PS3 in the US press...

It's worth mentioning you can also play music and movies from external usb drives/devices as well, including DRM playforsure and zune content. But, it is certainly more convenient to simply stream it using Windows Media Connect, WMP11, Zune, or MCE with Windows, Connect 360 with Mac OS, or GeeXBox with Linux.

Yeah, I generally plug my iPod in to the 360 when I want a custom soundtrack in games, you have to download an update from Xbox Live to get it to work and it won't play DRM protected tracks but it plays unprotected AAC files.

I think the real issue is that Sony really under-delivered with the PS3. I mean we've come from Killzone 2 supposedly real-time (a total lie) footage + 1080p for everything + amazing launch line-up to Killzone nowhere to be seen, Resistance 88% as the best launch title, 1080i Blu-Ray, no support for 1080i in major games, no integrated network features (friends list etc...), huge price tag, etc... in only 18 months.

People were sold a Spring launch and then told to wait so that they could get the software and Blu-Ray ready for production and all they come up with is Resistance in 720p/480p, 300k units and no European launch.

It's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

It's actually about par for the course.

Think about the 360 launch. Limited units, almost all launch units sold before Jan getting bricked, disapointing flagship launch titles (PDZ, Kameo, etc), promised backwards compatibility not there, etc.

Console launches are a huge undertaking. Both MS and Sony tried the hardest to make their launches as smooth as possible. Passing off their efforts as just "pathetic" is simply childish and not fair the the individuals involved.

It's actually about par for the course.

Think about the 360 launch. Limited units, almost all launch units sold before Jan getting bricked, disapointing flagship launch titles (PDZ, Kameo, etc), promised backwards compatibility not there, etc.

Console launches are a huge undertaking. Both MS and Sony tried the hardest to make their launches as smooth as possible. Passing off their efforts as just "pathetic" is simply childish and not fair the the individuals involved.

The thing is sony had an extra 6 months to get all this right. They moved the launch from spring to fall to get things right and they did not. If you move the 360 launch out 6 months all the problems are almost all gone. Sony is the only one to blame for this they are the ones who over promised and did not deliver. Instead of mouthing off about 1080p,cgi videos being realtime and xbox 1.5 maybe they should of been working on the launch of thier console.

I think the real issue is that Sony really under-delivered with the PS3. I mean we've come from Killzone 2 supposedly real-time (a total lie) footage + 1080p for everything + amazing launch line-up to Killzone nowhere to be seen, Resistance 88% as the best launch title, 1080i Blu-Ray, no support for 1080i in major games, no integrated network features (friends list etc...), huge price tag, etc... in only 18 months.

People were sold a Spring launch and then told to wait so that they could get the software and Blu-Ray ready for production and all they come up with is Resistance in 720p/480p, 300k units and no European launch.

- Killzone 2 was never said to be a launch title.
- 1080p wasn't promised for every game, if I recall correctly.
- The launch line-up is pretty good for a launch line-up, certainly better than PS2 launch line up and on par with console launch line ups in general.
- If the 88% is the average score of Metacritic, it's a good score no matter how you look at it.
- PS3 network is lacking some of the network features compared to the competitors, still as even I, who follow these things closer than the average mainstream gamer, can't really point my finger to what it's lacking specifically. Ok, the friends list on PS3 isn't as integrated´, but it's not totally lacking either. A minor issue if anything, at least in the eyes of mainstream buyers and even the more "hardcore" I'd dare to argue.
- Price tag. It's more expensive compared to others, but €650 (or the dollar equivalent) isn't "huge". If it were "huge" the launch would have left units on shelves, there wouldn't have been long queues, riots...

Was the spring launch even ever officially announced?
Resistance isn't "all they could come up with". The launch line up is limited for a reason, and that reason isn't just development difficulties, but often more because of marketing so as there wouldn't be too many titles that compete with each other.
It's in Sony studio's interest that they launch with just one or two quality titles, so the sales of that title would be maximised during the launch frenzy.
In marketing sense, it's often "good for the customer" too, to have a controlled launch line-up and not being overwhelmed by choice the day one ;)

At least the units Sony is shipping seem to be pretty damn reliable and not failing due overheating and other manufacturing errors, that has to count for something towards a mature and succesfull launch too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
im not trying to flame or anything bu tserisouly when were 10 yr olds aloud to be journalist? that times article had to be the worst article in the world. Im sorry to say but you wasted your time and money? Are you even aloud to say taht in a magazine? Im pretty sure its preference if you wasted your time and money lol. I love my ps3. I have been playing non stop and i barely have any glitches other than some in COD3. and the UI amazing and beautiful. What a crock load of crap. that ticked me off. I remember buying a 360 and loving it even thoug hit had to be repaired and people were raved about it. Whats going on?

If i remember correctly the ps3 launch rocks. resistance, marvel and COD3 are stand up games for a launch and ps2 launch do you remember fantavision? or Orphen....and then 6 months of time where nothing good came out and tehn BAM PS2 owned the world...PS2 was 450 CDN at that time. i dont think 100 dollars more CDN is going to kill a system.

