Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Blade

Veteran
Did anybody pick this title up yet? What do you think of it?

I got the Xbox version; I just passed the intro and initial impressions are good. Smooth gameplay, above-average graphics, and the level designs aren't half bad. The audio is fitting. Getting back to the gameplay.. it's like the original POP in 3D. Lots of that classic pit jumping and dangerous obstacles/traps. Easy early on, but I know it'll eventually get complicated. The control scheme is intuitive.. everything is done with only a few buttons, yet our Prince has a lot of different moves. Personally, I think he moves a little sluggishly but it's fine. What can you do?

Think Tomb Raider but with more acrobatics. You can run up and along walls (like Ninja Gaiden 4) wall-jump (like Super Metroid) sidle against walls, hop over enemies like Jack jumping over a freaking candlestick.. and I'm just getting started!

Even after only about 40 minutes of gameplay, I gotta give this one a thumbs up. Go rent it!

Don't expect it to get to much harder, from the reviews I've read it stay easy pretty much throughout. I believe IGN wrote "The prince makes it look so easy......and it is."

I'm 35% through, and so far it has gotten a little harder, but it's still not what I would call "hard".

Still, anyone who has the chance should try the game, it is pretty cool.

Is this another case of 'bad demo good game'
I tried the PS2 demo, and I can't find any of the good gualities in it that all those praising reviews boast :?
Clumsy camera, average graphics, boring combat, unimaginative levels... did they fix all that in the released game?

EvilCloud: Each version has their own bonus. I know that the GCN version has POP1 and the Xbox got POP2..

Dunno about PS2/PC/GBA versions.

PS2 version has PoP1 as unlockable. All three versions have a special secret level where one level from PoP1 is recreated using the 3D graphics engine used in the new game.

I think the game is really great. The camera and framerate are much, much more polished than in the demo, and combat is pretty decent too. There are several interesting moves that you can pull-off, and everything is very responsive and intuitive. Level setups are very cool, atmospheric and engrossing, production values very high.

Some people compare the game to Ico, and not without reason. Some gameplay elements and atmospheric effects used are rather simillar. PoP:SoT to me feels like a Hollywood take on Ico.

Got the GCN version of PoP but have'nt even opened it yet. Been playing Sphinx. Damn good Zelda- like game with beautiful vistas. I've preordered Glitch for XB though since it's more like a shooter suited for the XB controller. Btw the GBA version of PoP is pretty good as well. Too few save points is my only gripe. But otherwise a nice handheld game for on the go.

Back