PS3 and PSP Question

sir doris

Regular
Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this one, which I thought would be straight forward.

If you have a PSP connected to a PS3 can the PSP act as a 'remote control'?

I.E. Using the PSP as display (for navigating the XMB) and control for actually playing media on the PS3, and not streaming them to the PSP.

Basically I have all my CD's on a WDMyBook which is connected to my PS3. The PS3 is then connected to a decent DAC and the rest of my HiFi. The only display the PS3 is connected to is a Projector. Obviously I don't want to have to turn on the PJ every time I listen to music.

My 1st thought was to connect the PS3 to my LCD in addition tot he PJ, however only having 1 HDMI out mean I needed an HDMI Splitter. I've tried a cheap one which refused to work (Blank Screen /w PS3, worked fine with non-HDCP source) even though it's supposed to be HDCP enabled :(

The splitters which will work are expensive (from the likes of Gefen and Octava).

So I was thinking would a PSP be a good solution to my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
PSP firmware 3.95 is available now. I just installed it. Added:
* Better support for Network titles
* Add button reassignment for PS1 games
* Clearer language for tearing down RemotePlay connection (You can close the RemotePlay connection and turn off PS3, or leave the PS3 on).

EDIT: Sony, you didn't do the last item right. When I chose to "Quit RemotePlay and Turn Off PS3", it went to the SIXAXIS "PS button" screen where I had to choose "Turn Off PS3" again. There, it asked me "Are you sure ?" again. It reminds me of the firmware upgrade, PSN purchase and the web browsing experiences. We often need to go through useless screens to double confirm, or dismiss endless dialogs. This is the problem with your integration approach in general. They seem to be patched together in a hurry (Don't run too fast without thinking !). Please do a general usability fix in one of the firmware updates. They will be super welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Couple More Questions

Should there be any problems using a UK PS3 and a US/Canadian PSP together with respect to Remote Play? Do the different regions get the same Firmwares?

I understand that PSP games are region free like the PS3 is this correct?

Am I right in thinking the PSP Slim can be charged when connected via USB?

Thanks Again :)

I use a Japanese "Launch Period" PSP with my US PS3. No issues so far, except that the O and X keys have opposite meaning in XMB.

Don't know much about PSP Slim.

Back