Project Gotham Racing 4

Tap In

Legend
evidently a new screen is available in the new "PLAY' magazine.

also this blurb by a Bizzare dev...

I picked up Play yesterday. I don't think the shot is in game, the rain beaded on the car is unreal.

Heh, I can't believe people are saying these are fake already.
Don't you remember the fun and games pre-PGR3 launch?

Forza's release date won't affect PGR4; we are working to a schedule which has been in place for many months, and we won't slip (with a bit of luck!).

We have more elevation in PGR4 tracks than we did in 3. Can't say much more than that though...

Ben

I wanna see the raindrop screenshot. :cry: Toy Shop demo quality? That would be incredible.

hm.... elevation? Like... up-in-the-mountains-elevation :?:

The problem is the very large discrepancy in PGR3 between still shots (photo mode) and actual racing gameplay... Not to mention the 600p rendering. I remember reading an interview with Bizzare where a dev basically said "when we received the final Xenos-based dev kits, we wanted to rebuild our engine from scratch."

Let's hope they just did that with PGR4. I would settle for the quality of PGR3 photo shots "in race".

I don't know why MS would let Forza2 and PGR4 be even talked about this close together. They should wait for Forza2 to come out and make some sales for a few months before even talking about PGR4. I know they are not exactly the same style of racing game, but I believe they are still going to cannibalize each other's sales.

I don't know why MS would let Forza2 and PGR4 be even talked about this close together. They should wait for Forza2 to come out and make some sales for a few months before even talking about PGR4. I know they are not exactly the same style of racing game, but I believe they are still going to cannibalize each other's sales.

Forza releases in Spring/Summer, PGR is set for Fall, no conflict there.

Looking forward to this. PGR3 had me tempted to slap down $400 for a launch day 360. I am glad I didn't, but PGR4 and a cheaper (more reliable!) unit may be too tempting if the disparity between their launch title and 2 years of development on real hardware is as much as I hope it can be. More features plus the cabin view and online play, plus the PGR gameplay, really caters to my driving tastes.

scoob said:
Don't you remember the fact that the PGR3 gameplay looked nothing like the pre-launch screenshots??

And many people cherry pick gameplay shots to show off the worse the game has to make the contrast much MUCH more significant than it is. Taking the best gameplay screenshot scenarios (like I have done in the past from off-screen photographs) and comparing it to the less artistically edited shots and the major differences become those of aliasing and photogenic angles that downplay the limitations of games in general.

Anyhow a lot of people questioned their media, e.g. the city decour. The shots they showed are from the media that made it into the game and people have gone through the game and taken screenshots and compared them to the same places in the realworld to demonstrate how good the art is in the finished game. I haven't seen any other racers with the same quality, especially in color balance, for their world. Even FM2 when looking at the world looks significantly less... fully saturated. Not that PGR3 is perfect by any means, but the scenary can look quite stunning.

Problem is PGR3 is it is rendered at 1024x600 with little AA and no AF, while the pre-release shots were of far higher fidelity.

People keep mentioning resolution... but the game looks and plays great. If you didnt know it was 1024X600 would you still complain?:rolleyes:

People keep mentioning resolution... but the game looks and plays great. If you didnt know it was 1024X600 would you still complain?:rolleyes:

I could certainly tell. It looked like a low-resolution game, esp, when you use the bumper camera. I think it looked absolutely fantastic except for that though. Night racing was sign. uglier tho. The lighting was very flat.

edit: to be specific my complaint was the insane amount of jaggies. A 1024*768 game with 2xAA doesn't cut it nowadays. Im playing it on a FW900 monitor, sitting only a foot or so away from the screen, so I could def. tell.

I could certainly tell. It looked like a low-resolution game, esp, when you use the bumper camera. I think it looked absolutely fantastic except for that though. Night racing was sign. uglier tho. The lighting was very flat.

edit: to be specific my complaint was the insane amount of jaggies. A 1024*768 game with 2xAA doesn't cut it nowadays. Im playing it on a FW900 monitor, sitting only a foot or so away from the screen, so I could def. tell.

I definitely understand your point and cop to obvious visual flaws in the game. I guess for me (and im no PGR apologist) i enjoyed the game enough not to be distracted. I play on an 110" DLP at 10 feet away..

Problem is PGR3 is it is rendered at 1024x600 with little AA and no AF, while the pre-release shots were of far higher fidelity.
That's not true. It certainly doesn't have AFx16 on all surfaces, but it doesn't mean no AF. It has excellent texture filtering on cars and it definitely has some AF on road and buildings (AFx2-AFx4)

And many people cherry pick gameplay shots to show off the worse the game has to make the contrast much MUCH more significant than it is. Taking the best gameplay screenshot scenarios (like I have done in the past from off-screen photographs) and comparing it to the less artistically edited shots and the major differences become those of aliasing and photogenic angles that downplay the limitations of games in general.

Screenshots are all well and good, but I own the game, and the best way I found to judge was compare the IQ in the garage portion of the game, which looks nearly identical to the PR screens (gorgeous), to the actual gameplay. The drop-off is quite jarring imo.

That's not true. It certainly doesn't have AFx16 on all surfaces, but it doesn't mean no AF. It has excellent texture filtering on cars and it definitely has some AF on road and buildings (AFx2-AFx4)
Then why do the road lines get so much blurrier on each mipmap level and with such stark contrast between them? I've never seen that on my PC when running 4xAF.

Then why do the road lines get so much blurrier on each mipmap level and with such stark contrast between them? I've never seen that on my PC when running 4xAF.
Looking at screens like that:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/319/reviews/927245_20051116_screen019.jpg
it seems that there's really no AF. But maybe Bizarre patched the game since its release (screenshot is from november 05), because last time I played it several months ago it roadmarks were visible at much further distance(or at least I remember it that way ;)). I'll try to borrow it from somebody soon.

I'm more excited about PGR4 than Forza 2. PGR has always been the sweet spot between Arcade and simulation for me, the driving model is sweet if you ask me, also the 30fps in this game doesn't bother me one bit.

Looking at screens like that:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/319/reviews/927245_20051116_screen019.jpg
it seems that there's really no AF. But maybe Bizarre patched the game since its release (screenshot is from november 05), because last time I played it several months ago it roadmarks were visible at much further distance(or at least I remember it that way ;)). I'll try to borrow it from somebody soon.
Ahh yeah, I hadn't played in ages and replaced my 360 recently so I lost all my saves, but I poped the game in and got an update which judging from the first track anyway seems to have added a little AF. It sitill a rather blurry and jaggy being low res, and not nearly enough texture filtering to counter the nasty shimmering on the guardrails, but the roads certianly looks better than that shot you posted which is what I remember the game looking like.

* I take that back, I think the lighting and lack of elevation on the first track just hid the lack of AF becuase I fired up a race across that bridge in the shot you posted and it still looks like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more excited about PGR4 than Forza 2. PGR has always been the sweet spot between Arcade and simulation for me, the driving model is sweet if you ask me, also the 30fps in this game doesn't bother me one bit.

Agreed.

Also agreed with pakotlar on the res limiting pgr. I could tell looking at the game that the res was holding the visuals back. I can't wait to see what the team has been able to come up with over the past two years given their statements after completing the game. (6 more months and it would have been 60fps, etc)

I still prefer traffic on the track (road) while racing though as it keeps the racing varied and exciting.

Back