[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Nice AA and AF! :rolleyes:

Other than the obviously bullshotty aspects of these screens this game looks pretty crazy on the whole with a lot of action and details.

What's up though with the pixelly support struts for the dome-topped building on the right-hand side of the screen in the topmost piccy?
Peace.

They look good and as TrungGap said the game look fun. The only thing that I would like to see some extra attention on is their groundtextures, they look a little bit flat to me. Good find GreekDNA.

Robots on the right = shadows
Robots on the left = no shadows

Whatever Insomniac are doing, it seems a strange choice at this point.

I'm guessing the level is supposed to be semi-dark and only the enemies close to the explosion get a shadow. But obviously it's something precomputed anyway, because the shadows all seem to go in the same (wrong) direction.

I'm guessing the level is supposed to be semi-dark and only the enemies close to the explosion get a shadow. But obviously it's something precomputed anyway, because the shadows all seem to go in the same (wrong) direction.
took the words out of my mouth.

I don't recall any dynamic shadows from explosions in the trailers I've seen. Admittedly I haven't been looking for them, but it's not something I've noticed as I've followed the shadow situation. AFAICS some surfaces don't receive shadows. There's some platforms for example that don't. In this screenshots case I guess whatever those robots are standing on is a non-shadowing surface. Whatever, I just don't get it! Shadows are RnC's weakest point, and I don't understand why.

Thank you for these pictures my friend. I like that this game has 60fps but for the graphics are not amazing. Bad ground texture is very disappointing for me. Only problem for me for sometimes very amazing Resistance is average textures and I thought they will fix this with good streaming. Maybe I am crazy but for me this looks like old Ratchet and Clank with higher resolution and more shiny surfaces. Probably I am crazy.

"Shadows" seem to be the new "aliasing" or "low-polygons" or "lack-of-physics" or "single, canned animations." Basically, one of the elements that will immediately stick out at you when it's lacking, as everything else has been spruced up in modern titles.

It's one of the few things that makes me wince in Heavenly Sword (though probably exacerbated due to my using a monitor and sitting too close), graphically. Not that it LACKS them, of course, but that low-rez, blocky edges are jarring coming off of excellent models and set against high-rez textures. (Thankfully it's only the occasional scene the really gets you; you pretty much get used to it the rest of the time, but every half-hour or so you get to an area where you can really notice it again, and then the re-wince. :p )

...and except in games where lighting is pretty much a fundamental aspect of the mood or gameplay, I don't see them getting more attention than other details, so they'll probably remain offputting for the forseeable future.

Shadows

"Shadows" seem to be the new "aliasing" or "low-polygons" or "lack-of-physics" or "single, canned animations." Basically, one of the elements that will immediately stick out at you when it's lacking, as everything else has been spruced up in modern titles.

It's one of the few things that makes me wince in Heavenly Sword (though probably exacerbated due to my using a monitor and sitting too close), graphically. Not that it LACKS them, of course, but that low-rez, blocky edges are jarring coming off of excellent models and set against high-rez textures. (Thankfully it's only the occasional scene the really gets you; you pretty much get used to it the rest of the time, but every half-hour or so you get to an area where you can really notice it again, and then the re-wince. :p )

...and except in games where lighting is pretty much a fundamental aspect of the mood or gameplay, I don't see them getting more attention than other details, so they'll probably remain offputting for the forseeable future.

For me, Heavenly Sword shadows are pretty good usually and amazing because everything has shadow, usually nice and clean. My wince game for shadows is motorstorm. Sometimes looks good but sometimes very bad and moving around.

Thank you for these pictures my friend. I like that this game has 60fps but for the graphics are not amazing. Bad ground texture is very disappointing for me. Only problem for me for sometimes very amazing Resistance is average textures and I thought they will fix this with good streaming. Maybe I am crazy but for me this looks like old Ratchet and Clank with higher resolution and more shiny surfaces. Probably I am crazy.

No you are not crazy my friend! :smile:

I don't recall any dynamic shadows from explosions in the trailers I've seen. Admittedly I haven't been looking for them, but it's not something I've noticed as I've followed the shadow situation. AFAICS some surfaces don't receive shadows. There's some platforms for example that don't. In this screenshots case I guess whatever those robots are standing on is a non-shadowing surface. Whatever, I just don't get it! Shadows are RnC's weakest point, and I don't understand why.

I am shure it is about pefomance, dynamic shadows and lots of them tend to affect perfomance drastically.

Lots of dynamic shadows? We're seeing one shadow per character for a half-dozen characters. CON on PS2 had 3 dynamic shadows per character with more as many on screen as this! That also doesn't explain disappearing shadows when the main character moves over different surfaces. Nor the lousy shadow pop-in when coming in to land. The shadows are strangely primitive in the current build.

Lots of dynamic shadows? We're seeing one shadow per character for a half-dozen characters. CON on PS2 had 3 dynamic shadows per character with more as many on screen as this! That also doesn't explain disappearing shadows when the main character moves over different surfaces. Nor the lousy shadow pop-in when coming in to land. The shadows are strangely primitive in the current build.

I was not implying that it has lots of dynamic shadows. I meant the reason they dont have it is becouse of perfomance reasons, what else could it be? :smile:

For me, Heavenly Sword shadows are pretty good usually and amazing because everything has shadow, usually nice and clean. My wince game for shadows is motorstorm. Sometimes looks good but sometimes very bad and moving around.
Like I said, not every shadow gets enough attention, which is what knocks you "out of the zone" in a game. Like running across a particularly low-res texture, or a poorly finished model, or a braindead AI/canned animation/non-phsyics-based physical response...

HS just had the occasional groaner of a shadow, and shadowing in general I don't think will get tightened up as much as other details in games for the forseeable future. They're still a "nice extra" (something low down on the importance-to-resource-allocation ratio [both cash and system]) rather than a primary graphical feature, it seems.

Yes, before anyone gets the wrong impression - I personally think the game looks incredible.

Back