PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have gone from actual rumored 4.2Tflops from sources to some people speculating possible 5.5Tflops?.. even if Sony upped the clocks to 1GHz it would be 4.6Tflops. Not to mention why even bother pairing a > 5Tflop GPU with a relatively weak cpu and slower memory and sacrifice cooling/size?

And furthermore Microsoft had to wait an extra year to get an just to get an extra .5 Tflops on their semi custom design? They already said they tried release a "4K box" this year and decide to wait to get a more powerful one.

I could be completely wrong but these speculations sound like desperate optimism that wouldn't even exist if Microsoft didn't have that 6Tflop number out there

Its just fanboy wishes.

We can do the same with MS , Oh MS heard that Sony went from 4.2tflops to 5.5tflops so now they are going with big vega and 32 gigs of HBM 2 ram and so on. But if it is launching this year the chips have to start rolling off the line now.

I could be completely wrong but these speculations sound like desperate optimism that wouldn't even exist if Microsoft didn't have that 6Tflop number out there

Of course the speculation wouldn't be so specific if a target of 6Tflops wasn't put out there. And while some idiots on both sides of this "war" are making ridiculous claims, the speculation of how one company might achieve a goal is interesting for most of us.

If we take out some of the economic restraints, what's possible? That's interesting. Is it possible Sony is thinking long term and willing to build an expensive box that becomes affordable next year? They don't need to sell many Neo this year since they already have a PS4. Will the tech be available?

Interesting thoughts if you ask me. Realistic? Maybe not, but that's what the discussion is about.

Its just fanboy wishes.

We can do the same with MS , Oh MS heard that Sony went from 4.2tflops to 5.5tflops so now they are going with big vega and 32 gigs of HBM 2 ram and so on. But if it is launching this year the chips have to start rolling off the line now.

From retail side no indication of a release this year. For the moment Sony retail people tells to retailer PS4 NEO will be released next year, imo probably March or April...

And I don't believe the NeoGAF rumor it is just fanboy wishes...

My doubt comes from Jim Ryan interview and rumor about RX480... I find PS4 Neo choice to be a super slim* a bit weirdo...

First thing wait the reality about the RX480...

Well I think the roles are simply reversed. When Microsoft was trying to defend the weaker Xbox One against PS4 the message was "not about specs/resolution it's about games"....now that Sony is in that position I suspect specs will not be overly emphasized with neo and it will be about the games. And in fairness it is the right message.

The only downside to the "it's not about specs/resolution it's about games" argument is it goes out the window when a lot of the big games now days are third party titles that are available on both platforms. So literally the difference maker between consoles these days is the performance of third party games.

Like Scorpio?
He means Scorpio like performance with a q4 2016/q1 2017 release date.

There's an interesting book "Console Wars" which took 5 years of exhaustive research to write. It touches on many things including industrial espionage in the 80s and 90s between Sega and Nintendo in the videogame industry (which Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg are pushing to greenlight it into a movie). I wonder how much industrial espionage plays into how the current top dogs in the games industry move, react and balance their actions based on their competition?

4481-thumb-300x200.jpg

Last edited:
Well I think the roles are simply reversed. When Microsoft was trying to defend the weaker Xbox One against PS4 the message was "not about specs/resolution it's about games"....now that Sony is in that position I suspect specs will not be overly emphasized with neo and it will be about the games. And in fairness it is the right message.

The only downside to the "it's not about specs/resolution it's about games" argument is it goes out the window when a lot of the big games now days are third party titles that are available on both platforms. So literally the difference maker between consoles these days is the performance of third party games.

Jim Ryan don't talk about game. He just laughed when the french journalist try to insist about a difference of 2 Tflops between the NEO and the Scorpio and the guy try to say something after this and Jim Ryan just laughed... And he said we can compare the specification of the two consoles when we will release final specification and he tells to the journalist we can do an interview again after this... He never said the NEO will be as or more powerful as Scopio but that the rumored 2 Tflops made him laughed like it is just stupid...

If a RX480 at 5,8 Gflop/s is ~110 watts. I find the 4.2 Tflops of the PS4 NEO very strange. It means the PS4 NEO will drain less power than the PS4... And not a little less... Like a super slim...

Last edited:
A super slim box might be more appealing than a more powerful chunky box if the visual differences aren't significant and the Neo has market moment off the back of PS4. I'd be more interested in a super-slim, super cool, super quiet 4TF current-Gen-Plus console than a 6TF fatter, louder current-Gen_Plus console.

Button 35 may well be VR inspired, it is less in the way of the light, as people with long fingers might block it - or something. Not sure though you would use this button. With your ring finger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all about the games is a bloody hard sell for a premium device whos selling point was until only recently all about power, as games play exactly the same on the far cheaper PS4.

The marketing for these premium consoles was always going to be super interesting and it's only getting better with these turn of events.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Ceo Jim Ryan starts laughing and explains to the reporter that he's repeating something based off of rumors,
It's his job to start laughing. I wouldn't expect significantly different figures compared to what has been presented so far; Sony had the chance to upclock PS4 when Microsoft did, before either console launched, but they did not. Not even the CPU block, where they actually lagged MS in raw numbers.

Sony lagged MS significantly in specs back in the Xbox/PS2 days. PS2 ended up selling bajillions, and Xbox was one of the shortest hardware cycles of any console.

It's not all about hardware specs. People in general don't care much about them, and don't understand them much either. They understand fun and popular games a lot better. :) If you have the latter, specs are basically irrelevant.

Anyhow, a 4.whateverTF Neo is in a lot better position than PS4 with only 1.8, and with the market advantage it has it will probably be the baseline target. The huge cost of making games for modern consoles coupled with xbone's marketshare disadvantage could mean the extra 2TF for xbone two might not see a whole lot of use.

A super slim box might be more appealing than a more powerful chunky box if the visual differences aren't significant and the Neo has market moment off the back of PS4. I'd be more interested in a super-slim, super cool, super quiet 4TF current-Gen-Plus console than a 6TF fatter, louder current-Gen_Plus console.

Now GAF is afire with rumors, sourced from one of the early Neo leakers, that there have always been multiple possible specs for Neo with multiple possible prices and launch timings and that now Sony may be leaning towards the more expensive/later design ($499 - March '17 launch). And Shifty, this part's for you, they may move to an external power brick due to power/heat. I'd be *really* interested to see how many for whom this last was a major issue are suddenly OK with this. :devilish:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back