[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Well, personally I tend to do it for myself primarily, I love puzzles. But feedback is very important too no doubt. I do hope that the rest of the post makes clear I was moving beyond that opening paragraph ...

Sure. I just had a bit of a rant! :mrgreen:

Still, if the tagline is, "Play, Create, Share," then clearly the whole sharing-what-you've-done thing is a Big Thing, but it's something that's upsetting a lot of folk because they're basically unable to, short of leaving the game and putting on a salemanship hat as they go door-to-door across social websites trying to drum up trade. Or as per the TV advert, "the whole world is making you games," yet if the 'you' will never play your work, what is the point in making those games?

But then you're not just competing with other LBP levels for exposure, but the whole internet. Every LBP level would become the equivalent of another Flash game. You'd get maybe a couple of hundred plays, versus a couple of dozen. There'd be no means to get mainstream exposure unless you get a lucky break.

At least it is possible to get into mainstream exposure ! ^_^ The size and convenience advantages are still there. It would be a leg up against the current living room base. It's not just the population, it's how and how often people use Internet.

Plus such a technology would have to exist, which is very unlikely to ever appear. ;) Whatever could be done for LBP3, LBP2 is what it is now.

For playback only ? They can always start with YouTube first. They don't even have to do in LBP2 itself. They can do it in a separate LBP2 publisher.

For playback only ? They can always start with YouTube first. They don't even have to do in LBP2 itself. They can do it in a separate LBP2 publisher.
Whether YouTube would get more plays or not, it's certainly a feature LBP2 is crying out for considering it's movie mode. Then again maybe Sony feel they want people buying LBP2 to see the movies?? They could even render a movie 'offline' over a period of time with better IQ, and then upload it. Even if not, a straight direct movie will be far, far better than the handicam off-screen captures we're currently working with.

Then again maybe Sony feel they want people buying LBP2 to see the movies??

Yes, therein lies the decision whether Sony wants to expand its business model. They are testing out microtransactions with MLB The Show 2011, then there is also the SOE Freemium games.

Just a question, in LBP2 can you code in power ups, special moves and physics for Sackboy ? Or are you limited to what they give you ? I sort of give it a go at the store the other day and didn't like how loose everything feels. I like my platformers tight like Mario, GnG or Megaman. Can you do that in LBP2 ?

Just a question, in LBP2 can you code in power ups, special moves and physics for Sackboy ?
Yes, ish. On a small scale. You can only capture animations, so can't do much beyond want an SB can do animation wise, but you can take control of movements and rotation, enabling things like somersault jumps, maybe teleportation (spawn a SB forwards from the current one and then delete the old one), shooting things, wall climbing.

Or are you limited to what they give you ? I sort of give it a go at the store the other day and didn't like how loose everything feels. I like my platformers tight like Mario, GnG or Megaman. Can you do that in LBP2 ?
The phyiscs are ever present and floaty. In fact it turns out the whole engine is "lose and floaty". Sensors that have a range have a small rim around in which the sensor state doesn't change. That is, if you sensor range for a tag is 10, and the tag is 11 squares away, it won't register as on until it gets 9 squares aqway, well within the specified range. And then it won't switch off until it get's outside 10 squares away. this is for stability, but it also means the switching isn't tight. And strangely this buffer zone is a percentage of the sensor range, so huge sensors have enormous no-man-lands where a switch should activate and doesn't.

That philosophy underlies the whole LBP universe it appears, kinda like handcrafted with bits of rag and paper so a little bit floppy and wonky in places. ;) You can disable gravity and take full control of movement for any object though, so changing SB's platforming mechanics is certainly possible. Just use movers with 100% deceleration in the X direction and a rigged jump mechanic, and it'll be as tight as any old-skool platformer, although getting the finery of the logic to work bug free may be a fair exercise.

Just a question, in LBP2 can you code in power ups, special moves and physics for Sackboy ? Or are you limited to what they give you ? I sort of give it a go at the store the other day and didn't like how loose everything feels. I like my platformers tight like Mario, GnG or Megaman. Can you do that in LBP2 ?

You are not even limited to Sackboy. I played an awesome Pacman level the other day, and before that I played a Donkey Kong version that looked and played exactly like the original, including an 8bit Mario character:

This one is from the beta, the one I played looks 100% like the original game:

Here's Donkey Kong:

And I played this one too, which I thought was pretty awesome, as I played it just before I downloaded the demo of the proper PS3 game and it wasn't even all that different :LOL:

Thanks Shifty and Arwin.

I watched the vids Arwin posted, and watched several more after that and saw someone trying to recreate NES Super Mario, though wasn't very good, did anyone managed to map Super Mario in LBP2 one to one ? I am just trying to gauge as how powerful the tools are.

