PS3 hardware failure

Bahhh... Thsi has NOT been a good day today. First I wreck my PC flatpanel display (can't even claim it was by accident, truth is it was nothing but sheer stupidity on my part), then my PS3's bluetooth module apparantly conks out.

It won't talk to either my remote control or the PS3 controller (cord unplugged). Not sure what I can try, just in case my PS3 perhaps simply FORGOT all the pairing information regarding these two devices.

The controller works fine in wired mode of course but won't connect in wireless mode when I press the PS button, and the PS3 doesn't recognize the remote at all when I try to pair it (hold START and Enter buttons). I sat there pressing the damn buttons for at least half a minute and nothing happened... Tried several sets of batteries as well.

So all in all... Not a good day.

Bahhh... Thsi has NOT been a good day today. First I wreck my PC flatpanel display (can't even claim it was by accident, truth is it was nothing but sheer stupidity on my part), then my PS3's bluetooth module apparantly conks out.

It won't talk to either my remote control or the PS3 controller (cord unplugged). Not sure what I can try, just in case my PS3 perhaps simply FORGOT all the pairing information regarding these two devices.

The controller works fine in wired mode of course but won't connect in wireless mode when I press the PS button, and the PS3 doesn't recognize the remote at all when I try to pair it (hold START and Enter buttons). I sat there pressing the damn buttons for at least half a minute and nothing happened... Tried several sets of batteries as well.

I had this happen and ended up reset the system back to default settings and it came back up. Needless to say, backup everything before doing this.

I have had the same problem a few times but fixed it at the end by playing with the controller's automatic switch off in the power saving settings. It seems that the timer settings that switches the controller off messes a bit with the bluetooth controllers.

Hmm! Whaddya know... I turned the PS3 off, turned the power switch off for good measure, turned switch on and pushed a button on the remote and the system lit right up.

Problem solved! Thanks for the tips, people. :)

Now, if only I could fix my flatscreen as easily, but the LCD panel's all caved in near the top of the screen unfortunately and there are cracks running throughout the screen... Guess a repair is out of the question, cost-wise; it's a 2.5 year old unit.

Stupid me. :(

Hmm! Whaddya know... I turned the PS3 off, turned the power switch off for good measure, turned switch on and pushed a button on the remote and the system lit right up.
First rule of IT support - Switch it off and on again to fix 99% of all problems! :D

My ps3 40 gig still works except for the face buttons the eject and power down. I have to use the controller or the on/off switch on the back

I think the failure rate was very low initially. But after a couple of years the old models started to wear off and brake. Around 2 years they start to show the signs of failure.

Uh, traditionally "failure rate" refers to warranty failure rate. A PS3 failing after 2 years doesn't affect that.

My 40gb unit recently stopped reading BR discs, it would load but crash out within the first 3 minutes of any DVD, BRD or game. I've been using the box strictly as a media player. I decided to move it into the bedroom, and it works again. I must of tried over 50 discs over the course of the past few weeks, just HOPING it would work one of the times, no dice.

The only difference is that it's not horizontal. Prior to this move, I've kept all my 360 & PS3's vertical and in a place where they get proper ventilation. Oh well, pleasantly surprised, and I won't look this gift horse in the mouth.

Oh dear, looks like I'm not alone to have a ps3 broken this month. Yep, my 2.5yr old 60gig just died couple of days ago with my Batman AA stuck inside. Exactly the same problem as Nesh. The repair fee costs $250 AU so I abandoned that choice and got a Slim instead for $469 AU. I'm gonna get the 60giger fixed at some point and retrieve my game disc but yeah, console quality this gen is really disappointing indeed.

But independent's are only £20 or so cheaper than Sony, at least here. Is the small saving really worth the reduced diagnostic, repair, and insider info abilities of the repairer?

But independent's are only £20 or so cheaper than Sony, at least here. Is the small saving really worth the reduced diagnostic, repair, and insider info abilities of the repairer?

Well Nesh saved 70 Euros (50 Euros if he hadn't known a friend of the guy), not sure how that compares to British pounds, but still seems like a fairly significant amount.

Regards,
SB

Well Nesh saved 70 Euros (50 Euros if he hadn't known a friend of the guy), not sure how that compares to British pounds, but still seems like a fairly significant amount.

Regards,
SB

Not just that but he had it fixed in one day. I got my console instead of a refurbished one so all my saves and data were back, together with my game that got stuck in it. I would have waited 2-3 weeks for a refurbished console and more than a month to retrieve my game if they couldnt get it out of my broken console.

I think though that they take refurbished consoles from the UK and send the broken ones there. Since I dont live in the UK probably thats the reason for the delay.

Okay. Makes sense in that case. Do people get refurbished replacements for out-of-warranty PS3s? If so, I don't see why there'd be a delay. When my PS3 was replaced in warranty, they made the exchange on the doorstep, so it was only a couple of days wait. The only reason for a longer wait is if they are fixing and returning your PS3.

I've had 1 PS3 replaced under warranty in the States so far and it was a 4 day turnaround. In the post on Monday, refurbed backk at my house on Friday. I would imagine out of warranty repairs would be simialr.

Not just that but he had it fixed in one day. I got my console instead of a refurbished one so all my saves and data were back, together with my game that got stuck in it. I would have waited 2-3 weeks for a refurbished console and more than a month to retrieve my game if they couldnt get it out of my broken console.

Did you ask him what was wrong ?

Officially only 1 year in the UK, though people may be able to get the 2 year 'official' European CE warranty.

What kind of warranty is there on the PS3 in EU?

In Norway its 5 years :) As PS3 is classified as a computer and not a toy

Yeah, Norway better stay out of EU as we have only a paltry 2 year warranty.

Norway is leading the way in a lot of areas perhaps EU could apply for membership of Norway? :D

Back