Proof that ants are smarter than I am

K.I.L.E.R said:
That's what I ment.
Fish and isnects are the same anyway.
In that case, I have this nice piece of Barramundi that I'm going to sell you at a bargain price. It's so fresh it's still buzzing.

Simon F said:
that's why they have the panic to fixe the "C02 scrubbers" in Apollo 13.
Well they panicked in the film - in reality, they ground crew had already anticipated the problem before the levels reached anything serious; they also spent quite a few hours working on the solution on Earth, testing it and then writing the construction plans; a few more hours relaying the details to the crew, who then took over an hour to build and refined the apparatus, and then yet another hour to halt the rise in CO2 levels.

Why can't the ant just know where it wants to return too, and then leave some kind of scent (or the colony of ants making a noise if its a colony) so that the path doesn't matter, it just always knows the relative direction of its home?

Fox5 said:
Why can't the ant just know where it wants to return too, and then leave some kind of scent (or the colony of ants making a noise if its a colony) so that the path doesn't matter, it just always knows the relative direction of its home?
This is the way that most ants operate (though they also know the directionality of the path without any knowledge of the general direction "home"). But these ants live in an environment where a path won't stay, so they evolved a different method.

Back