PS4 proves that Sony should cut 1st party production

True or false - PS4 proves the OPs argument

• True. Sony could axe 1st party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • False. Sony need 1st party

Votes: 53 100.0%

• Total voters
This thread is completely ridiculous OP. Why did MS have to go out and buy TR limited exclusivity?

Because they didn't have a first party studio that could make a game like Uncharted. They said so themselves.

It saves Sony money in the long run to invest in their own properties instead of doing deals with third parties that won't even stay permanent and are in flux constantly

Honest question, are there numbers out there to show this to be true? Because in this day and age a game can sell 4 million copies and still not be profitable. Plus companies tend to hide non profitable stuff among their profitable items in their balance sheets to make things look rosier than they really are. Personally I had heard the opposite, that most of their 1st party games actually lost money but were considered a necessary evil, just part of doing business in the console space as the old argument goes. But if there are numbers that show the opposite I'd be curious to see them. Incidentally the argument of discarding 1st parties has come up many times in the past, it's not cut and dry anymore that they are all worth keeping. Someone like ND serves dual purpose as both custom content and tech support so they make sense, but beyond that the financial drag (and risk) of many of these studios is quite severe.

There are numbers that would strongly indicate the success of lack of success of certain titles.

There are a few titles I can think of off the top of my head which may not have broken even, depending on their budgets.

Motorstorm Apocalypse sold ~500,000 copies worldwide
Starhawk sold ~250,000 copies worldwide
Puppeteer sold ~200,000 copies worldwide

Of Sony games these are rare, but it's possibly these games failed to make a profit for SCEWWS, or only made a slight profit. We would have to know the costs and then it would be another stretch to find out how much revenue was generated per sale.

Games like Last of Us and Uncharted series and Killzone series obviously sell a bit more than that, including DLC for those titles.

How did it hurt them or hurts them now? Especially now.. the fact is Sony 1st party is not doing its job to sell boxes as well but is costing much more to maintain.

MS first party is much better managed than Sony. The average title reviews better, sells better and sells the platform. This was true also on Xbox 360 vs PS3. Its just much better operation

And yes reviews matter A TON for sales these days

The people who are managing Sony 1st party mostly dont understand the importance of substance over fluff. Greenlighting titles like 1886 is insane if its not doing something better in gameplay than Gears of War. And it obviously isnt
Yeah we all figured this is what the thread was about...

There are numbers that would strongly indicate the success of lack of success of certain titles.

There are a few titles I can think of off the top of my head which may not have broken even, depending on their budgets.

Of Sony games these are rare, but it's possibly these games failed to make a profit for SCEWWS, or only made a slight profit. We would have to know the costs and then it would be another stretch to find out how much revenue was generated per sale.

Games like Last of Us and Uncharted series and Killzone series obviously sell a bit more than that, including DLC for those titles.

Besides, using Motorstorm Apocalypse as argument against the profitability of 1st party development is just stupid. That game was pretty much a victim of catastrophic events way outside anyone's control.

One thing you're missing, though, is that in the case of its first-party studios the platform holder needs to fully fund the operations of the studio not just during active development of each individual title, but during the ramp-up period and post-release period. Keeping these studios in operation is a continual expense and the total profitability of a studio is not completely accounted for by the (revenue - development cost) of it's individual titles.

How did it hurt them or hurts them now?

Two straight lackluster E3s at the end of the previously gen hurt their momentum heading into this gen.

Especially now.. the fact is Sony 1st party is not doing its job to sell boxes as well but is costing much more to maintain.

Minus extensive market research, this is completely unsupportable. You're just guessing here.

MS first party is much better managed than Sony. The average title reviews better, sells better and sells the platform. This was true also on Xbox 360 vs PS3. Its just much better operation

Debatable.

Besides, using Motorstorm Apocalypse as argument against the profitability of 1st party development is just stupid. That game was pretty much a victim of catastrophic events way outside anyone's control.

I just pointed it out as an example, I would not argue in any sense that Sony should abandon first party. They shouldn't. The benefits that they have given PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 are in spades. Possibly immeasurable, but definitely tangible.

