PS3 warranty, 6 weeks to fix!

dubyateeeff

Newcomer
I am wondering what your experience is with Sony and your retailer regarding the PS3 warranty. I called Sony, who said it takes 1-2 weeks to fix a PS3 during the summer period. The retailer (Expert, no they aren't!) stalled for 2 weeks (until I called, they didn't send them the warranty papers/receit), and when the unit finally reached Sony (2,5-3 weeks in) I found out that it would take them 6 weeks to fix it (shipping it back etc etc, making it a total of 10 weeks). Anyway, Expert finally called back and said I could get my money back OR wait till they fix it - Sony doesn't offer any new/refurbished replacement units. And the retailer no longer offers vanilla PS3 in that shop, but a more expensive bundle with games I already own/don't want and they won't give me that one.

So, they will make a new sale in Sweden. PS3 is kinda scarce online too so that ain't helping. I ain't happy, but atleast they are willing to give me my money back since it will take them longer than 4 weeks to fix it. Is the situation the same in other countries?

Why can't Sony offer refurbished PS3s? Or new replacement units?

I am very weary about getting a MGS-PS3 now (also doesn't match the Samsung TV).

Cheers!

PS. Bolded the non-ranting parts. DS.

A friend of mines PS3 died this week, I have it here to see if it was just the HD that died or whether it was the unit itself. I guess the failure rate for the PS3 is so low that any unit that comes back is completely dead and therefore can't be offered as a refurb. As for the replcement units, well, we'll have to see if that happens over here (UK) if it isn't the HD thats failed.

I am wondering what your experience is with Sony and your retailer regarding the PS3 warranty. I called Sony, who said it takes 1-2 weeks to fix a PS3 during the summer period. The retailer (Expert, no they aren't!) stalled for 2 weeks (until I called, they didn't send them the warranty papers/receit), and when the unit finally reached Sony (2,5-3 weeks in) I found out that it would take them 6 weeks to fix it (shipping it back etc etc, making it a total of 10 weeks). Anyway, Expert finally called back and said I could get my money back OR wait till they fix it - Sony doesn't offer any new/refurbished replacement units. And the retailer no longer offers vanilla PS3 in that shop, but a more expensive bundle with games I already own/don't want and they won't give me that one.

So, they will make a new sale in Sweden. PS3 is kinda scarce online too so that ain't helping. I ain't happy, but atleast they are willing to give me my money back since it will take them longer than 4 weeks to fix it. Is the situation the same in other countries?

Why can't Sony offer refurbished PS3s? Or new replacement units?

I am very weary about getting a MGS-PS3 now (also doesn't match the Samsung TV).

Cheers!

PS. Bolded the non-ranting parts. DS.

Just shipped mine back 2 weeks ago at Sony's request due to the GTA IV issue, and should have the system back in my entertainment center on Thursday. I'm not sure if I'm getting my system back, a refurb, or what. I'm desperately hoping I get MINE back since I don't want to lose my Rock Band data...

My 60GB started locking up on me and I couldn't update the firmware. I sent my PS3 in on a Thursday (next day air). I got a 60GB PS3 back from Sony on Tuesday. I was pretty amazed.

In PAL land, the process seems to be according to the model.

60GBs in NZ aren't stockpiled enough, so are remanufactured in small quantities - it took about 2-3 weeks for mine to come back.

40GBs are replaced as they come in according to the stockpile.

The method seems to be replace with an in stock console and remanufacture the broken ones as they come in then add those to the pile.

I've seen a turnaround of within one week (!), but it is usually two.

My 60GB started locking up on me and I couldn't update the firmware. I sent my PS3 in on a Thursday (next day air). I got a 60GB PS3 back from Sony on Tuesday. I was pretty amazed.

Don't they require you to take out the hard drive before you send it in? Even if they hadn't I know I would especially it's removable and doesn't void the warranty.

Tommy McClain

Why don't people backup their personal computers...?

because they have yet to experience a cataclysmic loss of data? :p

once you do you never think twice. I lost 2 weeks of design work on my small business system once 10 years ago and since then I got a little obesessive with redundant HDDs, flash drives at remote locations and Carbonite online server back up.

i just upgraded to an Elite x360 and simply backed up my profile and game saves to a memory card for migration... easy peasy.

Why wouldn't people just back up data before sending units in?

I did back all mine up. Only problem is Rock Band. The save data is copy protected, so if I don't get the same system back, I don't get the data back either. There are a few other games that have protected saves as well. I think High Velocity Bowling is one. I can't think of the others right now. I ran across it when Rock Band wouldn't let me copy the files directly to my MS.

I should also mention my system was a launch 60GB NTSC model that is clearly out of warranty, but they took it for free anyway.

Maybe they had 3 break in the same week and couldn't cope with the unusually high demand for warranty repairs.

Why do people go to the manufacturer for warranty anyway? I dont know about US laws but in Holland if you buy something your agreement is with whoever sold you the item. You can go to them for warranty and they have to give it to you. Ofcourse alot of shops dont want that as its costing them effort instead of you sending it to the maker but if you press hard enough its often possible to get a new unit directly from the story (which is your right to begin with). Only problem is that most stores dont care shit about their customers so to get things your way you often have to be not so nice in the story with plenty of others around so they know whats going on.

Why do people go to the manufacturer for warranty anyway? I dont know about US laws but in Holland if you buy something your agreement is with whoever sold you the item. You can go to them for warranty and they have to give it to you. Ofcourse alot of shops dont want that as its costing them effort instead of you sending it to the maker but if you press hard enough its often possible to get a new unit directly from the story (which is your right to begin with). Only problem is that most stores dont care shit about their customers so to get things your way you often have to be not so nice in the story with plenty of others around so they know whats going on.

And people wonder why things cost you more in Europe. You may think its free, but you're paying for it.

In North America unless you buy the extended warranty the retailers are pretty much out of the picture 14-30 days after purchase.

I did back all mine up. Only problem is Rock Band. The save data is copy protected, so if I don't get the same system back, I don't get the data back either. There are a few other games that have protected saves as well. I think High Velocity Bowling is one. I can't think of the others right now. I ran across it when Rock Band wouldn't let me copy the files directly to my MS.

I should also mention my system was a launch 60GB NTSC model that is clearly out of warranty, but they took it for free anyway.

Copy-protected game saves? That's bizarre. Anyone know what file system the drive uses?

I just read the PS3 uses FAT32 so it should be possible to mount it in another machine (linux) and copy stuff...

The PS3 system stuff is a proprietary format; you can't just wire the HDD up to a PC and read its content. The Linux partition is FAT32.

The PS3 system stuff is a proprietary format; you can't just wire the HDD up to a PC and read its content. The Linux partition is FAT32.

Ahhh...what I read was that the PS3 (without Linux) uses FAT32.

I assume it must use a standard file system, no? They actually invented a file system for the PS3?

Did you back it up with the built in backup or just by copying save games?

Just shipped mine back 2 weeks ago at Sony's request due to the GTA IV issue,

Mine was also because of the GTA IV issue, locked up, frooze and the drive stopped working, that is the one right?

I did back all mine up. Only problem is Rock Band. The save data is copy protected, so if I don't get the same system back, I don't get the data back either.

In Sweden the general view is that it is up to the consumer to back up data. Regarding copy protected stuff you can back it up via system back up but not by copying it manually.

Also I didn't get my money back today, surprise surprise.

Back