Programming simple (3D-) graphics engine

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Okay, I hope this is the right forum as this is the first time I post topic here, though I've been reading these forums quite a while.

I've been thinking about trying start learning programming, namely try to develop simple graphics engine, which I would develop further and further as my skills would get better and better.
I was thinking about using either VisualC++ 6.0 or VisualC++.NET (which one would you prefer?), or is there better program for this?

I've never really done anything complex, I took some C classes last year, but that's about it, of course I'm familiar with (Visual)Basic 'till somepoint, but I believe it's rather irrelevant when talking about using C++ :D

What guides would be the best to read before starting?
Any other tips?

I can highly recommend Visual Studio .NET 2003. It keeps much closer to the C++ standard than its predecessors. If you're a student, you can probably use it with a non-commercial license for less than 50 $.

Although opinions differ widely, I can also recommend to learn C first. Although I currently work exclusively in C++, a deep understanding of C (and some assembly) will give you a very good start.

Learn C by experimenting with it and reading online tutorials. Don't try to immediately start with 3D graphics stuff! C++ is a lot more complex so it's best to buy a book like Bjarne Stroustrup's...

Nick said:
Learn C by experimenting with it and reading online tutorials. Don't try to immediately start with 3D graphics stuff! C++ is a lot more complex so it's best to buy a book like Bjarne Stroustrup's...

the 3D was there just for kicks, I'm keeping my goals reasonably low (I'll kill myself if I can't code engine that will kick Doom3-engines & Source engines asses within 2 months :devilish: ), I'm happy when I can get even a square or something on the screen, when I get it moving, I'll go insane :LOL:

So more C it is then..

There are two directions you can go. If your main goal is to learn graphics programming, you can still use VB for that. VB.NET can interface with DX9. You could then move on to C# or C++. (C# uses C++-like syntax, but would be similar to VB in the way it uses DX9.)

If your goal is to learn a more industry standard language, and the graphics part is mainly in order to have an interesting project, then go the C++ way.

In any case, you could start by going over the Direct3D tutorials, and trying to understand what they do.

I'm in the same possition here. Trying to learn C++ was useless for me because I had absolutely not practical application other than making lots of menues and such in a DOS window.
I'm happy when I can get even a square or something on the screen, when I get it moving, I'll go insane :LOL:
I feel the exact same way! Only thing is I think I'd rather learn some OpenGL becaus DX is limited to MS platform. But still, where are these DX tutorials you speak of?

Very true. I effectively learnt C by hacking around with MUD code years ago. Fortunately, the codebase was pretty clean and relatively simple (except the socket code) which was therefore a good tutorial.

A great intro project that will leave you feeling you've actually achieved something is to do something like clone Space Invaders in D3D or OpenGL, using little spinning squares and triangles as the invaders initially, then graduating to textures.

Back