PS5 Pro *spawn

What I understand from this product is that it was unnecessary. The PS5 needs to get more affordable. There is still a lot of untapped market. And the Pro is less likely to tap enough to it
As someone pointed out this earlier I think it is interesting product. I would be keen to get one, however the price is bit to much for me. For this price I can upgrade my pc and get better value in terms of picture quality and performance. Fully agree that ps5 needs to get more affordable.

What I understand from this product is that it was unnecessary. The PS5 needs to get more affordable. There is still a lot of untapped market. And the Pro is less likely to tap enough to it
I don't think the aim is to expand the market but to cater to PS5 users who are dissatisfied with the low image quality of existing performance modes.

That being said, I remember the days people hammering on me for being a 900p apologist for xbox one.
Oh my, how the times have changed.

resolution != picture quality, as many digital photographers here likely know, but resolution can do a hella good job at cropping down if you need it to.
Not only is less than 1080p not a bLuRrY mEsS anymore, but non-native resolution is no longer lambasted. Even upscaling and frame generation are amenable all the way through to PCMR. The times have changed indeed.:mrgreen:

Will the headlines picking up the low resolution quotes also pickup the quotes that you can't get buy a GPU with the same featureset as PS5Pro yet? That will probably get ignored to not cause hysteria. Yes yes, nvidia. I hear you. I'm just mentioning everything from the DF content instead of just the resolution talk.

eFRi4hF.png
Yes what they shown was likely work in progress, them quickly patching PSSR on the PS5 version. And this team has always favored final results vs resolution.

Shows that many in 2024 didn't get that that resolution war was over will all reconstructions techniques and notably with AI Upscaling. Most games games shown by Sony showed impressive results: 2x the framerate with a better image quality than before. The results are more impressive than what PS4 Pro ever accomplished. But now some are still looking for some data to downplay the achievemets. This is why Cerny was smart to not to talk about numbers.

Also why is the most impressive game, Spider-man 2, not analysed by DF? They added RT shadows in this one if I am not mistaken. And very easy to notice.

Shows that many in 2024 didn't get that that resolution war was over will all reconstructions techniques and notably with AI Upscaling.
Sorry but that still not the case. If we have always minimum internal 1440p with reconstruction on dlss quality level (pssr is not that far) then yes but not if we have internal res below full hd.

Last edited:
Upscaling 1080p to 4K should be fine. PSSR quality seems much better than FSR. Hopefully final versions at least use 1080p before upscale. Should mostly solve major image quality issues. Better to upscale and push fps, but sub 1080p is asking too much.

We should also expect quality to improve over time, no? And would that apply to all games with a system update, rather than requiring each game to update?

Upscaling 1080p to 4K should be fine. PSSR quality seems much better than FSR. Hopefully final versions at least use 1080p before upscale. Should mostly solve major image quality issues. Better to upscale and push fps, but sub 1080p is asking too much.
I agree tough in gt7 going from 4k native to 1188 internal + pssr for rt reflections is also too much, its more like mode developed for ps5pro tech demo

We should also expect quality to improve over time, no? And would that apply to all games with a system update, rather than requiring each game to update?
It will probably be a combination of both I suspect.
You can probably get better results out of PSSR if you had initially designed a game with it in mind.
And Sony can probably improve PSSR algorithm, however since it has to support a wide variety of use cases, we can't expect a linear improvement for all titles.

Drive by noise. It was a mistake by Sony to present 5Pro with PS4 titles. This isn't on DF to sit here and present 5Pro in some form of immaculate manner. If they wanted to wow crowds with the power of 5Pro, they should skipped the PS4 titles.
Also why is the most impressive game, Spider-man 2, not analysed by DF? They added RT shadows in this one if I am not mistaken. And very easy to notice.

You know why.

Back