[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

I had a bit of slow-down on Saturday, but at all other times it was very smooth and fast. Finished the first three or four worlds, and worked through most of the creation tutorials as well (I watched a fair few of them, because quite a lot of new stuff and some of the old stuff needs refreshing too). The direct control stuff is cool. Have done some really tiny experiments with that, and also tilt controls, but it's not as easy as it looks. But all the logic circuits are really awesome. Very cool to be able to program stuff in such detail. I was already thinking about what kind of clever stuff you could do with having a sensor on your bullet, and then have enemies avoid those in some smart way.

I had some technical slowdown in the Avalon level when things were going really fast at some point (not giving details to avoid spoilers) I had a lot of tear (this was 720p). On the other hand I have no noticeable pixel crawl or anything and picture quality is really smooth, but that could partly be because I'm playing in 720p mode on a 768p screen with no 1:1 pixel mapping possible.

I was watching my brother and his girlfriend play together yesterday. Looked like the levels were more fun that the first one, but there were a few jumping issues that I'm not happy to see again. There was a series of angled platforms they had to jump up, and in that situation the jumping still seems incredibly messed up. They were having so much trouble making these small jumps because their sackboys wouldn't get any elevation. The grappling hooks like like a lot of fun, and there were some inventive uses of springs/bumpers to swing up and over things. I think that its a game that's a lot more fun when you're playing with someone, and my attempts to play the first one online were pretty horrible, with all of the physics based objects moving erratically and being out of sync between the players. Did anyone have this experience with the first one that doesn't see the same thing in the second?

At least with the story levels in LBP2 there should be far fewer issues I think. The designer were obviously well aware of the limitations this time and didn't just ignore them (the hamster wheel of death in the first game springs to mind - a level that might have been fun to traverse with Mario or Donkey Kong, just not with poor floaty Sackboy).
The story levels have a great flow, consistently mix things up, and also seem a lot less demanding than in the first game. It's fun both alone and with other people I'd say. Like with the first game, a couple of things, like acing a level for example (which I'm having a lot of fun with atm), are a lot simpler when you don't have to worry about other sackboys accidentally grappling your own ass in the middle of a tricky jump.

Yes, but only if you approve it in your profile though! You can determine what goes to lbp.me and if it should be public. But yeah, I mentioned the queueing and it is absolutely brilliant. The MM picks is a separate queue that's in the menu by default, so you don't have to queue anything from that list necessarily.

Was playing this last night as well. For the grabinator I've found to make it easier if I just take it one step at a time. First grab it and get situated, then plan the next move. I can't do it all in one fell swoop, like grab, move and swing all in one shot so instead I just grab on then wait a bit as I sort the rest out. It helped me get past that intro grabinator level.
The swinging/jumping is still a hassle. I figured out rope swinging mechanics in the end. Basically don't use left-right swinging, but use gravity and rope length to perform slingshots. Otherwise the mechanics that involve bouncing about are still awkward and frustrating.

However, come the second world the game shows what's really possible. The cake mechanics were beautiful with dynamic platforms. I find it a bit strange they lost the icing dispenser demo'd, but the jam-covered cakes are just as good. Likewise there is a later minigame puzzle that involves controlling two of you simultaneously. Overall LBP2 offers a lot more experiences than just the jumping, which means there's lots more fun to be had.

I like it so far although the music isn't as catchy as the first one yet.
Definitely agree here. I ahven't heard much that I like in LBP2, even disabling music where I loved it in LBP1. The original musics had a lot more joy to them. LBP2 doesn't capture that same spirit. I'll even say that of the whole game. It's a lot more flashy and loud and brash overall. I miss the gently, typically English charm of the original. I also don't like
what they did with the original characters, resigning them to the loony bin. It's like MM abandoned the old where they should have included them in part of the story as needing help, to show it's all the same universe and all are welcome.

I don't like the heavy aliasing, it looks like there are ant colonies running around every contrast edge which looks bad.
Generally in play I didn't notice aliasing that much, and the IQ is otherwise superb. Aliasing is very striking in create mode though, with lots of edge jittering even in stationary views of stationary objects. 4xMSAA would be very welcome in those cases. We'll have to wait for PS4's LBP!

