PS3 = interview with ceo of scee =

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
stolen from somwhere and he
stole this from phantast in the other thread.

link to the interview (german): http://www.golem.de/0608/47437.html

- They research markets in the different eu countries to find the best 60GB/20GB ratio. GB will have the biggest proportion of 60GBs, then France and Germany with a slightly bigger amount of 60GBs. Southern countries like Italy, Spain and Greece will have more 20GB versions.

- Only 60Gb at launch (in germany at least). 20GB might be not available from day one, but it'll come out till Christmas for sure.

- The installed HDD is made by Seagate (he's not sure though). You'll be able to upgrade it with a standard HDD. Sony will not release its own HDDs.

- The motion sensing sw tools have been added to the devkit sw package about 2-3 weeks ago.

- The production hasn't started yet, but they have all the components necessary so they just wait for a go (in south of China and near Tokyo).

- Different colors (they ask about silver explicitly) will be launched later, supposedly Q1 07.

- Confronted with: "ps3 looks like cheap plastic". The ps3 will have a polyester coating. A special polishing liquid will be available to prevent scratches

- Confronted with: "but it's black so what about the problem with fingerprints -> psp".
"I haven't touched it yet. We use gloves. We are said to use gloves."
PR-Chef Nick Staples jumps in: the ps3 will not be caried around and overly touched normaly. They used gloves to show it around, hence no fingerprints, but therefore white fluff (from the glove).

- The ps3 will boost hdtv market penetration. All devisions of sony promote the ps3: Sony Pictures (Bluray), Sony Electronics (HDTVs) and we [SCE] make sure it all works out. There will be 'PlayStation Places' in capital cities all over the world where you can experience those 3 devision coming together (PS3, HD and Bluray).

- No plans for a HD-DVD drive addon (orly?!) (
laugh.gif
)

- Confronted with the weekly sales numbers of 360 (18.000) vs ps2 (100.000) in the eu and asked about how the ps2 will be positioned during the ps3 launch; "Supposedly the ps3 will appeal to the hardcore gamer and only later broaden its demographic?"
-> "Yes. The ppl who who will buy the ps3 have a ps2 or maybe even a 360, but in the course of 1-2 years the ps2 and ps3 markets will stay separated."

- 45% of their business is now outside the eu (e.g. russia, middle east).

- There is way more preorders compared to ps2. They take preorders in Fr, Ger and UK.

altavista translation from the last part of the intervieuw

In the process of the Games Convention Golem.de also still spoke with Guido alto, the press speaker of Sony computer Entertainment Germany. In the discussion it concerned also the Xbox-360-Verkaufszahlen desired specified by Microsoft again: 6 million pieces are to have been already sold, to 10 million are it to end of 2006 to become. Doubted on the part of Sony computer Entertainment that Microsoft will reach this number really still in this year, one price reduction which can be expected and the exclusive title "Gears OF was taken into consideration".
At Microsoft one sees that differently; new purchase arguments were not stated however during the Games Convention 2006. Sony computer Entertainment wants to deliver world-wide approximately 4 million PlayStation 3 between 17 November and 31 December 2006, by March 2007 is the number on 8 million to grow. Briefly on it then the Xbox 360 is to be overhauled. However also Sony must still convince its customers, because on the Games Convention 2006 further only few really impressing and already playable PS3-Titel were to be seen behind the window blinds.
In Tokyo that could change, over 20 plays is then shown and by the public to be tried out to be able. Also Microsoft seems to wait with large announcements and presentations for the Tokyo Game show, which takes place in September 2006.

- He doubts that MS has sold 6 million 360s already and also doubts that they'll sell 10 Million before 2007, even with a price drop and Gears of War coming.

They have added some seemingly official charts (relevant for Ger):

installed base development in Germany

hw market share in 06

sales development in relation to price

sales development in relation to price + prediction for the rest of 06 at 129€ (?)

household penetration

household penetration + prediction for the rest of 06 at 129€ (?)

sw sales development

sw market share in 06

female ps2 buyers ratio

handheld market share in 06

sales development during the first 12 month (ps2 vs. psp)

handheld sw market share in 06

tie ratio (psp vs. nds)

Last edited by a moderator:
- The motion sensing sw tools have been added to the devkit sw package about 2-3 weeks ago.

