PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These arguments are true if you follow conventional wisdom. However no one really knows where the "high-end gaming industry" is heading right now.

I would argue that the PS4 is the first successful post-pc gaming device. It's what Steam Machines aspired to be but haven't achieved.

It's a mass produced device with high end custom pc architecture combined with it's own platform and ecosystem.

Look at some trends this generation. Look at how few 1st party titles there have been. Look at the fact that it has an OS that receives updates, games that have to be installed and receive patches. Look at the regular graphics comparisons there are between PC hardware and PS4. It's been morphing the best features of both console and PC. The only feature it hasn't adopted yet is hardware upgrade-ability.

Functionally the PS4 is no more like a PC than the PS3 was. So I don't think I agree with this. Again, the frequency of HW updates isn't just a small differentiator, its the most important and principal difference between a gamer buying a console and running a regularly updated PC rig, for many many gamers.

1) My personal desire to remain on the cutting edge - I love it and I love shiny new things... unapologetically. I buy all my consoles and new gaming devices at launch because I don't want to feel left behind in the discussion.
Fair enough, although applying the term "cutting edge" in the context of PS4 is stretching it!!

If the mid-gen hw update is merely about media and VR with little to no additional impact on games then the whole problem goes away.

If the recently NeoGaf rumour however is correct, then a 2x increase in GPU and increase in CPU performance, if available for games, will be a bad thing in my mind; again provided its their intention to do more frequent hw updates going forward, as opposed to this being just a one-time thing to coincide with VR launching
A significant increase in CPU performances would indeed be bad for the gaming ecosystem homogeneity, even a smoothing could introduce small competitive advantages for competitive online play (thought bandwidth and ping are everything but Fair affaire already). Now if the PS4 capture a large share of the market the extra CPU power is going to be appreciated outside of gaming.
For now 4K and the matching optical discs may be of greater financially than VR. I cant see Sony secluding VR to their new system, it is niche enough already. So VR had to work equally will on both systems.

Functionally the PS4 is no more like a PC than the PS3 was. So I don't think I agree with this. Again, the frequency of HW updates isn't just a small differentiator, its the most important and principal difference between a gamer buying a console and running a regularly updated PC rig, for many many gamers.

Disagree. PS4 architecture has come much closer to a PC than PS3. Which is why they are even able to iterate like this.

I think 3-4 years between hardware updates is doable.

In my mind the only people to who will continue to game on PC's are:
1) Tinkerers who like to build and tinker with hardware and settings.
2) People who play strategy games

I still don't see the point of a 2x GPU. It won't nearly be enough for 4K gaming, except at worse framerates than at 1080p or upscaled from 2K which is not ideal.

It could be an early April fools...

Or it could be an intentional leak of false information, designed to weed out and expose leakers within the organisation prior to Sony's upcoming E3 conference.

*Takes off tin foil hat*

I still don't see the point of a 2x GPU. It won't nearly be enough for 4K gaming, except at worse framerates than at 1080p or upscaled from 2K which is not ideal.

I don't think it's going to run games naively at 4K as much as it is just going to run them better than PS4.

That is leaving aside the extra memory requirements, bandwidth and POWER that is why I thought of the Fp 16 improved capabilities of GCN 1.2

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gaf rumor is BS. I expected the 4k to be a Ps4 redesigned to support 4k BD and maybe $50 more. If they are really are beefing up the specs then that is to service two markets. Same games, but two profiles, standard graphics on the $299 PS4 and the better graphics on the $399-$499 PS4k. I'm guessing the new specs are to push PSVR, not 4k gaming which would be limited to simple side scrolling indies.

The meltdowns over at GAF are ridiculous. PS4K will not split the userbase. It's those who are unwilling to adapt to Sony's/Microsoft's new business model (timely console refreshes) that will split the userbase (being gamers united).

But the PS4K master-race talk is quite funny though. SMDH...

Hell if they offered say a $200 or $250 credit trade in, they can price it for $500. ;)

Sony has no use for used PS4s, but there is always a used market. Right now it bottoms out of around $250 for a healthy working system, but that will take a drop if everyone dumps their old system.

Well, yeah, there is trade-in for reindeer yeah, sure, but I assumed the context was obviously consumer electronics - maybe that wasn't so clear after all so my bad! :) So to clarify: we don't have trade-in for consumer electronics.

There was a retail chain called Thorn, which was (maybe is) international I believe, where you rented stuff and could trade up from one model to the next, but they went bankrupt like a decade ago if not more...and you rented, not owned. And it was a shitty deal anyway, you ended up paying ~2x the purchase price before your contract was expired.
So I can rent a reindeer? And then later I could trade him in for another with say...a red shiny nose. But that would end up being a bad deal anyway because they wouldn't let me play reindeer games?

Well in honesty, I was already planning to get another slim so if this one also give me more power too then all the better. The $100 trade-in last time though made it sooner than later so if there's none this time I may wait awhile anyhow. However, if they want to give me $200 trade-in for a PS4K VR package they're going to get a lot more of my money than my wife expects and probably day one.

If they do release it this fall, at $400, it would be about the price of most UHD Blu-Ray players this year.

So kind of a bargain from that standpoint.

huh...after all that missed the detail "tentative Q1 2017" in the header

maybe Sony is in fact jumping on the 14nm bandwagon right as it's available.

huh...after all that missed the detail "tentative Q1 2017" in the header

maybe Sony is in fact jumping on the 14nm bandwagon right as it's available.
"Right as it is available"?!?
Also, I wouldn't take for granted that the APU will be manufactured at GloFo, it may be TSMC again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back