[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Tried to make it smaller? Well, I guess their compression method is rather crappy then. The demo is fucking huge. (about 0.5 gigabytes smaller than Far Cry 2)

As for the game: It does look rather blurry, so no big improvements there. It's a rather subtle step up from Tools of Destruction. The shadows cast from all the bolts and shattered boxes are a nice touch, but other than that not munch has been changed apparently. I had fun playing as Clank, though That is definitely a first for me. I always dreaded the Clank sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one's IQ looked worse though.

I wonder why. The other one looked crisp and clean and had less jaggies despite the sub-720p resolution.

I couldnt tolerate much what I was seeing on this demo though despite the nice lighting and reflections. It is ruined by the blurry/aliased image.

try this

http://i37.tinypic.com/2d17aex.jpg

I actually do that for pretty much every PS3 game. Most multi platform game that looks very close to 360 counter part looks even closer.

I wonder why. The other one looked crisp and clean and had less jaggies despite the sub-720p resolution.

I couldnt tolerate much what I was seeing on this demo though despite the nice lighting and reflections. It is ruined by the blurry/aliased image.

Lighting and reflection were the most glaring deficiencies in the demo, a large part of level had floor made of glass yet glass did not reflect, lighting did not appear to come from light sources. IQ is far from being an issue, there's far too much looking for an ant with a magifying glass when there's an elephant sitting in the room.

Uh, this is bad news :cry: ...nevertheless looking forward to play the game.

Now that I boot up Quest for Booty again it isn't as sharp as I remember(probably because I first played that game on a CRT HDTV). PQ looks like what happens when you run video through a bad upscaler. So guess new demo is really in keeping with past PQ. It's just as blurry and just as many jaggies.

Those of you saying ToD looks better may want to boot that game up again considering QfB is supposed to be a step up from that game.

Now that I boot up Quest for Booty again it isn't as sharp as I remember(probably because I first played that game on a CRT HDTV). PQ looks like what happens when you run video through a bad upscaler. So guess new demo is really in keeping with past PQ. It's just as blurry and just as many jaggies.

Those of you saying ToD looks better may want to boot that game up again considering QfB is supposed to be a step up from that game.

Good point! Once I get R&C: ACiT I can compare it to R&C:TOD and R&C:QFB.

Tried to make it smaller? Well, I guess their compression method is rather crappy then. The demo is fucking huge. (about 0.5 gigabytes smaller than Far Cry 2)
Fact is the game makes use of blu-ray so I am amazed anyone can be that shocked about the demo size. There is potentially 50gb worth of data

Lighting and reflection were the most glaring deficiencies in the demo, a large part of level had floor made of glass yet glass did not reflect, lighting did not appear to come from light sources. IQ is far from being an issue, there's far too much looking for an ant with a magifying glass when there's an elephant sitting in the room.

Believe me the elephant in the room is the resolution and aliasing which infests 100% of the image constantly unlike some glasses that dont appear to have reflections

Just tried the demo. Have to say I really like it.

At first when it presented me with the whole record yourself... time puzzles I was a little annoyed. I was like, do I really want this in my R&C? Because it seemed too complicated. But after doing a couple I realized they were really quite fun and not too hard once you get a grasp of the basic idea.

About the graphics. When I sit a proper distance away from my screen it looks really awesome. Shaders and lighting etc look far more advanced than the last game. But when I look up close, I agree it does look pretty blurry compared to the last one.

Not sure which I prefer. I kind of like how clean the last R&C game looked. But this one does look significantly better. Probably the best looking 60fps game I have seen.

I only wish they could have taken advantage of the amazing DOF effect Uncharted2 has. That effect would have brought this game so close to feeling like a pixar movie. But maybe they couldn't get that effect to work at 60fps.

Edit: Daaamn... I just popped in R&C Tools of Destruction, and man that game does not look nearly as good as I remember. Probably not as good as most of you remember either. It looks VERY dated compared to this new one. And it's much blurrier than I remember too. I think that just coming off of Uncharted2 every game from now that does not have that level of IQ is going to look blurry.

Okay... that means I have to pop ToD into my PS3 for a second look too.

But the bolt/nut collection sound effect is different in the ACiT demo right ?

I feel that Q4B looks better than this demo in terms of IQ. I just played it about a week or two ago so I don't think my memories of it are too old. But, the thing that really bothered me in this demo was really the framerate. It dropped way too much for comfort, especially during the mini-boss enemy at the end. Also, ran into a few very jarring glitches such as no spinning platforms loading in the clank dream sequence.

Nah it looks the same as QFB. A developer at neogaf confirmed the resolution is the same as past R&C games. I wonder why so many think it looks worse, I would hope it doesn't look worse than the previous games since they already looked blurry. Maybe the level in the demo is too vibrant and makes the PQ issues more evident? Or everyone playing newer games like Uncharted 2 gives them a better frame of reference?

Nah it looks the same as QFB. A developer at neogaf confirmed the resolution is the same as past R&C games. I wonder why so many think it looks worse, I would hope it doesn't look worse than the previous games since they already looked blurry. Maybe the level in the demo is too vibrant and makes the PQ issues more evident? Or everyone playing newer games like Uncharted 2 gives them a better frame of reference?

No the IQ is worse. Even my brother who just watched me play Q4B asked me why the demo looked worse. Could be a brightness issue as at default it's really washed out. They don't include an in game gauge for where it should be set so there's no way of knowing if it's intentional or not. I did play Uncharted 2 recently, but I'm currently going through Brutal Legend. I'm hoping this is an issue like Batman AA for the 360 which defaults way too bright and thus looks horrible. But without a gauge (like they have in batman) there is really no way to know where it should be set correctly.

I've played both games back to back, and I'm convinced that some of you need to adjust the gamma setting in the game (in the options) or you have to remove the rose tinted glasses.

The biggest difference is the addition of some post processing effects (such as a "motion blur" that seems to only effect light sources).

Back