PS5 Pro *spawn

Interview with devs making empire of ants. Unreal 5.4.2 game that’s 30fps on PS5 and series consoles that will be 60fps on the ps5 pro.

Some weird comments on the PC comparison there. Based on the demo Empire of Ants is an extremely light game despite being UE5 based. Unless it gets much heavier later on, but I can run it maxed out at a very high DSR resolution (something like 5600x2400 but I can't remember exactly) on a 4070Ti. So you certainly don't need a $2100 - $3500 PC to max it out whatever that even means in this game. I imagine you could easily do that with an $1100 PC.

And since when do high end PC's draw 5x the power of a PS5 Pro? The base PS5 draws around 200w, the Pro will likely be higher. What PC draws 1000w on average?

TSR.. and it's interesting we already have devs foregoing PSSR and instead using that compute for other things.
It’s expected that some will go the extra mile vs others depending on workload I guess? Anyway, another one that’s foregoing pssr …

You must be writing for Netflix documentaries ;)

I've recently been playing Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my lowly 2070 super and while DLSS performance 4k might look a bit sharper than 1440p quality I doubt 90% of the players will notice. Certainly not a tv sitting at normal distances. If you switch back and forth I can kind of notice, but even than its hard to say on is obviously better.

Wouldn't it have been easier and less patronizing for you to just say you have lower expectations in terms of IQ than I do?

Which reinforces the view there's no ML hardware in 5Pro beyond additions to the compute units.
They have already said that it was a timing issue.

Also, even if we don't believe Kepler on the WMMA units, there is no way that it's doing AI upscaling with just 2 milliseconds on frametime with the compute units.

Also, even if we don't believe Kepler on the WMMA units, there is no way that it's doing AI upscaling with just 2 milliseconds on frametime with the compute units.
Why not? DLSS can be performed on a 2060 in a little over 3 ms. The Pro has quite a bit more grunt for computing matrix math.

The proposition here is that there's bespoke HW in the PS5Pro that spends 2 ms of a 16.6666 ms frame upscaling, and then 14.6666 ms the rest of the frame doing absolutely nothing. If there's ML hardware in there, why not make it usable for other things? Yet Cerny only mentioned ML for upscaling. Alternatively, if PSSR is performed on the compute units, those units are busy the rest of the frame rendering etc., but saving 2+ms on rendering a full frame from rendering lower resolution, and then using that 2ms saving to upscale.

That latter sounds more efficient to me.

Last edited:

The tone of that article makes me think they didn't want to say when going for 60hz we couldn't spare the render time budget. If it was purely a time issue why not say we will be adding it post launch? PSSR can't be more complicated to add than dlss/xess/fsr when your already using one of them, modders can do it in a day in the pc space.

The tone of that article makes me think they didn't want to say when going for 60hz we couldn't spare the render time budget. If it was purely a time issue why not say we will be adding it post launch? PSSR can't be more complicated to add than dlss/xess/fsr when your already using one of them, modders can do it in a day in the pc space.
Are you using PSSR in Empire of the Ants?

We don't. It came very late in our development cycle for this game, so we stuck to the
Unreal equivalent.

I'm not seeing much to interpret. Also, TSR is really good, and maybe the PSSR implementation in unreal is still not as they would like it to be.

The proposition here is that there's bespoke HW in the PS5Pro that spends 2 ms of a 16.6666 ms frame upscaling, and then 14.6666 ms the rest of the frame doing absolutely nothing. If there's ML hardware in there, why not make it usable for other things? Yet Cerny only mentioned ML for upscaling. Alternatively, if PSSR is performed on the compute units, those units are busy the rest of the frame rendering etc., but saving 2+ms on rendering a full frame from rendering lower resolution, and then using that 2ms saving to upscale.

That latter sounds more efficient to me.
What would they do with that hardware beside doing ai things? I'm sure that with time and-or future playstation hardware they will add things like ray reconstruction, frame gen and other stuff. But right now they are simply not ready.

Also, we have games like Alan wake 2 that are upscaling to 4k from the same base resolution as the PS5 and adding the settings of the quality mode. If they just used the additional CU's to upscale they wouldn't have the time for the higher settings.

PS5 has like 50 tops (can't find a number), and pro has 300. They added something, whatever it is.

Last edited:
Tensor cores make all the difference for those things.
Shader cores are perfectly capable of matrix math. Tensor cores accelerate the process but there is no reason shader cores can't be enhanced to do the same. Assuming this is the case for the Pro, the only advantage of tensor cores becomes the potential for concurrent workload processing.

Reactions: snc

Memory is the bottleneck. Not compute for NN. Tensor cores are overkill for running models. They would run circles around 5pro for training.

What would they do with that hardware beside doing ai things? I'm sure that with time and-or future playstation hardware they will add things like ray reconstruction, frame gen and other stuff. But right now they are simply not ready.
Why not describe it as such then? Why talk about AI reconstruction in PSSR, but not describe the hardware as having AI acceleration that'll be used for lots of different things. That'd be a huge piece of hardware potential just completely ignored in the promotion. That makes no sense.

They added something, whatever it is.
Iroboto already did the math on that. It's covered via DP4a in the compute units, or whatever.

Back