PS3 launch titles confirmed?

Nesh said:
Motorstorm is promising and has some interesting ideas. Lair and Resistance are as well interesting. Its too soon to judge but they are all exclusives being made by good developers.

Note how quickly he has dismissed them, with very little info on any of them. That says it all really.

All of these games as is are "untested".

On a more general note, this would be a nowhere near complete list even if the titles that are on it are accurate (and probably are..we'll see about Tekken, though). The lineup will be a lot clearer at E3. I think it has the potential to be very broad and very decent at the very least, though.

In that list, games that I'll probably buy during launch period (if that really is the complete launch list, nothing added, nothing omitted...) are:

Tekken - A PS launch I just got to have a Tekken game even though I'm not a great big fan of fighters, Tekkens have been fun and easy to get into and get accustomed with the new console and a showcase of early generation great graphics.

Lair - I'll likely buy this just for the graphical quality, but I hope the game play will surprise with it's deepness (but I doubt it)

Motorstorm - To fill the racing game gap at launch, and it should be a fun game by what I've seen.

Resistance - to fill the fps/adventure game at launch. The Insomiac should guarantee it'll be better than average.

Rest of the games I'll likely pass - Tom Clancy games (or anything of that brand for that matter) have thus far bored the hell out of me, so I think I'll pass them and the R6:LV this coming gen too.
Untold Legends... just too average really (or below, if the early impressions based on just pics are to go by, and these "Legends" line of games have also bored me even though I haven played them, just by looking at them)
John Woo... doesn't look to be interesting enough so I'd buy it.

Sonic I'd still buy if it's 100% better than the Sonic games this gen.

I don't think this will be the ultimate launch games list though. I'm sure other companies have something to add, and some games might even be delayed.
This looks more like a list of games from companies that are either Sony 1st party or very close third party like Namco with Tekken (a synonym with Playstation launch).
I'm positive there'll be at least twise as lon list when the other 3rd parties add to the launch list, and even some 1st party surprises might be added to the "launch period" (whatever that might be nowadays :) )

As the list is now, it's not the bes one can think of for a launch, but it's pretty much on the lower end of expectations.
Tekken and Motorstorm would themselves be enough to keep me happy enough for a month or two. It would still be more games than I buy in average. A game per every two months is about what i can digest).
It's just only the launch after all.
I personally don't hold the quantity of launch games that important, hjell I'd probably be happy enough if it launched with just Tekken and the other games would come a month or two after that, I usually prefer to play one game through, or until I get bored if it's not that good anyway. Of course at launch I'd be more eager to sample what the machine can do with various titles, but I'm not that impatient.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you look at the limited footage of MS and say it'll be fun? Using your own technique, we wouldn't need game reviews to determine how fun a game will be.

NANOTEC said:
How can you look at the limited footage of MS and say it'll be fun? Using your own technique, we wouldn't need game reviews to determine how fun a game will be.
Hell, the tech demo even looked fun imo. And from Phil Harrison, they were just showing off the tech, I'm waiting for e3 to see what more of the true game will contain to get a better read on things, but like rabidrabbit said, so far it looks fun. (like it or not thats my opinion)

NANOTEC said:
It'll be fun enough for me, I'm sure :D
There's no thechnique, just empirical guessing based on developer track record and footage shown, as is expected when speculating about anything not yet materialised.
No need to get arguative (is that a word?) about simple speculations as that's what this thread is all about until reviews of launch games are available.

Besides, how can you look at the limited footage of Dead Rising and Lost Planet, and say
NANOTEC said:
First of all DR is pure madness in a good way!

Second LP, looks very nice.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29950&page=2

What do we know about the Warhawk release date? I'm more excited about that than everything on that list (except Lair) combined.

I don’t think they will give a launch line-up list half a year before the system launches. Also, I wouldn’t want to be given a ‘potential’ list only to have half of the titles removed two weeks before launch.

I would rather have playables of games that are well in development and might make it on the launch window or a couple of months afterwards. See videos/trailers of games that would come later, and a list of all the games in the works (in the hundreds, I know) that won’t come till Q4 of next year and beyond.

