[PS3] Uncharted 2

I can't remember MGS4 water clearly. There's the small pond in the South America battlefield, the canal in the spy chase, the ocean in the mecha duet and the submarine fist fight. Only the S. America scene allowed me to wade into the water. Is that the one you're referring to ?

True that water in MGS4 is not "that" common. What's there is high tech though.

You can freely interact with the water in the act 3 canals and the act 2 rivers. In the realtime cutscene water shows up a couple of times as well, in some big set pieces in act 3, 4 and 5 (could be more though, my memory is a little fuzzy).

I think MGS4 has better looking water and (much) more advanced water physiscs than Uncharted 1, but i suspect Uncharted 2 will show off some amazing tech.
Absolutely no. The water hasn't the reflections in mgs4 and the physics is limited to the waves animations. In uncharted is more complex with distortion of the world reflection who follow the waves in motion.

I think MGS4 has better looking water and (much) more advanced water physiscs than Uncharted 1, but i suspect Uncharted 2 will show off some amazing tech.

Hmm...I'll have to double check, but for right now I disagree. I dont' remember being as impressed by water in MGS4.

What I want is more variety in the blooming Rocks. :p It's like 90% (completely made up number) of rocks in games are virtually the same with similar looking textures. Having lived in the Midwest (US), Pacific NW (US), Hawai'i, Taiwan, Japan and other places. Rocks have much greater variety than what I usually see in a game just walking down a street. Or going on a hike.

Anyway, all that is to say, damn those rocks in that screenshot are sure bland. :p

Regards,
SB

Hmm...I'll have to double check, but for right now I disagree. I dont' remember being as impressed by water in MGS4.
I knew it! I knew the moment anyone said 'this is the best water...' we'd collapse into a 'best water in a computer game' thread!

Please stay on the topic of Uncharted 2!

What I want is more variety in the blooming Rocks. :p It's like 90% (completely made up number) of rocks in games are virtually the same with similar looking textures. Having lived in the Midwest (US), Pacific NW (US), Hawai'i, Taiwan, Japan and other places. Rocks have much greater variety than what I usually see in a game just walking down a street. Or going on a hike.

Anyway, all that is to say, damn those rocks in that screenshot are sure bland. :p

Regards,
SB

I'd wager you did not play Uncharted 1? At least I liked it plenty in that game. The only game ever where I actually stopped to watch the rocks :D

I'd wager you did not play Uncharted 1? At least I liked it plenty in that game. The only game ever where I actually stopped to watch the rocks :D

Yep the rocks in Uncharted 1 are great - if you're in the jungle they're covered in moss etc. If they're wet, they look wet. They had a bunch of different rock textures in the game.

The refraction and reflection in U1 is excellent, I just want to see if they managed to put in their 3D water into U2. No more questions for the Dawgs? If not, it's being sent off today.

Sorry Mr. Shifty, my fault there.

Now, when exactly is this beauty coming out ? I'm from Europe but i might import it from overseas if there's too much delay here (i mean, is it !?)

13 October U.S., I think 23 for Europe (I'm sure there's lots of dialogue translation work going on - imagine hours of dialogue in 12+ languages :D )

Yeah, I heard that. He also mentions that they talk with the God of War guys once a month, and that the sharing between the studios generally consists of exchanging ideas and solutions, rarely of specific code, just saying 'we solved that this way, etc.'. There's a lot of sharing between artists in particular also.

New screens and tidbits:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3175515

1) Over 130,000 people participated in our Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta, covering players from 135 countries all over the world.

2) The total of all multiplayer and co-op games played during the three weeks of our Beta was over 40,300 hours.

3) In Uncharted: Drake's Fortune we had 104 individual environment files on the disc; in Uncharted 2 we have over 400.

4) We spent over 30 days on our soundstage recording motion capture performances which resulted in over 90 minutes of cinematics -- along with a ton of in-game animations.

5) Our daily back-up of data has been averaging over one terabyte lately... and that covers only Uncharted 2 assets and data.

6) We drank a s*** ton of soda -- over 30,000 cans -- and one bottle of bourbon during the two years of production on Uncharted 2.

7) Between the 100+ Dogs working at the studio, we have over 16 nationalities and over 10 languages represented.

8) We've moved twice in our history: From the Universal Studios lot next to Insomniac games to an office spot above a Santa Monica outdoor mall, and to our current space -- formerly Sony BMG's offices.

9) We still have several of the "Original Naughty Dogs" with us, who started the first Crash Bandicoot game almost 14 years ago!

10) We've always had at least one dog "mascot" at Naughty Dog since the beginning. Currently our resident dogs are Pogo, a French Bulldog, and Trumpet, a Bichon Frise.

EDIT: Argh, one of the new screens spoiled a new enemy type.

Heh, if you don't point it out, I won't be able to tell specifically. KillZone 2, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian and others are all beautiful in their own right. I am more excited about Uncharted as a wholesome game :). I also look forward to the crumbling level(s) while Drake is still in it.

Back