Devkit version 0.91 - would this still mean Beta?

- The production hasn't started yet, but they have all the components necessary so they just wait for a go (in south of China and near Tokyo).

So? Go!

Well thanks a lot, nice interview. Regarding your listing, as i have read it, the 45% figure is for weekly ps2 sales. And Alt only doubts that ms will reach their 10m goal, not that they sold 6m so far. Interesting that the 360 already has half the xbox's market share (7% vs. 15%) in germany.

Interesting that the 360 already has half the xbox's market share (7% vs. 15%) in germany.

Are we sure that's not just 2006 unit sales?

Looking at the EU figures given, 18,000/week is pretty woeful! That also suggests that the apparent nosedive in shipments for 360 to the EU in MS's last quarter may indeed tied be to current sales in the territory rather than correcting over-supply from the previous quarter.

May be. I don't know about the weekly sales figures though. The Germany chart has the 360 at zero numbers per week till juli06. Something that is definitly not true. Also he states 100K ps2 s a week in europe, africa & middle east (+ australia & nz? not so sure whether they are part of scee) with 45k sold outside of europe. considering that the 360 hasn't been released anywhere east of germany/austria/italy pretty much evens this up.

100K ps2 s a week in europe, africa & middle east (+ australia & nz? not so sure whether they are part of scee) with 45k sold outside of europe. considering that the 360 hasn't been released anywhere east of germany/austria/italy pretty much evens this up.

45% of their business outside of Europe doesn't necessarily mean 45% of PS2s sold are sold outside of the EU currently, but asides from that, it wouldn't even things out at all.

18k/week falls right in line with the shipment MS made to europe last quarter. I pointed out when those numbers were released at their last earnings announcement that the shipment seemed to represent a nosedive in demand after launch, and pondered if it was merely a once-off correction of oversupply from the previous quarter, or reflecting on-going demand - the latter being a pretty bad sign.

Well he says 45% of console sales nowadays occur outside europe. And he explicitly talks about lots of sales in the eastern countries like russia.

Well he says 45% of console sales nowadays occur outside europe. And he explicitly talks about lots of sales in the eastern countries like russia.

Well according to the provided bullet points he says 45% of their business, which doesn't necessarily equate to 45% of PS2 hardwre sales. It's irrelevant, however, even taking that as being the case, as it neither "evens things up" or improves the 360's apparent numbers.

45% of their business outside of Europe doesn't necessarily mean 45% of PS2s sold are sold outside of the EU currently, but asides from that, it wouldn't even things out at all.

18k/week falls right in line with the shipment MS made to europe last quarter. I pointed out when those numbers were released at their last earnings announcement that the shipment seemed to represent a nosedive in demand after launch, and pondered if it was merely a once-off correction of oversupply from the previous quarter, or reflecting on-going demand - the latter being a pretty bad sign.

This doesn't make any sense..unless they sold much more 360's earlier.

In other words if 200k reflects demand, then the high numbers previously shipped must also, else it's an overcorrection.

Because if they didn't sell all the million+ they had previously shipped, then they wouldn't need to resupply the region at all. The original large quarterly shipments would basically just last forever at 18k per week.

So either the (large) original shipments sold through (more or less), or 200k doesn't reflect "ongoing demand". One or the other.

Either way, CURRENT 360 sales are probably still pretty stagnant, I'd agree.

PS3 price seems to be a large obstacle to EU for two reasons: Dont EU typically get the shaft on price after currency conversions and taxes? So the $500/$600 PS3 is really going to be more like $600/$700 in EU, not even too mention Sony doesn't seem too keen on the 20GB model at all over there, so the lower priced option may have little or no availability for the forseeable future. Also, all things equal EU seems to be a more price conscious market. I believe this was stated as one of the markets that 360 core pack was intended to target. So I believe PS3 prices will hit even harder over there. But maybe people just love the playstation brand so much all that is out the window. Luckily in just a couple months we wont have to speculate anymore.
________
BIGTITSLATIN4U

PS3 price seems to be a large obstacle to EU for two reasons: Dont EU typically get the shaft on price after currency conversions and taxes? So the $500/$600 PS3 is really going to be more like $600/$700 in EU

Well, yes and no. More no, this time. ;)

The $500/$600 PS3 is going to cost 500/600 euro. That means that we are going to pay about the same money for the PS3 at launch as we did for the PS2 at launch. All things considered, that actually means we're better off than before, considering the pricing of the PS3 in Asia.

