PS3 warranty, 6 weeks to fix!

Mine was also because of the GTA IV issue, locked up, frooze and the drive stopped working, that is the one right?

In Sweden the general view is that it is up to the consumer to back up data. Regarding copy protected stuff you can back it up via system back up but not by copying it manually.

Also I didn't get my money back today, surprise surprise.

My PS3 worked perfectly other than the random freezing from GTA IV. Drive was fine and everything. I'm not entirely sure why they took it back, but I won't complain. I didn't get my original console back, but I'm not sure if it's new or refurbed. Regardless, I lost my Rock Band data because of it =/ Got everything else back though! I'm glad I manually backed up all my saves because the Backup Restore didn't do jack squat.

My PS3 worked perfectly other than the random freezing from GTA IV. Drive was fine and everything. I'm not entirely sure why they took it back, but I won't complain. I didn't get my original console back, but I'm not sure if it's new or refurbed. Regardless, I lost my Rock Band data because of it =/ Got everything else back though! I'm glad I manually backed up all my saves because the Backup Restore didn't do jack squat.

If it`s a refurb there should be a sticker somewhere on the box. On mine ( I sent one in because it a had a loud fan ) it said "this unit has been factory reconditioned" . The unit came just 2 days after I sent the old one in, but I live only 30 minute drive away from the German support company.

Don't they require you to take out the hard drive before you send it in? Even if they hadn't I know I would especially it's removable and doesn't void the warranty.

Tommy McClain

I didn't take mine out, but my problem didn't require it. I forgot to put it back in. I would suggest you leave it in unless told otherwise.

Why wouldn't people just back up data before sending units in?
Backing up your data doesn't help you if you get a refurbished PS3. It only helps if you have the SAME PS3.

You have to save the information on an external drive individually. For example:

Copy all videos to the external drive
Then, copy all game saves to a seperate folder on the external drive
Then, copy all music to a seperate folder on the external drive
etc.

Hmm... that's odd. Perhaps your data set contained something that could not be transferred over ? I was able to restore to the "new" 60Gb twice. The source data was backup'ed on a 20Gb before I sent it off to BestBuy. Perhaps the devs can shed some light on this.

I have a 60gb PS3 thats glitching. For example - when I played Haze I had a green gun and there were several darkened blotches on the screen, and when I played MGS4 there were whole sections of the display flickering in different colours etc. I sprayed a good amount of compressed air into the machine and it appears to have helped, but it still happens. Will I kill my machine to keep playing in this state? Because I really don't want to wait to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

I have a 60gb PS3 thats glitching. For example - when I played Haze I had a green gun and there were several darkened blotches on the screen, and when I played MGS4 there were whole sections of the display flickering in different colours etc. I sprayed a good amount of compressed air into the machine and it appears to have helped, but it still happens. Will I kill my machine to keep playing in this state? Because I really don't want to wait to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

I'd say you're better off having it fixed while it is under warranty than keeping it on life support and then you might wind up losing it after your warranty is up.

I'd say you're better off having it fixed while it is under warranty than keeping it on life support and then you might wind up losing it after your warranty is up.

I have plenty of time on the warranty, about 2-3 months... its conflicting. I really want to play the game and yet I really don't want to wait to have it repaired. If I blow it up I may not get a replacement 60gb so...

:/ its hard.

Had a similar problem when playing DMC4 with my old unit

my problem was some rendering problems, more specifically some geometry problems that pop out at random places in the game
I had to send mine back to Japan (60Gb Japanese version)

and the reply was that my PS3 had collected too much dust inside and for some reason damaged the motherboard.
However, I think that the dust collected mainly due to my carpet floor and me having it on 24/7 on F@H

Might be a similar problem?

Mine was over warranty and cost about 50 USD to fix within 2 days(excluding the trip to and from US, I got them to send it to my friend in Japan). Not a bad service at all in my opinion.

Had a similar problem when playing DMC4 with my old unit

my problem was some rendering problems, more specifically some geometry problems that pop out at random places in the game
I had to send mine back to Japan (60Gb Japanese version)

and the reply was that my PS3 had collected too much dust inside and for some reason damaged the motherboard.
However, I think that the dust collected mainly due to my carpet floor and me having it on 24/7 on F@H

Might be a similar problem?

Mine was over warranty and cost about 50 USD to fix within 2 days(excluding the trip to and from US, I got them to send it to my friend in Japan). Not a bad service at all in my opinion.

Thats exactly what happened to mine! I got it working mostly after I blew half a can of compressed air into it. Didn't have much dust come out but man it doesn't like it when it does have dust it seems.

Back