PS5 Pro *spawn

So the PS5 Pro is using a precursor to AMD's Tensor core equivalent? Pretty exciting to see what AMD has in-store for us.

The last time we got a major graphics feature on consoles before PCs was Unified Shaders on the 360 no?
I think it’s still too early to rule out the possibility of new extensions for PSSR to run on the existing shader core.

Sony didn't "motivated" AMD to create RDNA4 RT Unity/Capabilities, like Cerny himself says in that interview AMD itself wanted and it's engineers delivered. Sony only made an order from AMD Semi-Custom to put those RT unities on an older than RDNA4 GPU Arch. The PS5 Pro SOC wouldn't exist if Sony hadn't ordered that SOC for their PS5 Pro, but RDNA4 RT Unity would still exist with all it's capabilities regardless.
My gripe is that WCCF articles gives people the impression that Sony and Cerny deserve any credit for AMD's work, like if AMD needed Sony just to run their business.
I think its a gross simplification. Sony and MS provide data on how these processors are used, as well they have hw engineers who work alongside AMD on how to architect these accelerators. Its not some marketing guys at Sony telling AMD to create a "semi-custom" AMD APU. Its a process of cooperation where both sides benefit and share data and designs on whats possible. Thats why you saw RDNA 2 being classified differently between Sony and MS. There were some missing RDNA 2 features on the base PS5 because in large part Sony didnt find them useful and MS had played a larger role in their development. AMD's relationship to a client like MS and Sony is a relationship with a technical client that influences the architecture of their processors.

Now what did he meant by "motivated" is another story and open to discussion. Like: can you give us something similar to Nvidia accelerated RT? Like this feature, that feature? I dunno.
Maybe Cerny just smiled at the AMD lead technician for 10 minutes and then pointed towards an envelope which had been sitting on the table all this time. The AMD lead would find a picture of his wife and kids in the envelope and at the back it said the address, both of the home as well as the kids school. After which Cerny said “.. I really need those RT cores ready before November” with his usual soft slightly creepy voice, still having his default smile

By looking at the supplied average across their entire benchmark suite that they supply for you right there on the page.
Even if that were true. Imagine this

Nvidia 6000 vs 7000, same clock speeds.
Nvidia 7000 performs at half the frame rate.
Nvidia 7000 is a massive architectural decline right? As 6000 has double the frame rate at compared to the 7000.

Now hypothetically 7000 only uses 1/10th of the energy and thus it can run at 5 times the clock speed of 6000 series, resulting in frame rates that are 2-3 times higher, at the same power draw. Nobody would say the 7000 series has worse performance compared to 6000.

Same way that your single digit percentages are not only nowhere on that page, even if they were then they’d still be meaningless

Btw whats te purpose of this stand ? ;d I have my ps5 vertical without stand
Pointless aesthetics. I recommend for purposes of longevity though to NOT use your PS5's in vertical positions.

Even though the CPU is tightly sealed and the liquid metal should always be spread evenly, a friend of mine who has a repair shop receives PS5's to fix with uneven liquid metal spread. Due to occasions of high heat the contraction and expansion of the CPU seal, the slightest difference, may actually start shifting the liquid metal on the lower side of the CPU. It may also being a case of bad luck too. But he recommends to be on the safe side to keep the console horizontal and make sure dust doesn't get collect inside the console

So the PS5 Pro is using a precursor to AMD's Tensor core equivalent? Pretty exciting to see what AMD has in-store for us.

The last time we got a major graphics feature on consoles before PCs was Unified Shaders on the 360 no?

If I remember correctly ps5 and xsx were before rdna2 desktop, also ps4pro has 16bit double rate before amd desktop gpu, thats common in history, not sure why surprise here

PS4 was also a higher iteration of GCN than available on the PC at time of launch if I recall correctly.

As noted it's pretty much the norm for consoles to feature some aspects of newer PC architectures when they launch.

Although in this case tensor cores have been available on the PC since the PS4 generation... just not from AMD.

Not quite.
AMD actually has a tensor core equivalent on their MI instinct line. I think it’s called Matrix something. edit: Matrix Cores
Tensor cores are large, and designed specifically for deep learning training, and that’s overkill for a console

So the other two remaining options is XDNA which is a low powered IOT based Xilinx silicon designed to run AI models efficiently with little silicon and little power use. Those
are in the strix processors today. Perhaps they have a custom larger variant of this in 5pro.

Secondly, if not this, then the only remaining way is to this via the compute engines, and with some creative math you can get to 300TOPS, an alternative is that they customized something in the GPU to support sparse formats which well that would get you to 300. But you’re sacrificing your GPU rendering time to do it, as opposed to running in parallel so I’m not really sure that makes sense.

Last edited:
Secondly, if not this, then the only remaining way is to this via the compute engines,
however, that clashes with Mark Cerny's choice of words: "Custom hardware for machine learning". The hardware must be designed for the task. Custom could mean proprietary or part of AMD's silicon customisation service where a client chooses the functional units available. PS5's Tempest audio is a customised RDNA CU, so I guess halfway between. A Sony customised CU is therefore not off the cards if that makes sense.