Legend said:
I don’t think they will give a launch line-up list half a year before the system launches. Also, I wouldn’t want to be given a ‘potential’ list only to have half of the titles removed two weeks before launch.
I don't trust launch game announcements. Seems to me the last 3 hardware releases have been accompanied by talk of hundreds of titles in development and huge numbers available at launch, and all you ever really get are a handful, of which normally only a couple are worth anyone's money unless you're a die-hard fan of a franchise/genre. I expect at best a dozen titles when PS3 launches, though hopefully there'll be some good ones in there as they've had so long to develop them. There could perhaps be more due to the long development time too, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it, even if word gets out of 50+ titles for PS3 at launch.

I am sure that the PS3 will have a great launch, nothing like the PS2 launch. There are many interesting exclusives that could make it to launch but even more important the mutliplatform games should be much better than what they were during xbox360 launch. While during the 360 launch you had xbox1 to 360 ports now atleast the games will be targeted for the next gen hardware and the PS3 will surely benefit from developers that have been working on a next gen hardware like the xbox360 for some time now...

Nesh said:
360's launch information before launch was less interesting, with few exclusives , being PGR3, PDZ, DOA4 and Kameo. 3 being sequels and Kameo a game that has been in development for years on different platforms.

Yet you conveniently leave out the top selling 360 launch game.

Let me guess, it's also 'multiplatform' because it was on PC. :rolleyes: For the mainstream gamer PC does not really compete with consoles. So, COD2 was a console exclusive, you might not care, but anyone without a gaming rig probably thinks it was a pretty good exclusive, and you can be sure it sold it's fair share of systems.

I think the lineup is decent, warhawk, lair and motorstorm all show promise, tekken is cool, that's a potentially great launch lineup for sure, espeically when you toss in teh cross platform titles. The only problem is the expectations consumers have for PS3, expectations that will probably not be met, and frustrated PS3-hunters will be facing in-stock 360's with 2nd generation games, and most of the best games are cross platform (i.e. madden 07, moh:a, bia, rainbow 6, stranglehold)

scooby_dooby said:
... and most of the best games are cross platform (i.e. madden 07, moh:a, bia, rainbow 6, stranglehold)

Just to be fair, not one of those games is anywhere near my "best games coming out" list, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same. Games like Warhawk, Tekken 6, Lair, etc do excite me however.

Mordecaii said:
Just to be fair, not one of those games is anywhere near my "best games coming out" list, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same. Games like Warhawk, Tekken 6, Lair, etc do excite me however.

Well...games like Brothers in Arms 3, Madden 07, Splinter Cell 4 are gauranteed great games, they're gonna be good that's without a doubt, they will be some of the most wanted games this season. I would say the same for Tekken, but the rest are big "?"'s

scooby_dooby said:
Well...games like Brothers in Arms 3, Madden 07, Splinter Cell 4 are gauranteed great games, they're gonna be good that's without a doubt, they will be some of the most wanted games this season. I would say the same for Tekken, but the rest are big "?"'s

LOL. Thats about as big of a blanket statement as you can ever see. Almost PR material :LOL: "Gauranteed Great" -> "Good" -> "Most wanted" So in case not the first it can be the second, and at the very least the last. Hahaha. In any event though, I myself am not an American football fan, plus the last Madden 06 on X360 was a pretty sorry experience with bugs and lacking modes. You're right in that they will be "good" since they're "next-gen" however I guess.

I see PS3 launch as being no better or worse than what we've already seen. The lists haven't been confirmed and until E3 comes along I think its better not to have put our hopes up for something amazing.

They're gonna be good because they're sequals in extremely good franshises. Would you have a problem if I said the next R&C is gauranteed to be good, or the next MGS? They are as close to safe-bets as you can get.

Madden 07 may not be good, but fact is Madden is a major system seller in the US, and the 07 version will be the first truly next gen version, it will be a VERY desireable title.

There's little point in arguing over specific titles though, bottom line is 3rd party titles will be a HUGE part of the game lineup this holiday, and almost all of them are x-platform which gives people alot less reason to hold out for a PS3. PS3 launch lineup would look alot better, to me, if there wasn't such a huge wave of jaw-dropping 3rd party titles on the way.

scooby_dooby said:
PS3 launch lineup would look alot better, to me, if there wasn't such a huge wave of jaw-dropping 3rd party titles on the way.

