PS5 Pro *spawn

The reason here though was less the console CPU punching above it's weight, and more it simply having less work to do. i.e. on PC the CPU is also handling real time BVH updates which can be streamed from disk on a console as well as texture decompression which takes place on the consoles hardware decoder.

The 2700x in Spiderman tank in performance when comparing RT on Vs off.

And that was at detail settings equal to PS5.

But consoles benefit from pre-computed BVH's that reduce CPU overhead too.

They actually included a short footage of Hogwarts Legacy with RT reflections running at 60fps that seems to be running at a much lower resolution than the 30fps footage. I'd guess it's very very roughly 1440p 60fps vs 4K 30fps.

I was expecting they would put 2 modes on PS5 Pro with different resolutions and framerate but both with RT, the way Insomniac do it in their games and that if the game can already run at (stable) 60fps on PS5 there were no reasons it couldn't run at 60fps with RT ON on the latest Playstation. Because this is what PS5 Pro was designed to do.

On Youtube you can advance one frame at a time with the ';' key and easily see if it's 30fps or 60fps.

The reason here though was less the console CPU punching above it's weight, and more it simply having less work to do. i.e. on PC the CPU is also handling real time BVH updates which can be streamed from disk on a console as well as texture decompression which takes place on the consoles hardware decoder.
I think it's more attributed to the game hitting a slow path on Nvidia's HW binding model. BVH management in DXR is black boxed process (driver implementation free to choose between CPU or GPU) and the recent Marvel Spiderman games have last generation geometric asset quality so I don't see how BVH management would be the crank in performance. On GNM/AGC, you have the concept of "shader resource tables" which feature the capability to update resource binding on the GPU timeline too! On Nvidia HW, the CPU needs to update the resource bindings that are mapped onto a descriptor heap so when enabling RT, you have to update 10x as many resource bindings as opposed to not having RT ...

I was expecting they would put 2 modes on PS5 Pro with different resolutions and framerate but both with RT, the way Insomniac do it in their games and that if the game can already run at (stable) 60fps on PS5 there were no reasons it couldn't run at 60fps with RT ON on the latest Playstation. Because this is what PS5 Pro was designed to do.
Cpu can be a reason

So there is no dedicated AI block in this at all? It's like XeSS on none intel hardware?

Has there been any info on exactly what the RT improvements actually are? I've seen people saying it will perform in RT like a 4070 but this doesn't help much either, do they mean light RT loads where AMD does ok or do they mean what a 4070 can do with heavy RT loads like something like cyberpunk pathtracing including features like shader execution reordering.
Yeah it wasnt a proper technical dive like the road to PS5 unfortunately.

If we consider that the PS5 PRO is being sold at a profit, then a PS6 base at 600$ makes sense (with multiple tiers at higher and lower prices).

Taking in to consideration third parties, they have a responsibility to offer them a install base that's big enough to sustain them. And a 700$ PS6 would get the casuals to take their phone out of their pockets and to play watherver slop that is in there.
At $699 for a digital console with the same CPU as the PS5, 2TB of SSD which they buy in the millions and 16GB of unified ram with basically the same housing as the base PS5 slim, its super profit.

Cpu can be a reason
Not with dramatically improved accelerated RT (up to 3x faster than PS5). The small CPU boost should be enough to accomodate for more CPU processing, if there is any. I don't think the CPU is impacted a lot on PS5 APIs with RT reflections judging by how well Spiderman runs anyways.

At $699 for a digital console with the same CPU as the PS5, 2TB of SSD which they buy in the millions and 16GB of unified ram with basically the same housing as the base PS5 slim, its super profit.
Wouldn't surprise me to see the street price 6 months from launch to be 150€ lower. Even up to 200€.

Makes me remember that I bought my PS4 pro in like 2018 on Amazon for 300€. 300€.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the street price 6 months from launch to be 150€ lower. Even up to 200€.
If you mean the secondary market, maybe. But I think the retail price point is largely fixed at this point. I think Sony would rather include an optical drive or more storage than they would lower the price.

If you mean the secondary market, maybe. But I think the retail price point is largely fixed at this point. I think Sony would rather include an optical drive or more storage than they would lower the price.
Edit: ehh misunderstood the message 🫠
I'll keep the example in the message.
The PS5 digital for example on amazon.it is 399€, while officially it's 449€

Last edited:
Cpu can be a reason
yup the GPU is top notch, the CPU remains into Zen 2 territory which might be okay for raster in most games but for RT...

Talking of GPUs, the closest equivalent aren't the desktop GPUs but the mobile GPUs 'cos of power consumption constrictions, the PS5 Pro GPU is more or less like a RX 7800M.

The 2700x in Spiderman tank in performance when comparing RT on Vs off.

And that was at detail settings equal to PS5.

But consoles benefit from pre-computed BVH's that reduce CPU overhead too.
Offline BVH helps GPU performance - bvh is constructed on GPU in DX for static and moving objects. Offline BVH helps consoles by streaming in BVH for static objects

On consoles and PC the objects *in the BVH though* need to be updated and mainted by CPU. They are draws after all.

CPU Performance differences in spider man are primarily from other things.

I think it was a very big mistake to not include the disk drive. Their niche people that are willing to pay for 5pro, early adopters etc, will want to play their games but; alas no disk drive to do so.

you have to buy the external drive add-on which is much cheaper $70 and therefore much easier to scalp by scalpers. This disk drive is absolutely sold out everywhere LOL.

Now you have this expensive console that is held hostage by a disk drive! And you cannot play without it! Unless you want to rebuy your library.

So stupid!! They learned nothing from the covid times!

edit: grammar

Last edited:
you have to buy the external drive add-on which is much cheaper $70 and therefore much easier to scalp by scalpers. This disk drive is absolutely sold out everywhere LOL.
I will laugh a little inside if they launch with a disc option for $750, meaning all these speculators buying up drives will have overpaid for their drives.

Back