for the new model.

I guess the biggest thing that'll sell the swap for me (and all that entails) is whether the ergonomics of the controls have changed significantly, and for the better. Revisions to the analogue stick and D-pad are what I've wanted most of all in any PSP revision.

Anyone have any clue if they've done anything in that area?

I guess the biggest thing that'll sell the swap for me (and all that entails) is whether the ergonomics of the controls have changed significantly, and for the better. Revisions to the analogue stick and D-pad are what I've wanted most of all in any PSP revision.

Anyone have any clue if they've done anything in that area?

Watch out for impressions later today / tomorrow. Sony's bound to let some people fiddle with it sooner or later.

edit: D-pad improvement

agree with Rys. hopefully screen is brighter as well as fixing shoulder buttinns. ;)

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Sony+PSP/news.asp?c=3606

D-pad 'vastly improved'
The directional pad, which we tested out in a quick go with Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron, has been vastly improved. Sony has raised the pad up for better responsiveness. It isn't nearly as soft as the previous model, with a press on the pad feeling much more distinct in this new design.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Longer battery life while using a smaller battery (1200mA battery vs 1800mA, so a likely few chip shrinks)
Cheapskates! How much more cost is there for a 1800 mAh Lithium versus a 1200? Are Sony really saving that much by diddling purchasers of 50% extra performance that'd be fairly expected from modern batteries?

I was really hoping they would have added 802.11g support. Oh well... I'm still getting it when it comes out. Keep my original as a spare dedicated to the PS3 for when they do something useful with it. :p

Cheapskates! How much more cost is there for a 1800 mAh Lithium versus a 1200? Are Sony really saving that much by diddling purchasers of 50% extra performance that'd be fairly expected from modern batteries?
doubt its for cost-savings, the accu has to fit into the smaller dimension(s).

Fair point. Do we have sizes? I've said before I don't think a slimmer PSP is a good idea, unless they've got a titanium alloy chassis! Too easy to snap in half otherwise!

I wonder if it's possible to get the silver PSP without the 1 GB stick. It sounds to me like only the black version will be offered sans extras. In any event, I have been contemplating buying another PSP due to a bad screen protector leaving a large amount of residue on my screen -- so I'll just have to wait until September.

I'm a little concerned about the UMD slot/door, it looks a bit flimsy compared to the original design. Also, since the unit is slimmer, it appears like the grips have been reduced, potentially making it less comfortable to hold.

However, video output is a big win, and I like some of the other changes, particularly the rearranged MS compartment. The current one tends to slide open on me while playing certain games.

Are movies still being released in UMD? Otherwise, does the video out matter that much?

It would be great for long flights if the battery life got into the double-digit hours.

So they reduced the battery capacity and raised the clock rate and they're claiming longer battery life?

You know with 2 GB Memory Sticks fairly affordable now, maybe it would be nice if you can rip games to a Memory Stick and ran off of it to increase battery life.

UMD capacity is like 1.7 GB isn't it?

I don't know if these change are enough to have the same effect the DS Lite had on sales.

Maybe they should be looking to PSP2 but with KK out of the picture ...

this comes out just in time for dracula x chronicles, which is good and bad.

i hope the hell the new psp p doesn't sell out on me, that would suck ass.

I recently sold my pc-engine import, and i got 100% completion rate, and i hope they emulate it instead of porting it, even though I probably won't even play it since i've already completed it.

although i guess emulating it would might be impossible b/c of the fact there's no english version.

i'm one of the few people eagerly awaiting dracula x chronicles exclusively for the remake.

this comes out just in time for dracula x chronicles, which is good and bad.

i hope the hell the new psp p doesn't sell out on me, that would suck ass.

I recently sold my pc-engine import, and i got 100% completion rate, and i hope they emulate it instead of porting it, even though I probably won't even play it since i've already completed it.

although i guess emulating it would might be impossible b/c of the fact there's no english version.

i'm one of the few people eagerly awaiting dracula x chronicles exclusively for the remake.

There is a PC-engine emulator for the psp you know (well if yours is homebrew enabled). I for my part am waiting for drac x too, but mainly because of the included SOTN.

Regarding the redesigned psp, it's pretty tempting, but I would never exchange it for my old one, so many cool homebrew software on it right now to toy with, like a VNC client, a FTP server (too lazy to get behind my desktop to plug the usb cable in) for file transfer, a VLC video client and various useful apps e.g pdf reader.

There is a PC-engine emulator for the psp you know (well if yours is homebrew enabled). I for my part am waiting for drac x too, but mainly because of the included SOTN.

Regarding the redesigned psp, it's pretty tempting, but I would never exchange it for my old one, so many cool homebrew software on it right now to toy with, like a VNC client, a FTP server (too lazy to get behind my desktop to plug the usb cable in) for file transfer, a VLC video client and various useful apps e.g pdf reader.

thanks=)

anyways, i have a turbo duo. i've had it for a few years now, and i bought the pc engine drac x back at the beginning of 2005 and got a 100% completion a few months later, but i just got around to selling it. it's the only turbo duo game i ever owned, so i'm back to no games for it.

i've been wanting to buy fatal fury special and art of fighting for it forever now, and i just keep on procrastinating, somewhat b/c i also need an ave pad 6 and an arcade card duo. i do have the hucard converter, so at least the 1st and most expensive step is out of the way.

if sony allowed the homebrew software with newer units, do you think the psp's sales would improve?

i imagine if they did, then sony would might have at least the hardcore market, even though they're never going to the casual market w/ the psp.

I'm just so infuriated about the ds. it's a piece of shit, imo. games on it could be so much better if they were on the psp instead. the lite's screens are an improvement but it still sucks ass, everything, the contrast, viewing angle, color saturation, size and low ass resolution. and 128 MB game size limits, and such a small amount of ram.

i wish everyone would look at the value, rather than the actual price tag. then they'd realise that nintendo just wants to rip everyone off and they'd realise sony is just trying to give everyone a great deal.

Are movies still being released in UMD? Otherwise, does the video out matter that much?

My ideal usage scenario is myself being somewhere other than my home, having a ton of content stored on my PC and/orPS3, and being able to stream it in via remote play onto whatever screen I hook the PSP up to.

I don't own one as yet, but I think I may jump in once this releases.

Back