I dunno, I dont think Sony is bummed out about having robust third party support to coincide with the launch of their hot new console. ;) I guess you're arguing PS3 wont be able to differentiate itself from a software standpoint. Personally I think Sony's first party looks pretty darn healthy heading into this launch, and their focus is in the right place (establishing new IPs out of the gate). But even if you're right, that Sony's exclusive content is going to underwhelm, I still doubt it would be much of an impact when the the hype for this machine is going to be what it is either way. The shortages will help MS pick up sales for sure, but overall its only going to feed the PS3 frenzy going into the new year, and having a prolific lineup to support as supply/demand ramps up definitely aint a bad thing for their early stretch run.

scooby_dooby said:
Yet you conveniently leave out the top selling 360 launch game.

Let me guess, it's also 'multiplatform' because it was on PC. :rolleyes: For the mainstream gamer PC does not really compete with consoles. So, COD2 was a console exclusive, you might not care, but anyone without a gaming rig probably thinks it was a pretty good exclusive, and you can be sure it sold it's fair share of systems.

I think the lineup is decent, warhawk, lair and motorstorm all show promise, tekken is cool, that's a potentially great launch lineup for sure, espeically when you toss in teh cross platform titles. The only problem is the expectations consumers have for PS3, expectations that will probably not be met, and frustrated PS3-hunters will be facing in-stock 360's with 2nd generation games, and most of the best games are cross platform (i.e. madden 07, moh:a, bia, rainbow 6, stranglehold)

Excuse me but that was a reply to superguy after he indicated that most PS3 launch games announced arent exclusive but multiplatform thus I compared exclusives announced for each console's launch to show that 360's wasnt all that more remarkable in the same area which explains why I didnt mention COD2-->Not exclusive. With the same logic you used ALL 360 games released are exclusive so far just because there is still no PS3 or Revolution in the market.

Secondly you compare a launch that didnt happen with the one that already passed. I said: "Also if you look well I said its more interesting and more promising, not a better launch. That will be judged in November" which is refering only to current announcment compared to 360's launch announcement in the same period of time before its launch. You even went to the level of using sales of COD2.

Thirdly I am talking about PS3 launch and 360 launch not PS3 launch and 360 2nd gen.

lastly I d like you to explain why you get all that upset about nothing.

Nesh said:
Excuse me but that was a reply to superguy after he indicated that most PS3 launch games announced arent exclusive but multiplatform thus I compared exclusives announced for each console's launch to show that 360's wasnt all that more remarkable in the same area which explains why I didnt mention COD2-->Not exclusive. With the same logic you used ALL 360 games released are exclusive so far just because there is still no PS3 or Revolution in the market.

No. If a game was only on PC and PS3 I would consider that a PS3 exclusive when discussing the console market. Let me know when the press release for COD2 on PS3 goes out.

Nesh said:
Secondly you compare a launch that didnt happen with the one that already passed. I said: "Also if you look well I said its more interesting and more promising, not a better launch. That will be judged in November" which is refering only to current announcment compared to 360's launch announcement in the same period of time before its launch. You even went to the level of using sales of COD2.

I wasn't comparing launches. My first paragraph was ridicule about your concepts of "exclusivity." My second paragraph was an opinion on the quality of the PS3 launch lineup, which I think is good overall, I agree these titles have promise, however I think MS is in a very good position to capitalize if these titles are not that great.

Nesh said:
lastly I d like you to explain why you get all that upset about nothing.

Who's upset? Habs ar up 1-0!! GOnna sweep Carolina! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOO...sorry bout that :devilish:

scooby_dooby said:
Let me know when the press release for COD2 on PS3 goes out.

Do you really think COD2 is a console exclusive for the Xbox360?

Versions of COD have made it to all the other platforms, I thought a version would make it to the PS3 aswell. Not sure of the value of releasing a year old game, but it does happen.

COD2 was such a monster hit on the Xbox360, Activision would be mad not to port it across to the PS3. I assume the PC version has expansion packs and these could be included to sweeten the package.

Maybe it is a time senstive exclusive, now that the PS3 has slipped to November, the exclusivity period will have finished. I wouldn't be surprised if this was on the PS3 launch list come November.

It is one of my favourite Xbox360 games, so it doesn't matter to me what happens.

weaksauce said:
Bare in mind that it was supposed to be released at this time so maybe well get some near second-gen games at launch. :)

Personally i don't think it was ever meant to be released "at this time". There is nothing even remotely complete now, so that strengthens my point. At PS3 launch, the games will be first gen launch games. No games were ever going to be released in "spring 06", so there is nothing "second gen" about the launch games. :smile:

Back