Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on the X360

xmu

Regular
Hi,

I was planning on marching to the store and buy the X360 version of PES6, but then noticed the following someone said at Kotaku:

Now there is the latest issue with Pro Evo 6. The PS2 version is cheaper and has more content in it. For the 360 version (which is $20 more) to get up to speed of the PS2 version guess what you need? Microtransactions....and they're not free.

Now I take this with a grain of salt, but considering the recent Lumines debacle this got me a bit worried. I was unable to find confirmation on this anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone here knows something about it?

I can't say I know that, but FIFA07 was cut-back on the XB360 version versus the PS2 version. Um...I guess all that can be said is 'welcome to the next generation of gaming.'

:(

I got it in the mail today, it looks good (though noticably less impressive than FIFA 07 on Xbox 360), plays extremely well (best fluidity and gameplay in the series, as far as I can tell by today's matches), but is definitely cut back compared to the PS2.

Edit mode is castrated (you can only edit players, nothing else, not even transfers), there's only 8 statiums (which I don't mind, I only ever played in the 2 or 3 good looking ones in PES5 anyway) and you can't save replays (WTF Konami, ARGH!??!!!11111).

Other than that there's not that much cut (compared to FIFA 07, which has 20 less leagues). The Bundesliga is missing in all PES 6 versions, so the only "cut" content, compared to the PS2, is the missing "Other Leagues C" - featuring such well known teams as "Team 01" and "Team 12", as well as famous players like "Player 014" and "Player 162"... ;)

The game is ace, but the mising editing options and League C are a shame! Charging full price for this is, IMO, a rip-off. But it is the best looking and playing PES out there, and PES is the best footy game, so what choice do we have? Konami knows this, those bastards! :devilish:

Yeah I went to the store and almost bought the X360 version but decided to ask the guy anyways and he mentioned the missing editing options which we both agreed was utter crap. So I got the PS2 version then :)

Trying to get the network play up and running but after logging in I keep getting "connection to server lost". Guess the thing doesn't work one day before official launch? Or is the launch tomorrow only for Finland?

Edit mode is castrated (you can only edit players, nothing else, not even transfers),

false.

you can transfer the players, look better. actually I'm playing pes6 between my posts here.

Edit:
and I can't play high-jagged, high-aliased, very low resolution games anymore, so for me the ps2 is a no-go.
this level of detail is in the handled field (psp), I can't go back from my HDTV setup with 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I was planning on marching to the store and buy the X360 version of PES6, but then noticed the following someone said at Kotaku:

Now I take this with a grain of salt, but considering the recent Lumines debacle this got me a bit worried. I was unable to find confirmation on this anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone here knows something about it?

go to www.eurogamer.net ... they have posted a review. It's not good.

Actually I tried FIFA 07 and found it to be absolute shite. In my opinion, they tried to mimic what PES5 does right and only got it half right.

Now back to PES6, played the PS2 version a bit last night and well.. it's a lot harder, that's for sure :) I think every new iteration of PES has forced me to recalibrate my "insane" skills to some extent, but now it seems like I have to go back to square one altogether. But it's still fun, even though I can't find the SPANISH COMMENTARY ANYWHERE!!! For f**** sake Konami!

and I can't play high-jagged, high-aliased, very low resolution games anymore, so for me the ps2 is a no-go.
this level of detail is in the handled field (psp), I can't go back from my HDTV setup with 360.

I'm with you on this.. after spending couple of weeks playing only on the 360 in 720p, I was surprised how bad PES6 did indeed look (might be a problem with my component output though, I get this weird raster on screen).

But in the end I'd still choose the PS2 version - it's a matter of principle, if one console version has feature X, it should be on all versions.

false.

you can transfer the players, look better. actually I'm playing pes6 between my posts here.
Where? I couldn't find the option, please help! :!:

xmu said:
But in the end I'd still choose the PS2 version - it's a matter of principle, if one console version has feature X, it should be on all versions.
I guess 720p, high-res meshes and textures, additional animations, improved lighting and more don't qualify as "features"? They might not be mind-blowing, but they're definitely MUCH nicer than the PS2/PC version. ;)
As much as I might miss editing mode, I'd choose crisp, clean graphics and smooth gameplay over painting my own club logo any day! In the end I'll spend at least 20x as much time in the actual game, playing it, than I'm gonna spend editing stuff! So which is more important, gameplay or fiddling around with unimportant details? If real clubnames and logos were are so important, why not play FIFA in the first place?

groper said:
Yes it seems that this time PES is inferior to FIFA at least in graphics and physics.
Definitely. I hate to admit it, but graphics, animation, physics and controlls are all actually better now in FIFA. The gameplay still pales in comparison though, mostly because the AI simply isn't able to create anything that even remotely resembes a "real" match of football!

Get used to it or simply dont buy it, consoles are no longer just consoles, unfortunatly they'r turning into computer entertainment slot machines, except u dont get a decimal chance of winning huge money, just temporary mediocre entertainment.

As much as I might miss editing mode, I'd choose crisp, clean graphics and smooth gameplay over painting my own club logo any day!

Well, the smoothness is similar on both. Just more detail in the meshes and a higher resolution for the 360, and widescreen support.

