PS5 Pro *spawn

CUs from RDNA2 have int4 and int8. I'm sure that actual hardware designs are controband for believers.
The MS presentation indicated that the ML acceleration was an optional part of the design they decided to add because it had minimal hardware cost.

Arguably the most significant enhancement to the CUs in RDNA 2 (besides RT) was the huge improvement in clock speeds at a given power level, which the PS5 seems to retain and use to come close the XSX with a far narrower design.

So in practice there is no real difference between PS5's RDNA"2" and XBOXs RDNA2
Yep, well, I suppose as long as it’s the lead console there will never be any practical difference. Why would they paths that don’t work on PS5. It is a luxury to have a code path that doesn’t work on the largest platform. Few engine teams out there have the funding, resourcing and talent to do it.

Yep, well, I suppose as long as it’s the lead console there will never be any practical difference. Why would they paths that don’t work on PS5. It is a luxury to have a code path that doesn’t work on the largest platform. Few engine teams out there have the funding, resourcing and talent to do it.
I dont share this argument at all. So called RDNA2 specialized feature sets so far, appear to be more or less doing whatever RDNA1 (PS5?) does. Just differently and only applicable on very very specific scenarios. You would expect RDNA2 to offer some specialized visual features or improvements across the board in some areas. Like in the case of RT to either look better or have less performance impact due to RDNA2. But they are identical. Series X failed to deliver anything special even in its own exclusive titles or if they did, they dont offer anything meaningfully observable. Devs don't seem to bother. Third party or 1st party. Halo, Starfield, Forza didn't stand out in any way above what PS5 offered.

Sea of Thieves or Hi Fi Rush perform almost 100% identical as their former exclusive counterparts.

Last edited:
I dont share this argument at all. So called RDNA2 specialized feature sets so far, appear to be more or less doing whatever RDNA1 does. Just differently and only applicable on very very specific scenarios. You would expect RDNA2 to offer some specialized visual features or improvements across the board in some areas. Like in the case of RT to either look better or have less performance impact due to RDNA2. But they are identical. Series X failed to deliver anything special even in its own exclusive titles. Devs don't seem to bother.
I’m not just referring to hardware features, optimization is really at the API level. So yes you are right. I’m just inferring that even if the hardware was the same, it would still be heavily optimized in PS5s favour. There are fundamental differences between DX12 and GNM that require different paths for optimizing the same problem for instance.

On to the topic, just because hardware features exist doesn’t mean they will be used and we see a large portion of them be sidestepped.

But you’re looking at the upper tier of studios who are capable of rolling solutions in compute. What about everyone else that can’t ? That’s when these features become more useful to companies. If you can’t roll your own virtual texturing, your own SFS, your own mesh shaders, your own VRS solution, then it’s available as a hardware solution. It’s not ideal, but it’s at least available. Unfortunately, from this aspect, this is the only difference. But most people are hyper focused on the top titles for comparison sake, and people are hyper focused on performance differences between the consoles; no one cares here what developers need to do to get things working.

As for the titles listed, this doesn’t negate what I said above, but don’t think any of the titles you’ve indicated were designed to be next gen only. But I also don’t know or think if they would have used these features.

I guess we have to wait for these next wave of exclusives. Honestly not all that different than we saw on Sony’s side. A lot of releases heavily rooted in last generation technology.

Last edited:
I think the main point about RDNA2ness is if the elements PS5 has that are the same as XB are the same components, rather than that it has the full featureset. If the CUs are the same and everything rendering are the same but it's missing some extras, it's like the same model car from the same year just without the optional upgrades.

I think people need to be clear on what is the same and what is different (and why they care). "RDNA2" clearly isn't well defined enough to answer that for us.

Sort of crazy back in the day the difference between a 486SX100 and a 486DX100. A single letter. But massive performance differentials in some use cases.
I don't think there ever was a 100mhz 486SX part?. Still remember when my brother and I upgraded from a 386/40 to 486DX2/66 and how amazing Doom ran after that :)

Sort of crazy back in the day the difference between a 486SX100 and a 486DX100. A single letter. But massive performance differentials in some use cases.
That was the inclusion of an FPU versus not, equivalent to adding hardware T&L to a GPU. Are the bits missing from PS5's RDNA2 implementation as significant as that? Or do they contribute to all of 5% improvements overall when used effectively?

I'm still lost as to what the argument is for RDNA specification in PS5 and XBS, and what its relevance is to PS5Pro. Was there an argument behind this beyond people just getting tied up with a definition? ;)

That was the inclusion of an FPU versus not, equivalent to adding hardware T&L to a GPU. Are the bits missing from PS5's RDNA2 implementation as significant as that? Or do they contribute to all of 5% improvements overall when used effectively?

I'm still lost as to what the argument is for RDNA specification in PS5 and XBS, and what its relevance is to PS5Pro. Was there an argument behind this beyond people just getting tied up with a definition? ;)
Nah. I’m it’s just funny that back in the day they didn’t really care to really market the difference between SX and DX (all it is, is a letter difference) But it was a world of difference. We don’t see that here, too much emphasis on something that doesn’t matter.

If we are being technical about haves and have noit, yes, I think the arguments are correct. But the output is largely the same provided the developer doesn’t need those features. I know it’s easy to dismiss the features, like tiled resources, as being bad. But you never know, some developers may find this to being a reliable path for them for feature integration.

It is quite early that ZEN 5, ZEN 5C will be available in July. Is there discussion why PS5 Pro still uses ZEN 2? ZEN 5C can have 1.5x performance from ZEN 2 easily.

Last edited:
because you can't have too much difference with the base PS5, as it's not a new gen, it's just here to enhance the graphics, not the rest.
Some PS5 games are already bounded by CPU. Better CPU will achieve more stable frame rate.

Even PS4 Pro has 1.31x CPU performance from PS4. So why can't PS5 Pro use ZEN 5C for better CPU performance?

Some PS5 games are already bounded by CPU. Better CPU will achieve more stable frame rate.

Even PS4 Pro has 1.31x CPU performance from PS4. So why can't PS5 Pro use ZEN 5C for better CPU performance?
Because in 2028 the PS6 will come out, and if it has to be around 2X the power of a PS5 pro, they can't push the upgrade too far. Going from a zen 2 to a zen 7c (?) will probably get them 2x the CPU power at a similar cost and wattage, while going from a zen 5c to zen 7c in 2028 would be a much smaller upgrade.

The PS6 can't just be a PS5 pro pro, even if it will inevitably be so in some aspects. If they are struggling with costs with PS5, what can they do on a PS6 that will have to deliver a upgrade while getting costs under control?

As nice as that'd be, I think it runs the risk of both introducing compatibility issues and increasing costs. Neither to an enormous extent, but both to an unnecessary extent.

I just think of the Pro as being basically like a PC gamer upgrading their GPU.

There's likely to be a 7nm>5nm free clockspeed upgrade though. And that's 15% IIRC so nowt to be sniffed at ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: snc
With the 2TB XSX listed at $599, do we still think the pro is <$600? I guess the chip size might be similar or slightly smaller than the xsx depending on the process used?

Back