I tend to look for original content more, and I have little love for Mario personally (I hate the jumping ironically), but sometimes I check these things out for instance when they show up in the Mm picks playlist. This one looks nice though, with powerups:

Thanks, yeah I prefer original content too, I just want to gauge the power of the tools. Can you squash and bend objects in LBP2, everything seems to be hard in that game. But yeah I'll probably pick this up next week, the Move patch should be soon (I hope).

Got it today and played it with my nephew and had a complete blast. Most fun out of KZ3, RnC:ACIT and LBP2 !!!! The levels look so damn polished this time around. Grappling Hook and bounce pads are great and make everything more fun :D !

Hey ! I forgot the controls for slapping the other sackboys :LOL: ! How do you slap the fellow sackboy ?

Thanks, yeah I prefer original content too, I just want to gauge the power of the tools. Can you squash and bend objects in LBP2.
No, all the physics objects are fixed sizes, aprat from some flexible objects like the signature cloth tree. No warping makes sense from a processing cost position, but a lack of in-game resizing objects seems a bit of a limitation. I guess their physics engine is very optimised and changing the size of objects mid-physics events would break that, so it's not happening.

Hey ! I forgot the controls for slapping the other sackboys :LOL: ! How do you slap the fellow sackboy ?
Hold L2/R2 to independently control left and right arms on the thumcsticks. When you have control o f an arm, bring it in front of your SB's body and then quickly swipe it. It's quite easy to miss the slap and just wave the arm.

And yeah, they game is 10x better played with kids. ;)

Yeah picked up the game, the control is really wonky. Is there anyway to use the d-pad ?

No, all the physics objects are fixed sizes, aprat from some flexible objects like the signature cloth tree. No warping makes sense from a processing cost position, but a lack of in-game resizing objects seems a bit of a limitation. I guess their physics engine is very optimised and changing the size of objects mid-physics events would break that, so it's not happening.

Adding soft-body physics shouldn't be too hard, it might brake their lighting engine but should be doable.

Yeah picked up the game, the control is really wonky. Is there anyway to use the d-pad ?
Not in the main game, but you can in user creations, and many remakes have tight, immediate control.
Adding soft-body physics shouldn't be too hard, it might brake their lighting engine but should be doale.
I'm not so sure. It's certainly doable in principle, but I'm not convinced the performance is there. For one thing LBP's physics are always active for the whole level. Create 1000 boxes off screen falling into a pile, and when you walk there, they'll have landed and collapsed. Throwing in soft body physics into that mix is going to greatly increase resource consumption (different mesh for every deformed object, rather than one rigid mesh for all copies) which will affect how much stuff creators could add. I can imagine a gloop material that is fairly untextured and with other limits, but I can't see all objects getting a soft-body mechanic.

When the latest patch came out for LBP2 and fixed very little with it's 16 MBs or whatever it was, there was rumouring of significant DLC which I wondered if that was the Move support.

As for larger school adoption, that's a lot of money on a PS3 with no decent educational backing, so why would any school invest? I can see teachers with a PS3 at home bringing theirs in, but I can't see a school buying a PS3 just for LBP2, and it's no more use beyond that as PCs do everything else.

When the latest patch came out for LBP2 and fixed very little with it's 16 MBs or whatever it was, there was rumouring of significant DLC which I wondered if that was the Move support.

As for larger school adoption, that's a lot of money on a PS3 with no decent educational backing, so why would any school invest? I can see teachers with a PS3 at home bringing theirs in, but I can't see a school buying a PS3 just for LBP2, and it's no more use beyond that as PCs do everything else.

Actually as a device for playing back video, BluRay, DVD and so on it is not so easy to get a PC that does a similar thing for 279, and then you've got LBP2 as well. ;) Of course I agree that applications are likely to be limited, but I do believe there is a lot of potential in LBP2 for teaching (a *lot*). And there is significant investment being made there that I think we'll see more of. I've also been very drawn to LBP2 for that reason myself - lots of ideas on how to use that and lots of potential.

Indeed. I have used LBP for tuition and it creates a very engaging format. Schools aren't going to buy a PS3 for this though. Isn't going to happen. They don't need BluRay playback. Every PC in English schools has a DVD drive that plays DVDs on Media Player, and they use YouTube and lots of online resources. The same money spent on a PC will get you 100x the opportunities to use the hardware.

Unlses there's an incredible amount of content created in this campaign, provided free for the cost of a PS3, the economics aren't there and I'll be very surprised if it sees noteworthy amounts of adoption beyond a few avant-garde schools, like all these consoles-in-education strategies.

You may well be right. It is possible though that some schools would just get one single PS3, who knows.

Back