On the other hand:

eurogamer.net said:
And while we're on the subject of grating, let's address the differences between the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions, which hardly flatter the new boy. On PlayStation 2, you can play four versus four online. On Xbox 360, you can play one on one, or two versus two offline (Xbox 360 has no support at all for more than four players on one console, either). On PS2, you can choose from 33 stadiums. On Xbox 360, there are eight. On PS2, you have the PES Shop to work through, unlocking extra bits and pieces. On Xbox 360, there is no shop - you get what you're given. On PS2, the menus allow you to quickly flick between starting eleven and substitutes; to view the scorers during a game by hitting the pause button; to save off replays to your memory card; to edit virtually anything in the game; to play an International Challenge mode, based on World Cup qualifying, and Random Selection matches, where teams are randomly drawn players from a chosen continent (simply brilliant for multiplayer pick-up matches). On Xbox 360, of all of that, all you can do is edit the player names. You can't even save replays, which is just ludicrous - particularly given that the manual actually says you can.

And on top of that, the PS2 version is cheaper.

I guess 720p, high-res meshes and textures, additional animations, improved lighting and more don't qualify as "features"? They might not be mind-blowing, but they're definitely MUCH nicer than the PS2/PC version. ;)
As much as I might miss editing mode, I'd choose crisp, clean graphics and smooth gameplay over painting my own club logo any day! In the end I'll spend at least 20x as much time in the actual game, playing it, than I'm gonna spend editing stuff! So which is more important, gameplay or fiddling around with unimportant details? If real clubnames and logos were are so important, why not play FIFA in the first place?

Well actually as Arwin quoted Eurogamer's review, there are other points too. Besides I'm still not comfortable with the X360 controller, as the Dualshock is something I've used for almost 10 years now :) I know these are minor points but doesn't matter, I made my choice :)

Gollum said:
Definitely. I hate to admit it, but graphics, animation, physics and controlls are all actually better now in FIFA. The gameplay still pales in comparison though, mostly because the AI simply isn't able to create anything that even remotely resembes a "real" match of football!

I found the player faces in FIFA to be a lot further off than in PES (the 360 version). I didn't like the physics or controls for that matter. But in the end I guess what matters most is the the overall gameplay experience, which as you stated just sucks in FIFA :) But I do admit that FIFA07 is a LOT better than the crap they've put out in the past, and based on the reviews I've read the online part is supposedly a lot better in FIFA.

Anyways, next year ought to be interesting when we get a chance to compare FIFA08 and PES7.

Well, the smoothness is similar on both. Just more detail in the meshes and a higher resolution for the 360, and widescreen support.
Which is enough to make a major difference, believe you me! Having seen them both, I wouldn't want to go back, even though its one of the weakee looking next-gen titles.

On the other hand:
I've read the review, yet most of the missing things are features that I'd rarely, if ever, use. The core, the heart of PES is alive and kicking on 360, the awesome gameplay. As for the missing features:
  • Missing editing options. It sucks, but I'll live.
  • No more than 4 players on a console. We've been having PES tournamnts on PS2 for years, often with as many as 11 people - yet we never played more than 2 vs. 2, as it just doesn't work well and isn't much fun. Not a feature anybody will miss.
  • The strangely lacking online support is a bummer, especially considering how awesome the online modes of other Live games are. Could very well be adressed in a Live update though (mails from Konami customer support hint that such an update is likely and it wouldn't be the first time for PES either).
  • Only 8 Stadiums. Like I said, I don't mind. Of course I'd PREFER more stadiums, but its not a make or break feature. The past games have taught me, that I'll only ever be playing in the handfull of decent looking ones anyway (those where the pitch doesn't make you eyes fall out). And the pitch in those 8 Stadiums looks really good on the 360, better than in any past PES game, or PES6 on PS2.
  • No Shop. Never, ever used classic teams or players and neither do I care about purchasing silly monkey or horse heads for the editing mode. There's less than a handfull of actually usefull things in that shop and nothing, that i couldn't live without. When I downloaded Option files for past PES titles, I always picked those with all shop items locked to be honest, because much of the stuff it offers are pointless gimicks. The PES Points are basically just an incentive for winning things like league and cup modes. Well on 360 you've got achievements to unlock, not the same but also a good motivation to complete those challenges.
  • Missing International Challenge mode. The World Cup is over. Master League, Exhibition Mode and Online are what I'll be playing about 95% of the time. I couldn't care less.
  • No saving of replays. Now that sucks major donkey ba... err I meant isn't nice. Konami dropped the ball on this one, shame on them!
Listen, I'm not trying to say the 360 isn't missing many features, it is. Fortunatelly only very few of them actually have any effect on what is important in a footy game TO ME. You might very well feel completely different about it and that's fine. It's not like they forgot to include the game though. All the important bits are in, including awesome gameplay and the best looking PES graphics to boot (FIFA looks better but still plays shite, so what?).

I'm willing to trade those features for the better graphics, though I'm still pissed at Konami and WILL remember it!

And on top of that, the PS2 version is cheaper.
Now that's an argument I can fully symapthize with!

Back