[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

I played through the entire first act last night, which took me almost 6 hours. I know that that's probably above the average I'm sure, but I've made a very conscience decision to take my sweet time with this game. I want to sit back and take as much of it in as possible and not rush a single pixel to go by. The level of enjoyment has gotten to the point where I am so into the story/game that when a cutscene comes on I happily put my controller down and watch--even if it's only a few minutes long.

I am sitting here stunned at how compelling this game is in every sense of the gamers imagination. I dont remember the last time I played a game where I was so engrossed with the fiction. It is just so well done on every level! The amount of polish is something other developers should admire and strive for, for the bar has been raised.

Also, I was a little surprised (pleasantly) that this installment seems to have a little more humor in it than the previous games. Not much, but the level of humor has definitely been raised over previous MGS games.

Oh and the graphics--when I say "graphics" I'm sort of lumping everything under visual appeal into that (design, aesthetics, art direction)--are absolutely incredible. When I first began playing the game I had made this mental acknowledgement that it was on par with Uncharted, but now that I've made it through the first act and 5 minutes into the second, I can clearly say that this is above and beyond anything on the PS3 and most likely the X360. I cannot count how many times I said "wow" to myself during my play time last night.

There was this point, probably a few hours into the game, where something just hit me--that this game was truely something special. There is just so much to do and there are so many options in regards to approach, weapons, and combat.

I cannot wait to get home and play some more to see where this game takes me.

That same thing hit me about 20 mins back!:D
This game ROCKS!

After this every game will feel bland.
The same thing happened to me when Iplayed MGS3 last year. After playing that every other game just felt so shallow.........

It has happened again, only this time both the gameplay and the story have meshed together so well!The way cutscenes blend into gameplay is so cool!:cool:

BTW, I am still in ACT1, just defeated FROGS, so I am not much inside the game as yet, but all my wishes have come true! Even things I hadn't expected, like the multiple gameplay options, have been so well done!

BTW, I am still in ACT1, just defeated FROGS, so I am not much inside the game as yet, but all my wishes have come true! Even things I hadn't expected, like the multiple gameplay options, have been so well done!

Its only just starting. :LOL:

It took me 30 hours first time.

My only current complaint is
Lack of a boss battle options after beating the game, and a lack of a viewer for the emblems/medals at the end. I hope they add these two things into the substance/subsistence version, which i would buy in a heart beat IF those two things are included

Everything else, the story/art/cutscenes/gameplay is top notch.

did anyone else catch
the subtle hint during the video with all the previous MG games that there might be 2 more?, if there are going to be, i would love for one to be set during WW2 with the Boss gathering up the Cobra unit.

I beat it the second day it was out. As for the first day (I picked it up at midnight!) I played for 13 hours straight!

As for the game itself, I found it to be excellent. Only graphical thing for me to complain about was the shadow map jaggies (can some one tell me their method, I don't think it was deferred shadowing) as they were extremely noticeable at times, but as for the actual character models, they looked extremely excellent, at almost all times, I could never pick out a polygon or polygonal facet at all which is extremely impressive. Other than that, I feel accomplished now that the story has come full circle for Snake and this last installment in the series really did the series justice. Many kudos also to the new camera systems for shooting both in the 3rd and 1st as well as balancing them with the rotateable view so the game doesn't have to become another shooter fest (you can only run in 3rd person rotateable). Great game, and about damn time it came out.

just finished...

anyone else find the boss battles too easy?

as for gamepro saying its only 1/3 cutscenes, they must have been inching the whole time

Beat the game last night as well. Simply unbelievable. Everything from art-direction, game-mechanics, production value, character depth, story telling is imense, truly spectacular. I'm lost for words.

I'll be replaying the game on hard now to see what details I've missed (more than plenty, I'd guess, given how absolutely huge it is).

The boss battles are epic and truly frightning. After Snake Eater, I didn't think they could best them in MGS4, but they have IMO, even when by different means.

Criticism / Disappointment(?) [Only read when you've completed the game]:
Despite my admiration for the game, I do have to say though, that I would have loved to see more gameplay resembling ACT 2 (or that of Snake Eater). ACT 3 wasn't all that much, besides stalking and the chase sequence and ACT 5 more of an action game with a very narrow path. ACT 3 was great for a MGS game, but apart from the epic boss battle, not all that much. In other words - ACT 1 and 2 were the most enjoyable with the most MGS gameplay parts. I would have loved to have more of them. I guess in other words - I would have enjoyed more gameplay segments where you're droped in to an area under enemy control and have to infiltrate that area by using stealth for the most part.

Despite all that though, and only having completed the game 8 hours ago, I guess I have to let a few things sink in first and playing the game over the entire weekend made it a shorter game to me than it really was. Maybe what I'm feeling is the disappointment of having completed one of the greatest games of all times - and the last one of the series.

Despite it being the last of the series, I would love to see another MGS game on the PS3 - see what else they do with the engine. Perhaps a remake of Snake Eater...

just finished...

anyone else find the boss battles too easy?

as for gamepro saying its only 1/3 cutscenes, they must have been inching the whole time

Thats why there are 3 difficulties higher than the default. The hardest one you have to unlock by beating the game.

Please tell me you aren't just guessing that you know somehow, i dont care how. Because this would make this game just 10x more epic.

I know ! I can't wait to play Rage Against The Machine in the Background and screw stealth and Kill all the gaurds !
(Once I have finished it properly though!;))

You guys might find it amusing that I took 6 hrs to finish Act 1 ;) !
I am in Act 2:Snake eater all the way !

I am nearing the end of Act 4 and I almost cannot beleive how amazing this game is. No wait! It's not amazing--it's phenominal! Kojima has certainly out done himself here. I cannot wait to see how all this wraps up as I feel like I'm so close.

There is so much that I want to write but cannot. There is just too much to say and not enough time for me to write it all.

I know ! I can't wait to play Rage Against The Machine in the Background and screw stealth and Kill all the gaurds !
(Once I have finished it properly though!;))

You guys might find it amusing that I took 6 hrs to finish Act 1 ;) !
I am in Act 2:Snake eater all the way !

Holy crap you read my mind. :oops:

Calm like a bomb, vietnow, Guerrilla Radio and Bullet in the head would go perfect with Act 1.

Back