[PS3] Uncharted 2

What happened ?

I always play PS3 games with my voice input muted because I don't want random people outside my office hear me shouting. :)

Not sure whether it was his aim, or lack of teamwork but we were getting slaughtered without communication. We weren't able to get past 2 clearance points.

Finally, skill level of 50 with an appropriately awesome chain reaction. :cool:

I keep the system turned off at the wall.
If I turn the controller on, then turn the PS3 on at the wall - it'll detect the controller and power up immediately. It just won't sync. Ever.

If I turn it on at the wall first, then turn the controller on, it's fine. Just not the other way around.

Out of curiosity, have you tried turning off the controller by holding PS and turning it back on?
Also why turned off at the wall?

Hrmm, I've been getting sync issues with my PS3 too actually, and I'm not touching it at the wall. The controller turns on the PS3 but loses sync immediately. I have to plug it in, turn off the PS3, then turn it back on for it to sync again.

What difficulty?

Normal.

Sans headset, only by luck could we defeat the flanking situations. With, we were golden.

Have you guys been successful in playing co-op with no communication? I guess it would be different if playing with 2 experienced players.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just worse than I thought! :)

I think it was introduced in 3.00 since more people started to complain around the same timeframe. The 3.15 release note included a description for this fix. Some recommended an extra hard reboot (using the power switch) after the update.

I noticed that my controller wouldn't turn off in 3.10 sometimes. Have not encountered any issues since 3.15.

EDIT:
Have you guys been successful in playing co-op with no communication?

Depends. It's easier if one has a mic while the other simply follow orders. If both have no mic, then your experiences will count most.

I have not tried U2 co-op yet.

I guess it would be different if playing with 2 experienced players.

I'd think so.

In cases where the co-op difficulty is high (like R2 hilltop at high level), the enemies will flood the level in waves. It may not be possible to get out in unison when our positions are overrun. It's also harder to manage the situation when there are more co-op players, and the enemies charge from multiple directions at the same time.

Usually, I'd trust my instinct and hit the road immediately when I sense a wipeout scenario. Saved my team quite a few times when everyone else's dead. Had to find ways to revive the first 2-3 teammates one at a time.

Saw you and mgs_van playing U2. Decided to start playing U2 MP again.

Completed 3 co-op maps, and getting up to speed with the deathmatch maps.

Terrific game.

Graphics are great as advertised, the platforming design is great. Didn't think I'd like shooting-heavy gameplay but it's okay, sometimes distracts you from hunting for treasure.

Cut scenes are very well-done, good voice-acting and pitch-perfect dialogue (partly because of use of some swear words and some innuendo).

If not for the speech, this game could be set in the '40s, like Indiana Jones. The places are historical but with all the ruins, the landscape is otherworldly (even outside the temples and other exotic locations). The feel is a lot like Ico's world, which also has a fantasy-like places.

Too bad it takes 2 years to put these things together -- which is still a lot better than Team Ico.

ETA: Oh and this game wrested all the adventure/platforming mantle from Tomb Raider and the feeble efforts to make Indiana Jones games. Lucasgames should look to poach talent from this team if they're ever serious about making a great Indy game.

Terrific game.

Graphics are great as advertised, the platforming design is great. Didn't think I'd like shooting-heavy gameplay but it's okay, sometimes distracts you from hunting for treasure.

Cut scenes are very well-done, good voice-acting and pitch-perfect dialogue (partly because of use of some swear words and some innuendo).

If not for the speech, this game could be set in the '40s, like Indiana Jones. The places are historical but with all the ruins, the landscape is otherworldly (even outside the temples and other exotic locations). The feel is a lot like Ico's world, which also has a fantasy-like places.

Too bad it takes 2 years to put these things together -- which is still a lot better than Team Ico.

ETA: Oh and this game wrested all the adventure/platforming mantle from Tomb Raider and the feeble efforts to make Indiana Jones games. Lucasgames should look to poach talent from this team if they're ever serious about making a great Indy game.

Terrible idea, it would be a crime to break up such a great team, they're doing work that Lucas Arts will never ever come close, if anything Naughty Dog should poach more and better talent from other top teams to make their team even better and make even better games for the Uncharted franchise.

Lucas Arts should just sell the Indy license to Sony and never make another Indy game ever.
Indifferent2.gif

This is a fabulous game, one of the most entertaining things I've ever played, but I'm going to just look at some of the gameplay issues that are a bit rubbish in the name of constructive critcism (although in reality it's probably me just having a whinge). These are points I was talking with a friend yesterday, and we both noticed them.

