PS5 Pro *spawn

Wait. I thought the PS5 Pro was supposed to run Quality modes at 60fps by default.

Here we still see 2 modes and with Rachet and Clank it's running the Performance RT mode just at higher res?
How would that be possible when the performance increase is only 45% at best?

What is the intention of the developer other than to have the best possible result on screen?

If the developer chooses lower settings to achieve 60fps it means that the power is not there. Quality mode in R&C has RT and higher settings than in Performance RT, just at 30fps.
Right now, they choose the performance mode settings for higher frame rate stability and higher input res to give to PSSR. If they lowered the input resolution they could probably use the quality settings. Unless it's a CPU limit.

What is the intention of the developer other than to have the best possible result on screen?

If the developer chooses lower settings to achieve 60fps it means that the power is not there. Quality mode in R&C has RT and higher settings than in Performance RT, just at 30fps.
You can always halve the frame time to increase the visual fidelity, no matter the power of the platform. Unless you have infinite power or we're already at real life quality graphics.

Right now, they choose the performance mode settings for higher frame rate stability and higher input res to give to PSSR. If they lowered the input resolution they could probably use the quality settings. Unless it's a CPU limit.
If I recall in the presentation they were comparing PS5's version of Quality mode at 30fps vs PS5 Pro's version at 60fps

It looks a bit misleading now

That's the impression they gave at the presentation. Quality modes now at 60fps
The Impression I got was that they will use PSSR to make performance modes look closer to quality and maybe you will get some marginal improvement to settings on top of that.

Every PS5 Pro should be using PSSR by default if it offers acceptable image quality.

If a PS5 game is native 4k and can hit 40-50fps, and PSSR can match the IQ with a 1440p or lower input, why not drop the resolution and crank up the frame rate and eye candy?

If consoles had released with DLSS, do you really think there would be many games over 1080p input?

It just seems like a no brainer to me, why waste time rendering more pixels when you can render them smarter.

The Impression I got was that they will use PSSR to make performance modes look closer to quality and maybe you will get some marginal improvement to settings on top of that.
Yeah the messaging is problematic in this case. Initially we were expecting to get all the blows and wistles of Quality mode at higher framerates.

You would have expected to lower the internal resolution of PS5's Vanilla Quality mode to achieve the framerate and use PSSR reconstruction to achieve 4K. That sounds like a better solution.

But using the performance modes of PS5 to upscale to 4K doesn't look like a good upgrade from vanilla to Pro. Some visual sacrifices from Quality than can be even more noticeable in Performance mode will still be staring at our face.

It is even more misleading when in the video of R&C they were comparing the PS5 quality mode with PS5 Pro and not the Performance RT of PS5 to PS5 Pro.

They showed the same think with TLOUS2. 30fps Quality vs 60fps PS5 Pro mode

You would have expected to lower the internal resolution of PS5's Vanilla Quality mode to achieve the framerate and use PSSR reconstruction to achieve 4K. That sounds like a better solution.
If the Quality mode is at native 4K, and isn't CPU limited, then that should be achievable. But if the Quality mode is at 1440p or below, then the internal resolution before upscaling will have to go below 1080p, and the image quality will likely suffer. And for the RT titles, the CPU being the same limits what can be achieved at 60 FPS.

But as far as we know, it's up to developers to decide how to use the extra power.

If the Quality mode is at native 4K, and isn't CPU limited, then that should be achievable. But if the Quality mode is at 1440p or below, then the internal resolution before upscaling will have to go below 1080p, and the image quality will likely suffer. And for the RT titles, the CPU being the same limits what can be achieved at 60 FPS.

But as far as we know, it's up to developers to decide how to use the extra power.
R&C specifically in fidelity mode is 1800p-2160p

I'm not sure if people have ever looked at reviews for the 7800XT (60CU's), but here's one just to add some data as to performance.

7800 XT Review

And remember that PS5 Pro's GPU is clocked lower, has less bandwidth and doesn't have the 64MB L3 cache the 7800XT has.

In terms of Tflops, PS5 Pro's GPU is closer to the 7700XT which a review can be seen here.
Right, but if i remember correctly from DF vids often limiting factor for many modern games was a CPU performance which PS5pro do not solve in meaningfull way.

Back