[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

I question if casual gamer are aware of the smoother framerate. Maybe they are, but it seems a feature that goes overlooked by many. Certainly my friends didn't notice the improvement in Booty between 30fps and 60fps, and they're not the most casual of casuls.

I dont' know, most people (casual players) think that CoD4 looked "real" because it was "so smooth". I think frame rate has a big impact on someone's perception when their viewing a game, and I think for some people, 60fps in Ratchet will just make it all the better (especially since they are gunning for that prestine animated "pixar-esque" look).

That's just my opinion though, nothing scientifically proven :p

Insomniac community architect Corey Garnett dropped word that the Insomniac Games site is getting a bit of an overhaul planned to go into effect later today.

The update will add stat-tracking for the upcoming Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. The new site will cull data from 30-40 different categories, including how long you've played the game, how many times you've died, your favorite weapon and how many enemies you've turned into monkeys with the Chimp-O-Matic

Source: http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009...hing-new-site-with-randc-a-crack-in-time-sta/

Insomniac site due for "extension" here: http://www.insomniacgames.com/

Awesome :) Go Go IG!! I love to see the stuff these guy's do in their games. Gives me more reason to play ACiT multiple times :)

I dont' know, most people (casual players) think that CoD4 looked "real" because it was "so smooth". I think frame rate has a big impact on someone's perception when their viewing a game, and I think for some people, 60fps in Ratchet will just make it all the better (especially since they are gunning for that prestine animated "pixar-esque" look).

That's just my opinion though, nothing scientifically proven :p

The 60fps had way more impact in terms of controls for COD4 than visuals, and while it had its moments, COD4 wasn't exactly an amazing looking game.

Proper lighting and shadowing is paramount to achieving the Pixar look, and it's the lighting and shadowing that's been the biggest weakness in games from Insomniac, it's not like Pixar movies ran at 60fps.

Well, I'll disagree. I understand your point, but Ratchet isn't a game where people are looking for these things. I'd actually argue that 'casual' gamers are more impressed by the smooth frame rate and animation than they would be dynamic shadows. The group of people that are looking for that kind of stuff is significantly smaller than the entire buying audience of Ratchet and Clank.

No, people don't look for these specific things, people also don't count frames either, most people just see the overall picture, and it's the lighting and shadowing that really bring everything together.

While I'm getting the game day one and I'm sure you are too, it's hard not to realize that their engine really does need a bit of an overhaul. They purposefully avoided effects that would be more expensive to support at the beginning, things like HDR lighting, more dynamic shadowing and properly reflective water, and yes it did give them better performance in terms of IQ and framerate, but it's coming back to haunt them because your overall scene does not look as immersive and convincing.
Indifferent2.gif

I question if casual gamer are aware of the smoother framerate. Maybe they are, but it seems a feature that goes overlooked by many. Certainly my friends didn't notice the improvement in Booty between 30fps and 60fps, and they're not the most casual of casuls.

Heck, most casual gamers don't care about...

High texture resolution. Accurate shadows. What the framerate is. Whether it has aliasing or not. Whether the game uses Anistropic Filtering. Whether the lighting is truly HDR. Whether the resolution is 720p, 1080p, 540p, or whatever. Etc...

Things like that are far more important for enthusiasts and those that can appreciate the technical efforts put into a game. As well as, how shall we say? Forum console "warriors."

As long as a game is fun to play and doesn't look like arse, that's enough for the majority of casuals...

Regards,
SB

I though the demo looked good but was short. I thought I read somewhere their is suppose to be a 2nd demo a Rachet section iirc. Anyone know why its so large? And I don't see the aliasing issue you guys are talking about looks clean to me.

I just tried the demo very quickly. Didn't finish it because I want to play more DS before going home.

I think I see some of your points. However I also think that the issues may be overblown.

* Demo not fun, only a tutorial. This is quite true. But the concept is rather deep. I kinda like it, but at the same time, as I suspected, it's not really a casual casual game. It seems to require a fair amount of thinking.

* Graphics. Yeah, not as stunning as Uncharted 2 and not as atmospheric as Demon's Souls or Batman. Not really a big problem. But it will be a disappointment for some core gamers. I think people should reserve their judgment until they see the full game. Also didn't really notice any framerate drop.

* Sound. They changed my favorite tinkering sound when collecting nuts. I assume this is because they want to compress the demo ? :(

Overall, I am curious about the time-based gameplay and its variation. Already pre-ordered the game. Will have more impressions after I played the real thing. At least this demo helped me to understand their gameplay more. So it's not too bad (compared to just regular shooting).

The demo alone most likely won't do much to sell the game though.

No, people don't look for these specific things, people also don't count frames either, most people just see the overall picture, and it's the lighting and shadowing that really bring everything together.

While I'm getting the game day one and I'm sure you are too, it's hard not to realize that their engine really does need a bit of an overhaul. They purposefully avoided effects that would be more expensive to support at the beginning, things like HDR lighting, more dynamic shadowing and properly reflective water, and yes it did give them better performance in terms of IQ and framerate, but it's coming back to haunt them because your overall scene does not look as immersive and convincing.
Indifferent2.gif

Hmm, what I experienced: I have the possibility to play games on a 1080p projector with a huge (don't know the exact numbers, maybe 3.5m x 2m screen). But you know what, I often switch to a classic LCD TV, because bad IQ is somehow ampliefied, so that all games look "better" on the LCD TV. Up to now, I found only two exceptions (for me): Killzone 2 and guess what: R&C. A 1m large R&C with his flattering ears is one of the coolest things I have seen and I am expecting the same "Pixar movie feeling" from the new R&C :LOL:

And how do i do that? Please help.

It's not that hard. Simply create a new user on your PS3, and sign that user up for PSN under a different E-mail address, and a US address.

You can also make a Japanese account to get earlier access to even more stuff, but you'll probably need to find a guide on the internet for that.

I tried the demo today and the game doesnt look as good as the previous Rachet and Clank on the PS3.

I am convinced that it is sub-720p. The image is blurry and there are jaggies everywhere. I am pretty dissapointed since the original looked much better and I was expecting drastic improvements in this one's visuals. Instead based on the demo it looks worse

Got to say I didn't notice any jaggies and they are probably using 2xQAA as they have done in the past which should explain the blurryness.

I don't think it looks great either, but the images that have been released already look much better so I guess it's a pretty early demo.

Got to say I didn't notice any jaggies and they are probably using 2xQAA as they have done in the past which should explain the blurryness.

I don't think it looks great either, but the images that have been released already look much better so I guess it's a pretty early demo.

Absolutely no QAA, it is 2xAA in a framebuffer of 1280x720p rendering in a 960x702p window, a particular technic owns by insomniac, the same used in the previous episode just Quaz51 last quote.

Every single R&C this generation was sub 720p.
960x702 in fact.

This one's IQ looked worse though.

I wonder why. The other one looked crisp and clean and had less jaggies despite the sub-720p resolution.

I couldnt tolerate much what I was seeing on this demo though despite the nice lighting and reflections. It is ruined by the blurry/aliased image.

I'd wait for the real game before commenting on the graphics. The sound is worse off too. I suspect the assets may be compressed more aggressively to make the demo smaller, but I could be wrong.

Back