Firstly and most annoyingly, the 'interactive movie' aspect is extremely frustrating. There are points in the game where you don't know what to do, and in fact there isn't anything you can do. The idea is you just waste time until a cutscene kicks in. I think actually you have to become a victim so you can be saved. In myu case I ran around for 10 minutes trying not to get hurt, as you would do, instead of letting myself get beat up a bit. Then you have other similar situations where you actually have to fight your way out. It's plain annoying to have millions of enemies you shoot until they die, but sporadically have other enemies where you have to find some preset course of action because they are immune to hot lead. I'd like consistency, and if there is to be a deviation from the standard expected behaviour (shooting people no longer kills them) I'd like a fairly logical explanation and pointer that gameplay needs to change. Although the end battle was obvious to me because I've played enough games to know to 'hunt the repeating combat pattern', it sin't to everyone. ND could have readily foreshadowed this in their story arc to identify a weakness to a particular thing that would come to play in the final battle.

The controls could also do with refining, although I'm not quite sure how changes would be implemented. Most of the times I died, it was either because I was being silly and running+gunning, or because I wanted to do something sensible but the controls did something silly. I'd sometimes look to duck into cover and end up fixing to cover on the side of the object rather than behind. And when you stick to cover, it's not intuitive to move around the cover readily but you either have to break away from the cover or remember to move into the prefered place. Which can place you on the wrong side. So sometimes I was 'in cover' in the open getting shot, which isn't really what Drake or I would do! And there have also been occassions where I wanted to grab a ledge but rolled off. Then there were occassions where I'd want to climb through a hole in the scenery to cover, but I was a fraction to the side so just jumped in the air instead. I think the AI could guess if you are getting shot from behind, you probably don't want to just jump on the spot, so that 'jump' press probably meant climb through the nearby opening.

Sometimes it's not at all clear which route is the predetermined one you have to follow, and I've wasted time looking for the right bit of scenery to climb or jump on. One case was a bar to swing from which was only viewable if you swung the camera round to a certain (unnatural) POV. I died lots there jumping at bits of scenery that technically Drake should be able to navigate but which weren't the prescribed route.

I suppose that leads to the annoying technical limitation of managed scenery. There are lots of places Drake should be able to climb but he can't. You then get drops that Drake has made in other cases but because they aren't the allowed route, he dies when you try them. Of course, without warning, and without any way on knowing they are deadly routes other than if you get into the mind of the game designers and appreciate they are having to plan a route. Clearly this gen is the problem here if you want U2's visual schwing and controlled story, as you can't have a completely open world. But next-gen I hope in the jungle I can climb any vine or root covered ascent instead of doing ridiculous exercise jumps!

All that said, I enjoyed my second play through, will take on Crushing, and continue to play online. Uncharted 2 is a fabulous creation and a must-have for PS3 owners.

I really like UC2's campaign as its alot of fun and the co-op is a blast as well...UC2's mp experience lacks the certain magic that games like Halo and COD have in terms of fun factor, map design, etc...

Clearly this gen is the problem here if you want U2's visual schwing and controlled story, as you can't have a completely open world. But next-gen I hope in the jungle I can climb any vine or root covered ascent instead of doing ridiculous exercise jumps!

I don't think it's anything to do with the relative power (or lack of) in "this gen", but rather ND's strict adherence to driving you on from cinematic cutscene to cinematic cutscene that means they want to force the player down the prescribed route, and a more freeform approach to jumps, drops and climbing goes against that.

Assassins Creed, more than 2 years ago, showed that it's possible to make a game where everything that looks climbable is, that which doesn't, isn't, a jumpable distance is always a jumpable distance and a drop will do the same amount of damage, irrespective of what you are dropping from but that it also relative to the height of the drop.

But of course, in AC you can go hours and hours (if you want to) before arriving at the next cutscene, which is at total odds with the (pretty) tunnel approach that ND went for with U2.

ND's story could be preserved but with more open environments. The jungle doesn't need to be that constricted. They could have offered the option to forge your own way through the jungle around and into the camp. Except if they had done that, they wouldn't have preserved the gorgeous visuals we had. We'd also need a lot more animation tech to manage positioning arms and legs on irregularly spaced surfaces like tree roots, and to accomodate flexing plants to squeeze your way through etc.

Making a proper editor should allow for trees and other jungle stuff that looks random but in fact has set distances between branches etc to allow for climbing.

Turning UC into an open world game, however, would require a complete overhaul of many of the game design principles. More intelligent enemies, more freedom in the equipment and ammo management, less cinematic events...
But it is not impossible to build a linear story in an open world, as AC2 has clearly demonstrated... As much I like that game, I still feel sorry about how little thinking you have to do, because the game relies on skill mostly. Oh and they've managed to include linear gameplay sequences too. But it's graphics are clearly not as spectacular as UC2, though.

Anyway, it's still quite likely that UC3 is going to be released on the PS3 as well and use the same engine, although obviously even more tweaked and finetuned. At least I personally don't think that we'll see a PS4 within two years and don't expect ND to start a new franchise. Maybe they'll revive Jak and Daxter instead, though.. but that'd probably need new tech as well.

I really like UC2's campaign as its alot of fun and the co-op is a blast as well...UC2's mp experience lacks the certain magic that games like Halo and COD have in terms of fun factor, map design, etc...

I don't understand why persons keep making that argument. Is it just that fps games are more easily enjoyable in MP? For me its all the same essentially but i prefer UC2 because of the player mobility options.

Back