This has much to do with the strenght of the Euro at this point, and the weakness of the dollar. Which is also the reason why the U.S. is getting shafted - thank the guy in charge of your economy for that. You can argue all you like, but that's what it basically comes down to. The War on Iraq and Terrorism has come at a high PS3 price. ;)

, not even too mention Sony doesn't seem too keen on the 20GB model at all over there

You've got it the wrong way around. We in fact don't like the 20Gb model over here. Sony's done ample research, as the recent interview indicates, and only few people are interested in the 20Gb version - most are more than willing to shell out for the 60Gb version, and Sony is just matching supply to demand.

, so the lower priced option may have little or no availability for the forseeable future. Also, all things equal EU seems to be a more price conscious market. I believe this was stated as one of the markets that 360 core pack was intended to target.

If you say so ...

So I believe PS3 prices will hit even harder over there. But maybe people just love the playstation brand so much all that is out the window. Luckily in just a couple months we wont have to speculate anymore.

Well, like I said, sure people with CURRENT PS2 prices in mind will complain, but those that remember the PS2 LAUNCH PRICES or are in the same position mentally and financially will think little of the PS3 launch price. I know a fair number of people ready to buy this machine at launch myself, and unless I'm going to try really hard, I don't think I'll be able to get one at launch. But we'll see, like you say, soon enough. ;)

and dont forget guys and girls..(?)

499 / 599 € is TAX INLUCDED
for example for belgium thats 21% included!

This doesn't make any sense..unless they sold much more 360's earlier.

In other words if 200k reflects demand, then the high numbers previously shipped must also, else it's an overcorrection.

Because if they didn't sell all the million+ they had previously shipped, then they wouldn't need to resupply the region at all. The original large quarterly shipments would basically just last forever at 18k per week.

So either the (large) original shipments sold through (more or less), or 200k doesn't reflect "ongoing demand". One or the other.

Of course, the initial shipments did sell through. My point is what happened post launch. When you look at the breakdown of quarterly shipments, the contrast between what happened in the US and what happened in Europe is startling. Europe was doing pretty OK relative to the US around launch and into the first quarter or so of the year, but thereafter the shipments plummeted compared to the shipments the US was sustaining. At the time I wondered if it was a correction for oversupply previously, but if the sales cited here are true, and are representative of the last while, it suggests it was more likely demand related. That's not good news.

PS3 price seems to be a large obstacle to EU for two reasons: Dont EU typically get the shaft on price after currency conversions and taxes? So the $500/$600 PS3 is really going to be more like $600/$700 in EU, not even too mention Sony doesn't seem too keen on the 20GB model at all over there, so the lower priced option may have little or no availability for the forseeable future.

We'll talk about PS3 in this regard when it's out and we see how the market actually reacts - I don't think the 360's performance is purely price-related, however, nor do I think the playing field is even for it in the territory at all generally. That said, I'm sure some in Europe no doubt will eagerly point out that they paid ~€500 for PS2s back at its launch, though :p (BTW, by the sounds of that interview 20GB will actually be available in some territories at launch (southern europe), and in others before the end of the year, depending on Sony's perception of price sensitivity.)

Well, 18k times 32 weeks would = 576k so far in 2006.

That's a pretty healthy number. Nearly 600k. I'd bet they sold 2-300k before Jan 1.

So you're right in that 800k-1.0 million 360's sold through in EU range to date, right where I had always pegged it. That's assuming 18k a week for all year, which there is a good chance it was much higher early in the year. You add all the numbers up and you're right in that 3.5-4.0 sold WW #.
________
Paxil Lawsuit Information

18k/week falls right in line with the shipment MS made to europe last quarter.

