PS3 hardware failure

Ok something I noticed. I took out the HDD and plugged it to my PC via a USB.

The HDD does not seem to be recognized by my PC. Is there a chance that the HDD is also busted?? Or is this a result of the encryption?

This is terribly annoying.

Sony should have atleast released some kind of HDD kit for transferring data.

I feel sorry for my lost saves.

Wipeout is the worst loss of all :(

At least if I find a save data with almost all Gold metals on Elite I might feel better since it will take me to where I was left. It took me days to get the Elite Golds

Is there no way to read it? Any decryption??? Anything???

You mean trophies ? If so, I think they are sync'ed online. So you should not lose anything there. The others might be able to confirm.

If it's game saves, then I'm afraid it's lost (well, on the HDD but inaccessible).

You mean trophies ? If so, I think they are sync'ed online. So you should not lose anything there. The others might be able to confirm.

If it's game saves, then I'm afraid it's lost (well, on the HDD but inaccessible).

I am talking about the game saves. Many of the stuff I unlocked will be locked once I load the game without the save data even if I have the trophies

Remove the HDD before shipping it off... It's user replaceable anyway, so I doubt it'll affect the warranty in any way.
I'm not sure where the OP is from.

FWIW, in Korea, SCEK actually informs customers to send PS3 with HDD *removed* for repair.

It's even stated in PS3 user's manual.
When sending your PS3 unit to SCEK for repair, please remove your HDD. Instructions on how to remove/replace your HDD is on page. xx.

Some games, like Demon's Souls, do not allow me to copy the save data to an external drive. I can probably backup the entire HDD but it's a couple of hundred Gbs.

If this PS3 goes, then there goes my Level 120 Royalty character. :D

archie4oz, if you're reading this. Could you help me tell the firmware team to have a finer backup granularity ? I'd like to backup the game saves more frequently since Sony prevents me from copying the individual save files.

Some games, like Demon's Souls, do not allow me to copy the save data to an external drive. I can probably backup the entire HDD but it's a couple of hundred Gbs.

If this PS3 goes, then there goes my Level 120 Royalty character. :D

archie4oz, if you're reading this. Could you help me tell the firmware team to have a finer backup granularity ? I'd like to backup the game saves more frequently since Sony prevents me from copying the individual save files.

If it's 100+gigs to back up your HD you need to delete stuff and redownload later. I backed up my HD and kept only the game saves and I think it was less than 4gb.

I have my home media and CD collection in there too. I can move them back to the file server, but it'd be a pain to do so.

All the other stuff on the PS3 HDD can be copied individually, except for the protected game saves. For that, I am forced to backup the entire HDD -- assuming that doing so will indeed archive my game saves. Either that, or unlock my Demon's Souls game save so I can copy it out. :)

I believe so.
Then he should better get his ass to work and tell his team or something to release a data management application where we can keep our data safe.

I am a really pissed consumer at the moment and this is not the customer service I am expecting from such a huge company. This is outrageous. The amount of money I have to pay is crazy to get it fixed. Awful customer relationship management

170 euros for a refurbished unit? The majority of hardware failures shouldnt even cost 100 to fix I am sure. 2 months to get my stuck disk game back? Lost data? 3 month warranty only after I receive the refurbished unit?

I was taking a good care of my system and the majority of my game time was spent on games installed on my HDD!! I did not use folding almost at all! This is completely inexcusable. And I am starting to see lots of pissed off consumers who found their selves with a dead PS3.

This is a manufacturing issue and not a result of excessive or bad usage

Woah, archie4oz works for another division. Would not be fair to lay the work or blame on him.

Even if the PS3 runs forever, the third party HDD will fail some day. You'll need to backup your game data yourself.

Woah, archie4oz works for another division. Would not be fair to lay the work or blame on him.

Only the first sentence was directed to him (I hope I got it right).

The rest was to Sony in general.
Even if the PS3 runs forever, the third party HDD will fail some day. You'll need to backup your game data.

Yeah, the problem is it is the PS3 that failed not my HDD. And it failed before I could back up my data. Unless Sony expects me to back up my data every month just in case (which would be stupid). But then again it wouldnt matter since if it is the PS3 that dies and get another unit the back up data wont work as they should

170 EUROS! God Damn!!

Ha ha, for your case, it's too late. Your PS3 can't boot up. You'll need some kind of HDD forensic tool to extract the data. It'd be a security breach.

In US, the repair cost + shipping is $150 I think. You can try their customer service to see if you're as lucky as phat. Don't count on it though.

Ha ha, for your case, it's too late. Your PS3 can't boot up. You'll need some kind of HDD forensic tool to extract the data. It'd be a security breach.

You know what I want? I want my current PS3 fixed at a cheaper price that I will get back in less than 3 weeks. THATS good customer service. Not this.

The data issue stems directly from the fact that they will send me a REFURBISHED unit that will cost me 170 Euros. Thats what happens when you are in Europe. Sony US does not apply in Europe. I want MY model back

You know what I want? I want my current PS3 fixed at a cheaper price that I will get back in less than 3 weeks. THATS good customer service. Not this.

The data issue stems directly from the fact that they will send me a REFURBISHED unit that will cost me 170 Euros. Thats what happens when you are in Europe. Sony US does not apply in Europe. I want MY model back

They send you back a refurb in the US too.

They send you back a refurb in the US too.

They only send you a refurb if they cannot fix yours up right away, since they like to speed up the process when they are busy. That's what they told me. If you game is stuck they'll take it out for you and ship it right back to you separately.

If you send a 60gig you'll get the same one back even if it's not yours. So don't worry about not getting BC back.

Back