Pointless aesthetics. I recommend for purposes of longevity though to NOT use your PS5's in vertical positions.

Even though the CPU is tightly sealed and the liquid metal should always be spread evenly, a friend of mine who has a repair shop receives PS5's to fix with uneven liquid metal spread. Due to occasions of high heat the contraction and expansion of the CPU seal, the slightest difference, may actually start shifting the liquid metal on the lower side of the CPU. It may also being a case of bad luck too. But he recommends to be on the safe side to keep the console horizontal and make sure dust didnt get inside
Yes it always seemed obvious to me, from day one, that there are legitimate risks of leakage when set vertically because of gravity. They did the mushy protection around the chip for a good reason.
Not quite.
AMD actually has a tensor core equivalent on their MI instinct line. I think it’s called Matrix something.
Tensor cores are large, and designed specifically for deep learning training, and that’s overkill for a console

So the other two remaining options is XDNA which is a low powered IOT based Xilinx silicon designed to run AI models efficiently with little silicon and little power use. Those
are in the strix processors today. Perhaps they have a custom larger variant of this in 5pro.

Secondly, if not this, then the only remaining way is to this via the compute engines, and with some creative math you can get to 300TOPS, an alternative is that they customized something in the GPU to support sparse formats which well that would get you to 300. But you’re sacrificing your GPU rendering time to do it, as opposed to running in parallel so I’m not really sure that makes sense.
RDNA3 already has WMMA albeit with a limited set of features.

We know from commits RDNA4 is getting plenty of structural AI improvements and new features / instructions like Sparse WMMA and INT8 support.

I think its a gross simplification. Sony and MS provide data on how these processors are used, as well they have hw engineers who work alongside AMD on how to architect these accelerators. Its not some marketing guys at Sony telling AMD to create a "semi-custom" AMD APU. Its a process of cooperation where both sides benefit and share data and designs on whats possible. Thats why you saw RDNA 2 being classified differently between Sony and MS. There were some missing RDNA 2 features on the base PS5 because in large part Sony didnt find them useful and MS had played a larger role in their development. AMD's relationship to a client like MS and Sony is a relationship with a technical client that influences the architecture of their processors.

Yes, I believe Sony and Microsoft feedback is important to AMD, but WCCF phrasing is still wrong.

I think some people need to understand that these architectures aren't made in 6 months.

They take years and likely already have there feature set and logic nailed down before Sony and Microsoft can give them any useable guidance.

AMD would likely gain more from seeing how Nvidia's architecture is performing across various games than what they will get from Sony and Microsoft.

Assasins creed shadow 864p internal, 864p internal 60fps Alan Wake, 1188p gt7 with rt (was 4k native on base), lou2 1440p internal. Not very promising tough nice that 1440p pssr can look better than 4k native.

Last edited:
@snc I feel like the real winner of ps5 pro is the ai upscaling, if the quality is significantly better than fsr. Alan Wake 2 could probably run at 1080p with some ray tracing and get upscaled to 4k nicely to hit stable 60 fps. Instead of this weird 864p resolved to 1440p and then upscaled again to 4k.

Alan Wake 2 does have that huge post processing hit to performance, which is done post upscale. But maybe the ai upscale will allow them to do post processing pre upscale with reasonable quality.

Is this true?
I don't think anyone knows as the PSSR algorithm hasn't been shared. The paper (patent?) we saw talked of filling holes, that's true, But where do those holes come from? Moving pixels aside leaving gaps between them? Or rendering sporadic pixels in a surface but keeping the edges?

How do you render the edges efficiently without rendering the full triangles?

@snc I feel like the real winner of ps5 pro is the ai upscaling, if the quality is significantly better than fsr.
pssr looks quite good but let be honest, you wont have good reprojection from 864p. Remember when xss was supposed to be 1440p console and now we are with ps5pro and 864p internal, ps5/xsx absolulty worst generation ever :D

however, that clashes with Mark Cerny's choice of words: "Custom hardware for machine learning". The hardware must be designed for the task. Custom could mean proprietary or part of AMD's silicon customisation service where a client chooses the functional units available. PS5's Tempest audio is a customised RDNA CU, so I guess halfway between. A Sony customised CU is therefore not off the cards if that makes sense.
Yea it can still be custom and still leverage compute units for it. I just don’t feel like it’s likely.

Xdna Seems like a reasonable fit. But if it’s compute units doing the work, that bodes well for series x

Assasins creed shadow 864p internal, 864p internal 60fps Alan Wake, 1188p gt7 with rt (was 4k native on base), lou2 1440p internal. Not very promising tough nice that 1440p pssr can look better than 4k native.
MLD leak is much mote in line of 45% gpu boost

Yea it can still be custom and still leverage compute units for it. I just don’t feel like it’s likely.

Xdna Seems like a reasonable fit. But if it’s compute units doing the work, that bodes well for series x
You think optimizations for 5Pro will benefit Series X even tho it has significantly less TOPs?

Back