Considering that there are no stats on total EU sales numbers, and the figure was given as part of a question by the interviewer, doesn't it seem likely that this interviewer was simply extrapolating from MS's latest quarterly report?

How would he know what MS is selling every week?

Well I can add that in the shops I've been to, shopkeepers simply don't even try to sell the Xbox. There are no HD displays linked up to them, and some shops still don't even have a demo machine, even though they have a GameCube, DS, PSP, PS2, and XBox demo machine up. Heck they even still have a PS1 demo machine up!

I think in a large part of Europe, retail is not going to bother with next-gen until the Wii and PS3 have arrived. That's not to say they're not going to sell the 360 - far from it - but they're just going to start doing so once the three players are all there.

Well, 18k times 32 weeks would = 576k so far in 2006.

That's a pretty healthy number.

I'd have to disagree.

My concern is coming out of shipment numbers for the quarters since launch and how much Europe has dropped off compared to the US in the latest quarter. Here's the breakdown:

US/Europe
Q2: 900,000 500,000
Q3: 900,000 600,000
Q4: 1,500,000 200,000

Look at what happened - shipments actually went UP in the 3rd quarter, and dropped significantly in the 4th, even while shipments were shooting up in the US as supply issues were relieved. There's a marked contrast there, a startling one. If that's borne out of demand, that's not healthy at all. For now at least.

Considering that there are no stats on total EU sales numbers, and the figure was given as part of a question by the interviewer, doesn't it seem likely that this interviewer was simply extrapolating from MS's latest quarterly report?

I don't think that was the interviewer's question, it looks like a question Reeves was posing to the interviewer. The next thing said isn't by Reeves, but the interviewer, who goes on to say they (Golem) expect the PS2 and PS3 to maintain different positions.

How would he know what MS is selling every week?

Retail intelligence. Every publisher who makes it their business would get these figures, I've little doubt.

I'd have to disagree.

My concern is coming out of shipment numbers for the quarters since launch and how much Europe has dropped off compared to the US in the latest quarter. Here's the breakdown:

US/Europe
Q2: 900,000 500,000
Q3: 900,000 600,000
Q4: 1,500,000 200,000

Look at what happened - shipments actually went UP in the 3rd quarter, and dropped significantly in the 4th, even while shipments were shooting up in the US. There's a market contrast there, a startling one. If that's borne out of demand, that's not healthy at all.

I don't think that was the interviewer's question, it looks like a question Reeves was posing to the interviewer. The next thing said isn't by Reeves, but the interviewer, who goes on to say they (Golem) expect the PS2 and PS3 to maintain different positions.

Retail intelligence. Every publisher who makes it their business would get these figures, I've little doubt.

Well, 18k a week, 13 weeks in a quarter=234,000

So they can keep shipping 200,000+ a quarter to Europe, with these near bottomed out numbers. Think that's terrible? I believe Xbox didn't sell more than about 5 million in EU. 5 years xbox 360 life cycle times 200k a quarter=800X5, there's pretty close too your five mil. That's assuming sales never go up and stay worst case forever, which they wont.

And the source, who knows. It might be reliable it might not. It might be based on some weird shipped number (hell, maybe they took the 200k shipped and divided by X weeks) or designed to make microsoft look bad. Just like you have to wonder when microsoft says they've sold 5 million already. Or when Sony says PSP is kicking tail around the world, when it seems a bit of false bravado. And we dont now the time slice of the 18k per week 360 figure either.

Will be interesting to see next quarter microsoft EU shipments, for sure. Or not, since they'll be ramping for the holidays anyway, I guess.

But yeah, 360 EU sales suck. True. I guess Microsoft might be forced out of the market over there.
________
Vaporizerinfo

Clearly a typo, why would the Sony Exec be asking the interviewer what he thought of 360's market penetration? it]s obviously a question from the interviewer.

Babelfish said:
What do you think of the current achievement of the Xbox 360 in our markets? For example about 18,000 pieces per week are sold at present. And the PS2 is sold 100.000-mal per week

Back