It's worth mentioning you can also play music and movies from external usb drives/devices as well, including DRM playforsure and zune content. But, it is certainly more convenient to simply stream it using Windows Media Connect, WMP11, Zune, or MCE with Windows, Connect 360 with Mac OS, or GeeXBox with Linux.

Zune is freaking ugly. IPOD killer LOL yeah rigt.

- The launch line-up is pretty good for a launch line-up, certainly better than PS2 launch line up and on par with console launch line ups in general.
I don't know, I think it's pretty disappointing to be honest. Resistance is the only exclusive title that is really solid. The other exclusives are pretty poor by any standards: Metacritic scores are Gundam 38, NBA 07 65, Untold Legends 60, Genji 58. Ridge Racer 7 is the only other exclusive with a decent score with 81 but it's not that big an improvement from RR6 on the 360 and is arguably worse in some respects graphically. All the cross platform titles are being reviewed as either pretty much identical to the 360 or noticeably worse (COD3 and Tony Hawks particularly seem to be well below the 360 versions).

Someone mentioned Kameo and Perfect Dark as examples of poor 360 launch titles and while they were certainly not stellar games their metacritic rankings of 79 and 81 put them well ahead of all the PS3 exclusives but Ridge Racer. The PS3 launch lineup doesn't look great compared to the 360 launch lineup. It looks a lot worse when compared to the current 360 library. I think a lot of people were expecting better.

questions...

How much damage did the said articles do to the sales of PS3?

Will it have any effect in future proofing the success of the PS3?

Will it boost X360 sales?

The xbox 360 launch game average score was 7.66, the PS3 is 7.31.
Yes, there's a difference, but it is marginal.
Not a "lot worse" as you make it sound like it is.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25693&page=2
The overall average doesn't tell the whole picture though. The average Metacritic for the PS3 launch exclusives is 65 (Gundam, NBA 07, Untold Legends, Genji, Ridge Racer 7, Resistance), for the 360 it was 82 if you count Call of Duty 2, 80 if you don't (Amped 3, Call of Duty 2, Condemned, Kameo, PDZ, PGR3 - Call of Duty 2 was already out on PC so it's status as an exclusive is debatable). For the cross platform titles available on the PS3 they all score the same or lower than the 360 versions, with many reviews saying the 360 versions are better for many of the titles.

I actually said that the PS3 launch line up "doesn't look great" when compared to the 360 launch line up. I said it looks "a lot worse" than the current 360 lineup, which is really the more relevant comparison for anyone wondering what console to buy this christmas.

questions...

PS3 sales won't be impacted one bit right now. The demand is way higher than supply, so even if demand drops to half temporarily it won't matter at all. I doubt many launch window purchasers will even read those articles, let alone be affected by it.

Microsoft might have an opportunity, though. If people are fed up with trying to pick up a PS3, they might wind up getting a 360 right now, and future PS3 sales could be compromised. As much as retailers seem to suck up to Sony electronics, they'd much rather make some profit from 360 software sales than tell customers to wait a couple months until the PS3 is available.

questions...

The point I was getting at in the original post was more aimed at how this might affect potential future interest in the PS3 and whether other publications were talking along the same lines.

The hardcore, the B3Ders and the like, pay little attention to this kind of press and will already be set on buying PS3, or whichever console, the effect comes beyond that point, when the casual gamer decides they want a new console, they probably had a PS2 last time round, but for them that doesn't necessarily mean it's PS3 this time and if these are the reviews that the casual gamer is seeing (outside the core games press) then it might have an influence...

There's only one real problem for Sony and that's the manufaturing problems they are facing, including the cost of the console and how many $$$ they have to sink. The fact that they delayed 6 months and only delivered <500.000 consoles is really worrying. The high BOM is secondary but still important.

BUT.

PS3 will be sold out for the next year. That's plenty of time to get some of the higher quality titles and major franchises out.

Right now it doesn't matter that COD 3 runs better on a cheaper competing console and that GOW absolutely creams Resistance in technical and production quality, because Sony will sell out regardless. A year from now there'll be Heavenly Sword, MGS 4 and other super titles out when the casual gamers, and the moms and pops of the world go christmas shopping for their kids, that's when the game lineup will matter.

That, and pricing. Sony needs to cut the price to 360 levels (at least within $50-100 of 360) to be competitive in the long run.

Cheers

The thing is sony had an extra 6 months to get all this right. They moved the launch from spring to fall to get things right and they did not. If you move the 360 launch out 6 months all the problems are almost all gone. Sony is the only one to blame for this they are the ones who over promised and did not deliver. Instead of mouthing off about 1080p,cgi videos being realtime and xbox 1.5 maybe they should of been working on the launch of thier console.

I know for sure there was never an intention of launching in spring 2006. They only said that to calm people(fans) and press down

i dont think Sony needs to cut their price of the ps3 just yet since the law of demand and supply is on their side. I think the high prices can be used by the marketing department as a product differentiation ;)

Anyone here who could verify what I just read on Gamespot?:

Our PlayStation 3 recognized MP4 and MPG files encoded in MPEG-4, H.264, MPEG-1, and MPEG-2. When we tossed in the Xvid and Divx codecs, both worked like a charm. The supported codecs did not work at all when we used AVI, MOV, and ASF file formats. Not surprisingly, WMV didn't work either.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6161997/p-3.html

Back