[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

I have on my DVR the G4TV coverage from today and the description notes that it includes a R&C demo.

But I won't be able to watch it for a day or two.

When is the new R&C due ? How come it's not highlighted in E3 ?

I would have loved to see a bit more of this game, strange that it got so little air time during Sony's conference.

If they keep to their usual schedule, it should be released around November this year.

I have been hunting high and low for coverage on this game. I was told it's playable in E3, but the amount of info I could scrap together was really thin. :(

Finally found some today:

Here's a 5 minute gameplay video: http://betav2.gamersyde.com/stream_11556_en.html

Here's the mechanics (One of 'em anyway):
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/04/ratchet-and-clank-take-a-cue-from-cursor10/

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time brings Ratchet’s robotic sidekick, Clank, back as a playable character. In this game Clank was carrying carrying a golden staff that allows him to activate time pods.

When Clank stands a time pod he can record up to a minute of actions. After Clank is done time rewinds and a holographic Clank carries out the recorded actions. This feature was demonstrated with a puzzle where Clank needs to stand on two switches at the same time to open a door.

... [Example of puzzle solving]...

I am myself pretty curious why Insomniac is being so careless regarding the data of this game. R2 info release last year was so well done that by the time the first gameplay was to be shown at GT, we were all pumped up and ready to grab it up.
But look at this one, the gamelpay just appeared out of nowhere on GT and poof, everybody vanishes !

I am myself pretty curious why Insomniac is being so careless regarding the data of this game. R2 info release last year was so well done that by the time the first gameplay was to be shown at GT, we were all pumped up and ready to grab it up.
But look at this one, the gamelpay just appeared out of nowhere on GT and poof, everybody vanishes !

I think they've learned their lesson, actually. R2 was (and is) a fantastic game, but the build up for it simply worked against it. Expectations were too high, which was a large part of the reason the game had so much backlash.

They are just playing their cards close to their chest.

Though, truth be told, this isn't that different from the last Ratchet release, it was very similar.

R&C should not fall into that R2 trap -- as long as Insomniac stays true to the franchise (No abrupt and total changes).

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/interview-with-brian-allegier-about-ratchet--214.html

GU: Yea, so does that mean the levels will be a lot less linear?

BA: Right, this is an example of a very wide open non-linear level where you can pick where you want to approach the battle. Here we've got on the radar the 3 different key targets I need to take out.

GU: Will there be any older weapons making an appearance?

BA: Yes, we’re bringing back some old weapons from Tools of Destruction and if you have a save game on Tools of Destruction you'll get these weapons a lot quicker.
New interview :cool: . Haven't read it yet !

Last edited by a moderator:
ss_preview_rcf207.tif.jpg

rcf206.tif.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.pt/gallery.php?game_id=11373&article_id=658609#anchor

New Screens and Concept Art From A Crack in Time :cool: !

Nice ! Been waiting to throw Disco Ball at new enemies.

Couldn't tell which is screen shot at first glance.

I like the new colours ! Hope this game turns out real good ! They should take lessons from Infamous for balanced, addictive gameplay, but I think it must be late for that.

This and inFAMOUS are two different types of games.

And you act as though Insomniac didn't plan to make a good game at all. Why should they "take notes" from Sucker Punch to make "balanced and addictive gameplay"? Do you not think that's one of their goals with every game they make?

This and inFAMOUS are two different types of games.

And you act as though Insomniac didn't plan to make a good game at all. Why should they "take notes" from Sucker Punch to make "balanced and addictive gameplay"? Do you not think that's one of their goals with every game they make?

A person never stops learning tha_con ! Why are you so defensive about anything Insomniac ?

I like their games too, but that doesn't stop me from being crititcal, in fact, that is part of being a fan! I find Infamous better as a platformer than R&C:TOD , so I made that comment. I know they are different games, but weren't both of these devs making platformers last gen? Infamous is still basically a platformer+Shooter, that is what Tools of Destruction aspired to be too. TOD was good, but most of its appeal was still its awesome visuals than rock solid gameplay. In fact, one of my dreams is to haqve an open world Ratchet Game, that is why the comparison. They are going for bigger, open levels this time around, as told in the interview, which is good direction,IMO.

Insomniac, Sucker punch and Naughty Dog, all three of them made kids games last gen(all platformers) and all three of them have come out with best gameplays this gen ! One of the reasons for that is that making kids games puts more focus on gamplay than graphics. Their better knowledge and experience in gameplay is showing this gen Learning from each other will only improve these studios not mar them. I am sure Insomniac is already looking at these other studios for lessons and inspirations. Such thiongs never stop. Studios and game designers always learn form each other and life itself.

Its ok to be a fan tha_con, just don't bring up a shield at every instance :LOL: ! and don't make me feel like I hate insomniac, I am one of their biggest fans :cool: !

My hope is that they don't tone the levels down or eliminate boss fights after you've beaten a level. It would make weapon leveling much more easy, and sometimes you want to fight a boss again without playing the whole game over again. They could get rid of the cut scenes and such, but let me replay the game play. Oh and no ugly ugly ugly best armor that covers ratchets face during cut scenes. Oh and did I mention it was ugly in ToD?

A person never stops learning tha_con ! Why are you so defensive about anything Insomniac ?

I like their games too, but that doesn't stop me from being crititcal, in fact, that is part of being a fan! I find Infamous better as a platformer than R&C:TOD , so I made that comment. I know they are different games, but weren't both of these devs making platformers last gen? Infamous is still basically a platformer+Shooter, that is what Tools of Destruction aspired to be too. TOD was good, but most of its appeal was still its awesome visuals than rock solid gameplay. In fact, one of my dreams is to haqve an open world Ratchet Game, that is why the comparison. They are going for bigger, open levels this time around, as told in the interview, which is good direction,IMO.

!

You really think Infamous is a better platformer? The system in Infamous was great because it let you cover great distances with ease and without having to worry about falling off of a building all the time, but I wouldn't want a true platformer with lock-on jumping. There is zero skill involved in Infamous' traversal mechanics, and that's just no fun in a platformer imo.
I also think that the gameplay in ToD was in fact rock solid. The visuals were just the icing on the cake.
Also, a handful of big, intricately designed levels >>> over an open world. (Despite the nice explosions in Red Faction the game bored me out of my skull after an hour.)
I think one of R&C's greatest strengths is the diverse level design, with an icy pirate planet (complete with northern lights in the sky) in one level, to a weird science base in outer space in another.
Splitting the game into individual levels gives Insomniac a lot more creative freedom.

Back