Literally, the earthquakes in Japan at the time, yes, that was very bad. Also the release time in respect to other games did not work out very well at all iirc.

But again I am just putting all the examples I can think of for the sake of completion and disclosure.

Unlike what certain other posters are interested in.

One thing you're missing, though, is that in the case of its first-party studios the platform holder needs to fully fund the operations of the studio not just during active development of each individual title, but during the ramp-up period and post-release period. Keeping these studios in operation is a continual expense and the total profitability of a studio is not completely accounted for by the (revenue - development cost) of it's individual titles.

I agree. I was considering that in terms of development costs. Any expenses could be considered there.

Your twisting the knife expecting it, not Sony ;)

It'll either never come or come when it's ready, and it's going to be one of those where they announce it and have it available for purchase at the same time I would wager.

That would be some kind of "megaton" at any event (although I predict TGS next year)

They certainly need to drop the studio that made drive club. I've been following reviews on it and it seems awful . It was supposed to be a launch title and now its a year later and it launches and there is no custom tuning for cars and no weather. A year after everyone made fun of the lack of weather on forza.

At least MS has pumped out 2 forza games in the time frame.

They certainly need to drop the studio that made drive club. I've been following reviews on it and it seems awful.
Awful in the same way Ryse is. Some people hate it, some people like it. A lot seems to depend on what they were expecting, and those looking for a GT stand in being disappointed. We also know the weather is coming as it's been shown repeatedly.

The value of Evolution Studios will be determined from sales - if it sells enough, it was worth it. Sony have thrown more money away at Team ICO.

I don't think it's fair to compare a brand new "arcade" franchise to a flagship 5th sequel "sim".

New = Risk.
Sequel = Safe.

But if they make only sequels of successful franchises, of a successful genre, it means short term profits and long term death.

A new motorstorm would make a lot more money, I'm glad they decided to try a new franchise instead. Yoshida said the big hits are paying for all the other games that don't make money.

I don't think it's fair to compare a brand new "arcade" franchise to a flagship 5th sequel "sim".

New = Risk.
Sequel = Safe.

But if they make only sequels of successful franchises, of a successful genre, it means short term profits and long term death.

A new motorstorm would make a lot more money, I'm glad they decided to try a new franchise instead. Yoshida said the big hits are paying for all the other games that don't make money.

I rather have a new motorstorm. Whats the point? I am not sure why they didn't just use PD to make a "GT Horizon".

Awful in the same way Ryse is. Some people hate it, some people like it. A lot seems to depend on what they were expecting, and those looking for a GT stand in being disappointed. We also know the weather is coming as it's been shown repeatedly.

The value of Evolution Studios will be determined from sales - if it sells enough, it was worth it. Sony have thrown more money away at Team ICO.

I don't know. I've listened to multiple podcasts that say the same thing its a barebones game with little content and unlike Ryse it was delayed a year.

Seems a poor showing for such a title.

That is why I suggest they dump the dev company

And unlike Ryse, DriveClub managed to get 35/52 positive scores, vs Ryse' 8/77 on Metacritic.

I also feel that reviewers are starting to be more critical and have adjusted their scoring (probably because a lot of them were criticized for giving 9+ scores to every decent game). Example: any Call of Duty last gen would have scored 85+, but Ghosts currently sits at 78. And I personally think Ghosts is better than many of the previous games. 70-75 is the new ~80.

As Shifty said, if sales are decent, then it was worth it. Even if sales are sub-par, that doesn't justify getting rid of Evolution after 1 game that got mixed reviews. They were given a tough task of releasing a racing game at launch, a different kind of racing game that they're used to making, hence the delay. Sure T10 released F5 at launch, but it scored 11 points lower than the next lowest mainline Forza title (79 vs 90). It was basically Forza 4 FullHD with less content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except DriveClub isn't free, so I don't get your point.

Even though Ryse was a launch title, it was probably worked on longer than DriveClub. Wasn't it originally planned to be an X360 game?

Back