PS5 Pro *spawn

I will laugh a little inside if they launch with a disc option for $750, meaning all these speculators buying up drives will have overpaid for their drives.
They have to. I see very little choice. You can’t have a bunch of people stuck with expensive consoles they can’t use because of scalpers. Mass producing drives I don’t think is the answer.

Such a weird choice to keep the price down.

No, the behavior is the same on AMD GPUs, it's just that on PC the RT reflections are of higher quality, involves higher number of objects and covers far more distance.
No, if you've actually profiled the game like the Valve developers did then you'd find out CPU hot paths to be updating the resource descriptors but this is found to be far less impactful on AMD HW because they implement a hidden fast path for those API functions while Nvidia recommends developers to "prevent excessive creation or copying of descriptors" which is consistent with the observations ...

I think they have proven they don't have to do anything. They just announced a $700+ console when they already have the most expensive console in most territories and are winning in console sales in those territories. And they've only released 4 first party PS5 exclusives in the last 2 years.

Good point. Sony has clearly won this generation already so the Pro is just icing at this point. It’s a play to extract a bit more revenue from folks who are willing to upgrade.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the street price 6 months from launch to be 150€ lower. Even up to 200€.

Makes me remember that I bought my PS4 pro in like 2018 on Amazon for 300€. 300€.
Yes if they can manufacture more of them they will be able to lower the price. I think its telling they didnt even release a 1TB model. Seems they really want consumers to buy at $699 in the short term at least. Because if they had released a $599 1TB model it would have sold more but they know they buy the storage at very low prices and they want to hit a $699 so they decided to just do 2TB and get higher margins. We'll see how well it sells. You're right it could get price cuts.

Major leak about the PS5 pro from Moore's law is dead. If the PS5 pro is hitting 4K 60 dynamic with no optimization nor using PSSR then thats going to be very interesting. And all this at fully max settings!! Seems the Sony engineers did a lot of work upgrading the SDK for PS5 and the developer libraries because developers are finding it easy to get extra performance out of the machine without much if any changes on their end. Also PSSR has already received a major software update. If Rockstar games fully utilizes PSSR then PS5 pro its going to be a game changer.

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 1.44.54 AM.png

Fair, but then go into a technical discussion why. Which aspects seem implausible? (not defending it as true or anything - trying to keep the thread as technical talk, always)
More than double the performance without either RT or PSSR into the picture (when Cerny said not even half more). And why would they run and bench their game without PSSR? From what we saw all games will use it and Sony even want to use it on PS4 games with a supposedly simple patch. But no this developer (this month, not last year) doesn't use PSSR or show footage of PSSR to MLID.

Well this "developer" didn't send footage of their game running with PSSR because they don't have any game on their PC running with PSSR because it's a hoax.

Last edited:
It's just an early test, building the game as is without doing any coding work?
Exactly!! Thats what was said in the video as well.

More than double the performance without either RT or PSSR into the picture (when Cerny said not even half more). And why would they run and bench their game without PSSR? From what we saw all games will use it and Sony even want to use it on PS4 games with a supposedly simple patch. But no this developer (this month, not last year) doesn't use PSSR or show footage of PSSR to MLID.

Well this "developer" didn't send footage of their game running with PSSR because they don't have any game on their PC running with PSSR because it's a hoax.
Yeah seems plausible to me for an early test considering the game runs at above 40 fps on the base PS5 it can definitely run at 60 fps on the PS5 pro. Of course the max settings is what got my attention, but I think its plausible considering the more powerful GPU and higher mem bandwidth at play. PS5 pro leaks from Moore's law is dead have been pretty spot on to the point Sony had to get some of his stuff removed from youtube. He definitely has a source with access to a devkit. I tried arguing with him several months back about the PS5 pro CPU and he told me straight up he was 100% certain it was going to have the same Zen 2 CPU as the base PS5 but clocked higher. It didnt make sense to me at the time because upgrading the CPU had little cost upsides but some benefits especially when paired with a more powerful GPU. But he was 100% certain and has been vindicated.

After others already had on Twitter.

This guy spent months claiming PS5's GPU had infinite cache and swore his sources were solid.
Yeah he was wrong on that. As well he was spot on with the PS5 pro. The guy who told him the infinite cache stuff was redgamingtech lmao, that was his source iirc. Moore's law is dead was still new the game back then, I dont blame him but now he's gotten more serious contacts.

Of course the max settings is what got my attention, but I think its plausible considering the more powerful GPU and higher mem bandwidth at play.
We also don't know what game it is, what even type of game it is, and what 'max settings' even means.

I can't see any obvious means by which Pro could increase res and framerate. Perhaps the PS5 was hitting higher res on average, so nearer 1600p, whereas perhaps the PS5 Pro ran on the lower res on average, 1800p, and so getting only a marginal res increase but a notable framerate increase? Or maybe the GPU arch is that bit better that the "up to 45%" faster metric is a conservative paper metric, or 'observed in benchmarks' metric, and not an 'attained in real games metric'? If you are compute bound then 67% more compute units is going to offer a >45% performance improvement, and if these are RDNA 3/4 something you'll have performance improvement per FLOP.

Or maybe it's all made up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
We also don't know what game it is, what even type of game it is, and what 'max settings' even means.

I can't see any obvious means by which Pro could increase res and framerate. Perhaps the PS5 was hitting higher res on average, so nearer 1600p, whereas perhaps the PS5 ran on the lower res on average, 1800p, and so getting only a marginal res increase but a notable framerate increase? Or maybe the GPU arch is that bit better that the "up to 45%" faster metric is a conservative paper metric, or 'observed in benchmarks' metric, and not an 'attained in real games metric'? If you are compute bound then 67% more compute units is going to offer a >45% performance improvement, and if these are RDNA 3/4 something you'll have performance improvement per FLOP.

Or maybe it's all made up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes thats worth considering because the game may not be very demanding in any case considering it runs between 40-60 fps on base PS5 with dynamic res!!
if true why wouldn't they say that in the video presentation, would make the price tag a little less painful.
Press X to doubt.
Honestly that presentation lacked a lot of technical details. I wish they had shown us the die instead of just fancy graphics. We needed a second road to PS5 type video. I'm looking forward to others doing more of a deep dive or Cerny giving more details. I think DF will do it more justice. As well if you consider what Rich from DF has been saying, it seems the PS5 pro GPU and the accelerators for RT and AI upscaling are pretty good. I suspect he knows more than he's letting on for now.

Back