Proteus : A gem no one is playing !

I just played it last night on my ps3, thanks to it being free on PS+ right now and .....man, I am blown away :D !

This is the most beautiful experience I have had since Journey ! Yes, truly !

Its aimless, yet so engaging and so mesmerizing :p ! I literally found my jaw hanging while I was roaming around that ...that island !

I booted it up just after we had dinner, so my whole family was around me. When I started walking around, my whole family kept asking," What do you do in this game?"..."I said," I don't know!"

After 5 mins, no one was asking anything anymore. We were just .....mesmerized ! Totally and completely. Time flew and it was midnight already !!!

Don't watch any video of it or any review. I had no idea what it was and that had a profound effect on my experience. Its free, its just 94 mbs, download it play it. EIther you will throw it away or you will find you the most beautiful place to be in !

i got completely different experience.

i played it on PSV and completely baffled that i can do nothing at all in that world and bored by the super slow movement.

i keep asking myself. Is this a game? Isnt this is just a map that you fly around with noclip cheat mode? (the first time i think of noclip when i see myself spawn on top of ocean and i just fly to island)

YT video

It's No Man's Sky superLite. There's nothing except exploration of a...distinct art style. The vid at 1:20 says, "Really, to a large extent, this is it." They have a curious definition of "very pretty." I'm not sure many folk these days would call flat shaded chunky textures on billboarded sprites 'pretty'.

Seems much more like an unfinished game that got abandoned but released anyway (perhaps they were going for a No Man's Sky idea but NMS stole their thunder by being way more ambitious and getting all the attention?). Not for me.

I disagree. the videos don't look pretty at all, yes, but its a game and its all about being in it, not watching it. the island starts changing the more time you spend in it. Its utterly beautiful and the soundscape is spellbinding to me. The stuff that happens as seasons change and as night falls, its pure magic !

Of course, the game is not for everyone. But its free, don't go about without checking it out. I am having another "Journey " experience. Unforgettable.

and , btw, there's stuff to find in there and when you do find stuff, the effect is magical ! Blissful is what I felt last night !

Thats why I said , don't watch reviews or videos. Try it out :cool: !

So basically do nothing except traverse the proceduraly generated environment?

edit: Oh its free? :)

YT video

It's No Man's Sky superLite. There's nothing except exploration of a...distinct art style. The vid at 1:20 says, "Really, to a large extent, this is it." They have a curious definition of "very pretty." I'm not sure many folk these days would call flat shaded chunky textures on billboarded sprites 'pretty'.

Seems much more like an unfinished game that got abandoned but released anyway (perhaps they were going for a No Man's Sky idea but NMS stole their thunder by being way more ambitious and getting all the attention?). Not for me.

I had the same feeling when rockpapershotgunwere talking about a game called Eidolon last week. "Extremely pretty" they called it and virtually all the comments agreed. Just looked ugly to me.

Beauty is the in the eye of the beholder but I think minimalist is a more apt term to describe the graphics. There seems to be a run of these games with Eidolon as well.

There's more to it. Persist and you will find :) !
That's what people said about Noby Noby Boy, and they suckered me into a purchase there too!

For free, if the visuals aren't an immediate turn-off (seriously, not even shadows), one could probably do worse than fire it up for five minutes to develop a personal evaluation.

the island starts changing the more time you spend in it. !

i played a few times until nighttime with glowing ufo on sky but noting happpen. now im trying again with vita standby disabled,

update:
left psv alone running protheus ffor around 30 minutes and i get "Think like a mountain" achievement :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it PlayStation only? If so, I gotta pass, but from your description it looks very interesting.

I have this on PS Vita. Wandered around for a bit, maybe ten minutes, but nothing seemed to be happening. I'm either missing something or this isn't my type of game.

^^ dontmove after 1st apearing on top of ocean. just change the camera to see the island in distance. Left vita foe 30 minutes and you will get achievement :D

^^ dontmove after 1st apearing on top of ocean. just change the camera to see the island in distance. Left vita foe 30 minutes and you will get achievement :D

Definitely not my type of game!!! :smile:

Is it PlayStation only? If so, I gotta pass, but from your description it looks very interesting.

It's been on PC for over a year (Jan. 2013 release). You can it on Steam pretty cheap. It also sometimes appears on the Humble Bundle.

It's really a game about Music and Exploration and Interaction. The things you do in game and how you interact with things can create freeform music.

Pretty good indie game with some nice ideas, but if those 3 things aren't your cup of tea this isn't for you. It's more an interactive experience than a game in many ways.

Regards,
SB

I played with the sound off. Will it make 'more sense' if I replay with fancy sounds and noises?

I played with the sound off. Will it make 'more sense' if I replay with fancy sounds and noises?

Get outta here !!!!!

How the hell can it be that seasoned gamers like you can't find stuff in there ! Just roam around in the beauty, it gets more and more beautiful as time passes, seasons change, you find things, you understand some stuff, you get mystified by others ! Loved it !

Back