I completed Story mode over the weekend with about 90% stuff collected for creating with. The movies are stellar, and the story much better as a story than the original, although I didn't care for it myself. It felt a little forced IMO. I'd have liked something a little fluffier from LBP. I've loved the visuals which are simply beautiful in places, and I love the ingenuity. The variety is excellent even if there are still more occassions than I'd like when I'm annoyed that the character/robot-being-ridden isn't doing what I want it to. I look forward to seeing more and more content and ideas develop, and really hope the best is made of this fabulous engine.

How do you find the MP play ? Does it still lag with 3-4 players like in LBP1 ?

After using these settings on my ps3 and router, I never had any lag in LBp ever. before that I couldn't play online due to the lag, but after these settings, no lag whatsoever. The problem wasn't with the game:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/Solution-for-your-DNS-error-80710102-problems-Works-for-all-ISP/m-p/42264211

http://forums.littlebigworkshop.com/t5/General-Discussion/LITTLE-BIG-PLANET-UPDATE-ERROR/td-p/30544/page/2

Hm…. there're a lot of settings in these posts. Some of them should not affect net performances. Did you forward ports or open firewall holes in your latest settings ?

Is there a way to find out where a SackBoy comes from during invite stage ? Also, is the net performance improved compared to LBP1 at all ? (i.e., do your other LBP2 MP sessions feel equally laggy ? Does it lag only with overseas SackBoys ?)

Can you join someone who is in create mode? I got a message saying Shifty wanted to join me just as I left create mode. But he was no longer playing LBP2 at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm…. there're a lot of settings in these posts. Some of them should not affect net performances. Did you forward ports or open firewall holes in your latest settings ?

Hmmm... I am poor at net stuff, but I used the free DNS server addresses and , I gave my ps3 a static IP and put that somewhere in the router settings.
I didn't forward any ports. The game was unplayable in co-op earlier, but after these settings, I played 4 player co-op with no hassles at all.

There could have been something else I did too, I am on a mobile device right now, I'll chk later.

Sorry, didn't mean to try and join. I was waiting to play Castle Crashers with a friend, and was exploring the community options while waiting for him to come online, and wanted to find your hearted levels. Was clicking around things getting not very far, then clicked your portrait and suddenly I was trying to join! At which point I quit the game.

I did have a request from a friend to join me in my create mode. I imagine that side is working now with the option for creators to start work and have 'team-mates' jump in and help out. In fact for team builds which MM likes, they should have a server-based level system. Basically allow private or public access to a level with full editing rights. There'd be a problem with vandals, so I'd go with just private access to a whitelist of users and with abckups to local account every time you upload changes, but the upside to this would be an ongoing project that doesn't need the project chief to be online editing on their PS3, and won't have a problem with two people accessing and editing content locally and then uploading at the same time losing one of their's work.

Sorry, didn't mean to try and join. I was waiting to play Castle Crashers with a friend, and was exploring the community options while waiting for him to come online, and wanted to find your hearted levels. Was clicking around things getting not very far, then clicked your portrait and suddenly I was trying to join! At which point I quit the game.

Ah ok. I though the game might have delayed the message since I was in create mode.

It's easy to accidentily join someone. Press X on someone's name and it'll try to join. While pressing Triangle will invite them, and Square will let you go to their planet. I would have preferred selecting it from a menu instead of assigning it to different buttons.

I like it the way it is. Very fast and easy. Really doesn't need any menu clutter. Sure, you might try to join/add someone accidentally at first, but you'll get used to it quickly.

Well, unless it clearly explains this somewhere it is a tad confusing. For the record I don't have a manual! I would expect a menu at least on a X button say, with shortcuts also available. As it is, I have no idea how to look up someone's hearted levels. Ther were three icons under Cornsnake's planet that I could change, but they didn't change any of what I was seeing on the planet, and L1/R1 didn't take me to other parts of this planet showing hearted levels as it did in LBP1.

Back