Project Gotham Racing 4

Keep in mind that 2xMSAA is hardly perfect due to the limited sampling positions. One particular angle will get the AA, and another won't.

Oh, I am quite aware that 2xMSAA isn't perfect. Like I said, I can spot the aliasing in the game. But try to reconsile that with the IGN comments like "serious jaggies". Based on their general comment pattern on aliasing (not really a huge deal to them), the comment stands out. So my guess is he isn't running over component but is using VGA, which explains his comments.

So who has some more gameplay impressions to add? I'm on the borderline with this game.

I'm also a little frustrated that every 360 thread turns into a discussion on aliasing and upscaling :( Here I thought we played games for the enjoyment factor... yet there are next to no posts that measure anything to do with actually playing the game! Oh well.

mm... it is curious. The near horizontal edges (whichever car view you choose) are a good candidate for showcasing jaggies as the steps would be stretched across or over few vertical pixels - the particular 2xAA pattern just isn't good there, and with the game in motion, it probably doesn't look too hot (despite being better to have AA in the first place!).

If they had control over the sample positions, it may be more ideal to rotate that pattern mask by 90 degrees.... maybe.

But yeah, the comment is strange, and I wonder if they made the same for Forza 2; the aliasing artifacts shouldn't be any worse than those in Forza 2 during the gameplay....

I'm also a little frustrated that every 360 thread turns into a discussion on aliasing and upscaling :( Here I thought we played games for the enjoyment factor... yet there are next to no posts that measure anything to do with actually playing the game! Oh well.

To be fair, we're thus far speaking on the technical level (so far!) based off of some review comment. :)

Finally played this demo today.

Amazing weather effects, I was surprised to see snow even in photo mode :oops: they are everywhere in dots.

Gameplay is pure fun, difficulties seem easier in comparison to PGR3 demo. UI was excellent and trendy.

Too much jaggies though, they are even in background environment. Cars seem made from lego blocks; I am sure this is because of horrendous support for HD.

Therefore not buying this game.

I have been solidly locked into this game in the last week. Playing a good balance between Career and Arcade. Haven't ventured online to play yet.

Some things I am really enjoying:

- Driving Physics: Much improved over PGR 3. Cars don't seem quite as lose and arcadey and you don't have a need for full kudos onslaught. Depending on the track, type of event, car and weather I find myself changing my driving styles frequently.

- Weather: Dynamic weather effects can turn to be rather challenging. Nothing like driving your bike in a torrential downpour with water accumulating in puddles.

- Bikes: By far not a gimmick. Very well done, and once you get the mechanics down for the bikes, you can annihilate some of the tracks/competitors.

I still have no real complaints with the game. For those that are still saying the game is a jaggy mess are bona fide insane, and I am positive we are playing different games. Either that or you or I need glasses.

If you consider yourself any bit of a racing fan you are SILLY not to pick this up. If Forza wasn't your cup of tea, this game will be. If Forza was the bees knees, this will work for you as well! No brainer.

There's really very very little jaggies. I don't know what the IGN reviewer saw or what people here who complain of jaggies see...

Ant or Ash,

Any of you guys beat the last Time vs Kudos challenge on Silve or above? that seems damn impossible to me! any tips?

I still have no real complaints with the game. For those that are still saying the game is a jaggy mess are bona fide insane, and I am positive we are playing different games. Either that or you or I need glasses.

If you consider yourself any bit of a racing fan you are SILLY not to pick this up. If Forza wasn't your cup of tea, this game will be. If Forza was the bees knees, this will work for you as well! No brainer.

I will post images when I have the camera, you will judge for yourself. ;)

I will post images when I have the camera, you will judge for yourself. ;)

You can post pics all you want! All I know, is when I am playing the game, on my 42" 1080p over VGA, I sure as heck don't see a jaggy mess, and I sure as heck don't see it trying to ace the Time vs. Kudos match Robert is talking about.

I have been playing vid games since the 80's, I have played my fair share of racers, and if I somehow missed any racer that has been released already, that has less jaggies, and looks and plays as good as PGR4, color me dumbfounded!

Robert: I am by far no master. Give me another week, I'll see if I can have some tips by then! :)

Seriously. I want to see some more thoughts from some of you that purchased the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am playing the game on a 720p 37" TV through VGA now and hardly any jaggies if any. There's the odd one every one and then, but it's hardly noticeable.

The switch from a 5:4 monitor is simply incredible. Most games supporting full-screen on 4:3 or 5:4 monitors -there are quite a few out there- go for the simplest solution and apparently render the game at 1024x768 and then upscale the image. The result is far worse when stretching is part of the equation as in Halo 3.

I fail to see why they fail to provide these games with at least the option to see them letterboxed. Are there any incompatibilities between upscaling and letterboxing on the 360 using the VGA output? It seems so, every game that I remember not outputting at 720p has the very same problem on 5:4 screens. At least that would explain why those games are either "proper" full screen or simply stretched to fill the screen -as in PGR3-.

MS could have made it compulsory for devs to letterbox at 720p. Market share of 1280x1024 displays is quite high you know.

Letterboxing at 720p would suck, I don't need my games any wider than 16:9.

:p

But. yeah, I know what you meant to say. ;)

As jaggies, of couse 2xAA will leave some angles looking rather rough, but there is quite a bit of aliasing from the textures as well which leaves the game looking somewhat rough despite the multisampling. Granted, it is still a huge step up for PGR3 and I'm pleased with the graphics as a whole.

Should have said letterboxing to 720p. You would theoratically get full screen @ 720p letterboxing. ;)

I tried to take pictures of PGR4 to make my voice heard, but why is it that my camera is keep taking pictures in a way that all jaggies are removed :???:

List of games running at 1280x1024 res on X360:

Letterboxed games
icon14.gif

Forza 2
Test Drive:U
Dead Rising
Rainbow Six: Vegas
GRAW 1+2
PES6
Cars (just tried out demo)

Full screen games

The orange box (though seems it is rendering natively at 1280x1024)
Halo 3 (honestly looks like PS2 game, looks marginally better at 1280x720)
icon13.gif

PGR3/4
PES 2008
Call of Duty 2-4

And so on. It also seems the more and more games nowadays do full screen, in contrast to games released at 360 launch.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=13176258&postRepeater1-p=27
I am also part of spamming at bungie forum to make them fix the issue.

This is ridiculous.

L:1280x1024 R:720p
comparisonxg7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the road texture in pgr4 is abit more improved, thats all im seeing. car model polygon seemed exactly the same or am i missing something here? pretty good looking racer overall.

We know how they are doing the reflections now (map the previous frame) so that shouldn't be a surprise! ;) Too bad the lighting is downgraded in gameplay!

All in all it's a good looking game, but I'm not sold on it.

Can someone tell me, if you play the 'career', do you have to race with motorbikes, or can you avoid them?

one thing that bothers alot the other when i was playing it at a friend's place on a hdtv. the jaggies are literally all over the place, especially on the cars which really stick out like a sore thumb. lighting wise wether it's downgraded or not it's still lacking heaps in terms of realism and i dont wana bring out any comparisons. i actually liked the environment in pgr4 alot more than the cars.

Back